It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:49 am 
Star Sniper

Do you know of a way to get rid of the crunchy/stuck buttons as a result of spilling iced teas on your controller?

I took mine apart hoping I could get in there with a Fantastik soaked Q-Tip but the letter buttons on my ps3GC are kind of right up against the circuit board. I walked away from it, will try again later (when I am better focused), but so far it's a fail. may have to buy a new one.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Sure....the "sticky fluid" is soda. I have "never" had that problem. :?

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 pm 
Star Sniper

haha sure...

Look it...I don't recommend opening up the game controller, there's a lot going on in there. :?

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:24 pm 
Page Side

Yeah. You swap it with one of your friend's controllers when you go over to their house.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm 
Superstar Goalie

My PS3 controller shit the bed about three weeks ago and I sat there fucking with it for a few days before I threw it in the fucking trash. Those things are way too fickle. If you don't have everything just right you're doomed and the shitty thing is that you can fix one problem only to spend another hour trying to find a new problem that was caused by fixing the old problem which leads to a new problem which leads to drinking which leads to domestic violence and eventually prison sex. That's just a bag of problems you don't want brother.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:31 pm 
Page Side

Displaced Fan wrote:
My PS3 controller shit the bed about three weeks ago and I sat there fucking with it for a few days before I threw it in the fucking trash. Those things are way too fickle. If you don't have everything just right you're doomed and the shitty thing is that you can fix one problem only to spend another hour trying to find a new problem that was caused by fixing the old problem which leads to a new problem which leads to drinking which leads to domestic violence and eventually prison sex. That's just a bag of problems you don't want brother.

You know what else sucks about PS3 controllers? No indent on the analogue sticks. Stupid.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:59 pm 
Superstar Goalie

There are analogue sticks man

Edit: read that wrong....i caught the dum

Last edited by Displaced Fan on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:58 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

yeah, game controllers of all types are usually sprung together in such a way that makes putting them back together difficult unless you have the hands of an 8 year old Chinese sweat shop employee.

Your methodology seems sound though. I'd go at it with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Don't worry about the circuit board, just go for it.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 pm 
Star Sniper

I did it! Man I totally did create like 3 other problems in the process but I stuck with it (perks make you chill...) and got it all back together and it's good as new!!

wooo

but yeah, I'm not doing that again, and psp...ur evil man, thats just wrong

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:48 pm 
Cup Winner

I've taken apart a PS3 controller and put it back together with super ease. I've also done it with PS2 controllers.

My one button was sticking so I cracked it open and cleaned the buttons up. I honestly need to do it again because I spilled ketchup on the analog sticks and didn't get all of it off.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:43 pm 
Star Sniper

lol ketchup?! yuk, u know that will become a really foul odder in time so u better do it soon!

one of the screw would not unscrew, so i had to kind of pop it open and the buttons inside went everywhere. the hardest part was getti g the plastice circuit board section to fit between the button houseling and the rubber button cushin. took many tries to get that back together.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:46 pm 
Cup Winner

Well I licked most if not all of it out and up from the controller.

It doesn't stink and this happened probably months ago now. I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:00 am 
Franchise Defenseman

A few months ago a friend and I were trying to make my PS1 run cleanly again... the screen had all these funky triangles running down it making gameplay ridiculous. Well we took the thing apart, cleaned it and put it back together again. Nothing. Then we figured out it was because the plug wasn't in all the way. :D

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:48 pm 
Cup Winner

I've taken my old PS2 apart plenty of times before. It was quite fun.

Rud wrote:

Montalo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm 
PP Quarterback

how hard is it to put a bigger HD on your ps3

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:59 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Montalo wrote:
how hard is it to put a bigger HD on your ps3

Super easy. Back up your stuff to an external USB drive with the PS3 backup utility, swap the hard drive, restore from a backup, done.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:50 pm 
Cup Winner

Take the plastic cover from where the HDD is at, take the one screw holding the case of the HDD in the PS3, then remove the four screws holding the HDD in the case. Rinse and repeat in opposite order to replace the HDD.

And they are SATA 2.5" disk drives.

For you visual learners.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

Rud wrote:

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 pm 
Star Sniper

drop keyboard, it broke, opened it up, and fixed it. I am becoming quite the tinkerer.

daz28
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm 
Star Sniper

I'd buy a new one at Wal-Mart, stick the broke one back in the box, and return it. They should still be able to eek out a profit charging what they charge. Speaking of Wal-Mart thievery, they charge like $75 for AC adapters for your lappy(that are universal junk to boot). $10 online.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm 
Hart Winner

So you jerked off on your controller?