It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Sc's#1SabresFan
 Post subject: Re: NHL 11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:15 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

THANK YOU

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:55 pm 
7th Defenseman

YAY! the game was only released two and a half months ago!!

Rud
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I was playing Season mode and Rivet got injured. This somehow resulted in the computer sending down Ennis then calling up McCormick and Mancari. When I called Ennis back up, the game auto-assigned him number 11 for his jersey. I yelled "OH MY GOD!" when I saw this mid-game and immediately exited the game to rectify this

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i can not express how bad this game is in some aspects. A. if i turn the difficulty up, it doesnt get more difficult to play against, their goalie just becomes super human, and their shots get more accurate. ill still outshoot them 35-9, but they will win 4-1. how much fun is that? and the goals they score. somehow, my goalie will get himself out of position, and the computer will just lob a shot into the corner.

or sometimes my goalie will make a save, and the puck will go in the air. my defenseman will wait for it, and somehow wont get it, but their player will zoom in, and get it and score. immediately.

or, heres a fun one. my goalie will make a save, and go to cover it, but somehow the computer will zoom in and poke it in.

and the passing. my god. how many times have i tried to pass to an open player and the pass goes to someone else. or the pass will go to the right player... sorta. usually it just misses by a mile. and this happens ALL THE TIME on odd man rushes.

slow changes too. how many times, on a PK have i gotten the puck, lifted it down the ice, and called for a wholesale change? all the time. how many times has a defensemen raced back (mind you, he was at the centre line when i called for the change) and throw a 150 foot pass to some streaking forward, and none of my players are 15 feet from the bench? happens ALL THE TIME.

edit: my god, a game like this JUST happened. lost to new jersey 2-1. i outshot them 27-16. granted, thats ok, i like a challenge, it wasnt that lopsided. but i was up 1-0. they take a shot that hits millers shoulder, and pops up. that happens. nothing wrong yet. the puck lands behind miller. everytime this happens, the goalie lays down on it. but as hes going down, a new jersey forward gets in there, and to add insult to injury, he roofs it off the cross bar and miller is laying down. do you know how often ive knocked in a puck as the goalie goes to lay down? 0. how many times have i been right there to jam it in? countless. the second goal was a turn over that was my fault, so no complaints there except my own impatience.

fan4life61
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i can not express how bad this game is in some aspects. A. if i turn the difficulty up, it doesnt get more difficult to play against, their goalie just becomes super human, and their shots get more accurate. ill still outshoot them 35-9, but they will win 4-1. how much fun is that? and the goals they score. somehow, my goalie will get himself out of position, and the computer will just lob a shot into the corner.

or sometimes my goalie will make a save, and the puck will go in the air. my defenseman will wait for it, and somehow wont get it, but their player will zoom in, and get it and score. immediately.

or, heres a fun one. my goalie will make a save, and go to cover it, but somehow the computer will zoom in and poke it in.

and the passing. my god. how many times have i tried to pass to an open player and the pass goes to someone else. or the pass will go to the right player... sorta. usually it just misses by a mile. and this happens ALL THE TIME on odd man rushes.

slow changes too. how many times, on a PK have i gotten the puck, lifted it down the ice, and called for a wholesale change? all the time. how many times has a defensemen raced back (mind you, he was at the centre line when i called for the change) and throw a 150 foot pass to some streaking forward, and none of my players are 15 feet from the bench? happens ALL THE TIME.

edit: my god, a game like this JUST happened. lost to new jersey 2-1. i outshot them 27-16. granted, thats ok, i like a challenge, it wasnt that lopsided. but i was up 1-0. they take a shot that hits millers shoulder, and pops up. that happens. nothing wrong yet. the puck lands behind miller. everytime this happens, the goalie lays down on it. but as hes going down, a new jersey forward gets in there, and to add insult to injury, he roofs it off the cross bar and miller is laying down. do you know how often ive knocked in a puck as the goalie goes to lay down? 0. how many times have i been right there to jam it in? countless. the second goal was a turn over that was my fault, so no complaints there except my own impatience.

this this this this this and this

"on the ice now for buffalo, looking for the pass, and gets it, afinogenov, couldnt get the shot away, now HE DOES, HE SCORES!!!! HOLY MACKEREL ROLE THE HIGH LIGHT FILM, MAXIM AFINOGENOV, WHAT A MOVE!!!!.... thats not fair... that was unbelievable"
-R.J. and Lorenz

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 am 
Power Forward

Are we playing the same game? I'm definitely not here to insult, but as far as sports games go, I think this is one of the most polished ones...Ever.

The passes seem spot on, in my opinion. How many times during a real hockey game is a pass intercepted through the neutral zone? A lot. It's a huge part of hockey. As for intended passing, i've never had an issue. There are certain times where the pass goes astray, but hey, thats hockey.

My dorm room ran a 4 person season mode and they played on pro while I played on All pro and went 82-0. Won all 16 in the playoffs, including 4 against my roomate and won the cup.

I started playing superstar and won ten games in a row but in my most recent season I started 1-2. So no, i'm far from invincible.

I think it's just constant practice and good hand eye. On an average superstar game, I can hold the AI to 1 or 2 goals. You just have to backcheck and help out on defense. Just defending your own man will not do it. You have to get into the flow of the game.

If you play online, try to copy some of the opposing players strategies to get a little more into the game.

Disclaimer: NHL 11 and Black ops are the ONLY 2 video games I am good at, so i'm not bragging.

As for sports games, I think this and MLB the show are top noche true to the sport games. NHL is the only EA sports games (maybe fifa too) that seems to get better every year. I swear, as for games like Madden, they take out options just to later implement them and advertise them. In Madden 2025, the new feature will be the ability to sign free agents. So pumped.

I'm not very good at most sports games, i'd say about average, but NHL is my niche I guess.

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 am 
Power Forward

Oh and another tip. As for passing in the offensive zone. Cycle cycle cycle. Find the down low guy as much as possible and move the puck. In a lot of cases, you can either draw a penalty or find a guy WIDE open.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:43 pm 
Hart Winner

I can score nastily, but most of the AI's fucking goals come from my goalie fucking up. I'd have my defensemen going for it, then the goalie would rush out and take control of it, then get stick checked. It's so damn weird. Then, the goalie passes it to the net, and it bounces to their guy for an easy goal.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:02 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

My only complaint is the random retard goalie. Happens in every game mode on every difficulty level I've played on.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 pm 
Captain Dynasty

its fun, but certain things piss me off. i understand if i make a dumb play and it gets turned over, thats on me. but what i mean is ill carry the puck into the offensive zone down the sideboards, and pull up to pass back to the defensemen. ya know, start a cycle. (which, its amazing to see a cycle work in a video game. so much fun).. but instead of passing straight back, it passes across ice. i didnt want that. and i look at the replay to see where my sticks are lined up and its to where i want it to be.

i played a game today, lost 3-2 but outshot them 20-10. no big deal, but that happens too much.

but so many things are right with this game that i cant put it down. i love playing the AHL portion of my season, because i dont give a shit who gets what stat, and its always a close, 2-1 or 3-2 game. thats so much fun to me.

the retarded goalie thing is just stupid. why my goalie finds himself out of position, and they lob the puck into the net, i have no idea.

fan4life61
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:20 pm 
PP Quarterback

yea, i love the game and think its really good, mainly my only complaint is what mike was saying with the difficulty settings, i'll play on pro and win 10-0, i'll go to allstar out shoot them 36-12 and either win 3-2 or lose 2-1, i'll play superstar, out shoot them 40-15 and loose 6-2.

the difficulties are so fucked in that it just makes them pinpoint accurate and your goalie retarded.

"on the ice now for buffalo, looking for the pass, and gets it, afinogenov, couldnt get the shot away, now HE DOES, HE SCORES!!!! HOLY MACKEREL ROLE THE HIGH LIGHT FILM, MAXIM AFINOGENOV, WHAT A MOVE!!!!.... thats not fair... that was unbelievable"
-R.J. and Lorenz

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

and i still cant figure out how to make my player hustle.

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm 
Power Forward

I'm finally pumped though that most of the "glitch" or "cheese" moves have finally been removed. Like if i'm down 5-2 in nhl 10 and before, i'm going to try to climb back up in the best possible fashion for me, which may involve that crazy backhand forehand move that almost ALWAYS scored.

The superstar mode was WAY too easy in the previous games. You could always cheese to score and get past the ai.

It was capped for this game and finally it seems more like hockey.

Superstar, if you don't have a good team and good goalie, can fuck you in NHL 2011.

Tip: As for preventing goals. GET BIG on defense. While the players like Sekera and Gragnani can get the puck up the ice fairly easily, the best defensemen in this game are the Gill, Phaneuf type.

If you do a fantasy draft, draft the first 7 picks as defensemen and a goalie. They are the most important players in NHL 2011. Anyone can score a goal, but not everyone can stop it.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:52 pm 
Hart Winner

Markus wrote:
I'm finally pumped though that most of the "glitch" or "cheese" moves have finally been removed. Like if i'm down 5-2 in nhl 10 and before, i'm going to try to climb back up in the best possible fashion for me, which may involve that crazy backhand forehand move that almost ALWAYS scored.

The superstar mode was WAY too easy in the previous games. You could always cheese to score and get past the ai.

Superstar, if you don't have a good team and good goalie, can fuck you in NHL 2011.

Tip: As for preventing goals. GET BIG on defense. While the players like Sekera and Gragnani can get the puck up the ice fairly easily, the best defensemen in this game are the Gill, Phaneuf type.

If you do a fantasy draft, draft the first 7 picks as defensemen and a goalie. They are the most important players in NHL 2011. Anyone can score a goal, but not everyone can stop it.

I call bullshit, I had an overall 74 defensemen crushing people and making amazing plays in Be a GM...

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:57 pm 
Power Forward

BlueandYellow wrote:
Markus wrote:

I call bullshit, I had an overall 74 defensemen crushing people and making amazing plays in Be a GM...

That's exactly what I just said I believe. I didn't mean "get amazing" I meant get size on defense. OBVIOUSLY the speed guys can carry the puck up better, but a player like Gill in this game is so shutdown you'll never have an issue on defense.

If you have a player with both, like Phaneuf, that's fantastic.

I'll try to garner some proof real quick.

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:07 pm 
Power Forward

Ok worst quality picture ever...but you get it. This is on superstar with some pretty sized defensemen. Am I going to hold an NHL team to 1 shot? No. But I think you get it. I scored goals with Grags, Hecht, Parrish, and others I cannot remember.

The only reason I barely had hits is because they rarely had the puck...

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm 
Hart Winner

I tend to be a better scorer with better guys on offense. For me, defense isn't much of a necessity.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:37 pm 
Captain Dynasty

defense is super easy.. force them to the outside, and time a hit around the blue line.

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:47 pm 
Power Forward

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
defense is super easy.. force them to the outside, and time a hit around the blue line.

Yes but on superstar they have some pretty "nifty" passes and if you have a small guy like ennis or gerbe (who are both on my starting 12, and very good) you are NOT usually knocking a guy off the puck.

Dump ins are somewhat easy to recover, but in a lot of cases a fast AI opposing forward will get to the puck before you do.

This is the game I just busted out. Miller played outstanding. About the same in stats except they outhit me. Passing percentage was about the same as well. Just about 75%.

I'm now 2-2 on my superstar be a gm. Seems some games like this are super easy, but I know i'll run into a tough game.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 pm 
Captain Dynasty

and i dont mind stretches where i struggle to score. i love a challenge. just some things are maddening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next