It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm 
Mrs. Miller

I just read Shit My Dad Says and it was absolutely hilarious. A bunch of laugh-out-loud moments, for sure. It was a quick read too, I finished it in two days.

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
I concur.

Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite writers, maybe my favorite, and The Road ranks second to only Blood Meridian on my personal CM list. But The Road is much shorter and easier to read than Blood Meridian, so it could be a good starting point if you've never read any of his books.

Anyone see the movie? I wanted to see it on the big screen but it sort of came and went in a flash. Nick Cave composed the score.

I read those two books my first year of college. My English professor was an older man from Ireland who loved Cormac McCarthy (and James Joyce). He was definitely my favorite teacher I've ever had...I adore him!

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:10 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

fly as hale wrote:
I just read Shit My Dad Says and it was absolutely hilarious. A bunch of laugh-out-loud moments, for sure. It was a quick read too, I finished it in two days.

I agree. I don't read a lot of stuff, but bought this on my iPad.

It's hilarious.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

fly as hale wrote:
I read those two books my first year of college. My English professor was an older man from Ireland who loved Cormac McCarthy (and James Joyce). He was definitely my favorite teacher I've ever had...I adore him!

Wow, Blood Meridian is a pretty difficult book for a 1st year college course. Also extremely violent.

Funny to me that those two authors are his favorites. Like I said, I love McCarthy, but I've never read a James Joyce book. I have a prejudice against Joyce, or I should say against people who say Joyce is their favorite writer. I've always found people who say that to be, how shall I put it, pretentious. They often strike me as people who think that reading Joyce makes them intellectual artists. I personally think many people who say Joyce is their favorite think they're supposed to like him more than they actually do, but they'd be embarrassed to admit they really enjoy Danielle Steel books more.

Of course you could easily say McCarthy is an overly intellectual writer too. And this is all really just my baggage and your professor probably isn't at all like the people I'm describing. But I had to mention that.

Stuuuuuuuuuuu's tip of the day: be wary of anyone you meet who seems to try too hard and says their favorite writer is James Joyce.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:59 am 
Mrs. Miller

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Wow, Blood Meridian is a pretty difficult book for a 1st year college course. Also extremely violent.

Funny to me that those two authors are his favorites. Like I said, I love McCarthy, but I've never read a James Joyce book. I have a prejudice against Joyce, or I should say against people who say Joyce is their favorite writer. I've always found people who say that to be, how shall I put it, pretentious. They often strike me as people who think that reading Joyce makes them intellectual artists. I personally think many people who say Joyce is their favorite think they're supposed to like him more than they actually do, but they'd be embarrassed to admit they really enjoy Danielle Steel books more.

Of course you could easily say McCarthy is an overly intellectual writer too. And this is all really just my baggage and your professor probably isn't at all like the people I'm describing. But I had to mention that.

Stuuuuuuuuuuu's tip of the day: be wary of anyone you meet who seems to try too hard and says their favorite writer is James Joyce.

I think my professor mostly loves James Joyce because he's Irish... He does this James Joyce/Irish Heritage event every year here in Buffalo.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:04 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I could be way off-base with this whole Joyce thing. So let's test it out. Anyone here who's read say Ulysses and totally loved it?

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:26 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Reading "The Tommyknockers"...Really good so far, freaky.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Los9090 wrote:

Read that when I was 13 during my Stephen King binge. I loved it.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:30 am 
Captain Dynasty

Up Til Now.

William Shatner's autobiography.

Gold.

Rud
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:12 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Reading Ovid's Metamorphoses right now. Gonna read Moby Dick once I finish

Sneaky E
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 pm 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

I wonder if everyone goes through a Stephen King craze? I remember being obsessed with his books a few years ago. He's so out there, I love it.

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:27 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Sneaky E wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

I wonder if everyone goes through a Stephen King craze? I remember being obsessed with his books a few years ago. He's so out there, I love it.

My parents wouldn't buy me his books, so I didn't read my first King book until I was like 23...and that was "It". I wish King wouldn't ramble with his descriptions...

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:46 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I would pick up Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' if you want a fun read about...um...everything

peteythedancingsabre
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 pm 
Textbook Grinder

I'm currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. So far it's a freakin' awesome book.

I also had to read this book Three Cups of Tea for a UB 101 class I'm teaching next semester, and quite honestly it's fantastic. It really gives you a different perspective of the middle eastern nations. It's very cool.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:14 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

peteythedancingsabre wrote:
I'm currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. So far it's a freakin' awesome book.

I also had to read this book Three Cups of Tea for a UB 101 class I'm teaching next semester, and quite honestly it's fantastic. It really gives you a different perspective of the middle eastern nations. It's very cool.

Teaching a class at UB eh? Kudos. Is it a class on the Middle East? Polisci? History? Literature?

peteythedancingsabre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:12 pm 
Textbook Grinder

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Teaching a class at UB eh? Kudos. Is it a class on the Middle East? Polisci? History? Literature?

Haha no, it's just UB 101. Like, intro to UB. Kind of a bs class for freshman to take cause it doesn't really introduce you to anything, but it'll look good on my resume. For the most part I'm just a TA but I get to teach a few of the classes myself, which will be nifty.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:59 pm 
Superstar Goalie

That's a great book. I'd recommended Pandora's Seed for ya.

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:15 pm 
Superstar Goalie

FINALLY finished the Tommyknockers. You know? It could have been better, the last 150 pages were stellar but it was a bit long winded. I even read Maniac McGee just to get a fresh restart with Tommyknockers.

I started Lost Symbol by Dan Brown...

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:40 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Los9090 wrote:
FINALLY finished the Tommyknockers. You know? It could have been better, the last 150 pages were stellar but it was a bit long winded. I even read Maniac McGee just to get a fresh restart with Tommyknockers.

I started Lost Symbol by Dan Brown...

I read Angels and Demons a few months ago (because it was free and the movie wasn't) and I must say that it completely pissed me off. The ending was borderline retarded, but if you can skip the last few chapters, it's a really entertaining book.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Tvan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
7th Defenseman

Sneaky E wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

I did! When I was in middle school I read Pet Semetary, The Dead Zone and The Shining. My all time favorite is "The Stand". I've read it at least five or six times (I just finished it again last month). It's has a lot of themes: apocalypse, good vs. evil, religion, relationships etc.

Another book I like is "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It's HYSTERICAL! Even if you've never read Jane Austin's real story (but if you did that's a bonus...I've read "Pride and Prejudice" quite a few times and that made P&P&Z even funnier...)

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Since you've read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, have you heard of Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter? All three are by the same author.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next