It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:13 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I have a new idea... I just came up with this recently... I have posted this in a couple other threads, but I'd like a separate thread to get your thoughts. I think it would work perfectly to help the American public be a bit more objective in the election of politicians... this hit me after bouncing between NFL radio and news channels stuff...

1) Anyone running for an elected office MUST take wonderlic test within 3 months of the election. For EVERY election...

2) Anyone running for an elected ofice MUST take a recent photo, 8x10, within 3 months of the election...

The scores of the test and pictures (8x10) will be displayed in the voting booth at the election...

And there should be a minimum requirement scored on the wonderlic to be eligible to run for office... if you score an astonishing Vince Young 6 on the test... maybe your not fit for office...

We may not be able to have term limits, but should we have a little bit more of an objective measure of these people... we have a combine for football players, we measure them left right and sideways... should we not have a bit more of a baseline and measurement for politicians...

E X C E L L E N C E

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:54 am 
Captain Dynasty

It might not be a bad idea, but it probably needs some tweaking. Intelligence does not in itself make a good leader. I guess I have an issue with those things being placed in voting booths since people have a tendency to judge based on their most recent experience with something.

I would however like them to be well known and widely circulated beforehand.

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:07 am 
Garbage Man

Our most intelligent presidents have been Thomas Jefferson (wrote Declaration of Independence, founded University of Virginia), Woodrow Wilson (president of Princeton University), Jimmy Carter (nuclear engineer), and Bill Clinton (Rhodes scholar).

There is not historical concensus that they have been our greatest presidents.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 am 
Captain Dynasty

Godzilla1960 wrote:
Our most intelligent presidents have been Thomas Jefferson (wrote Declaration of Independence, founded University of Virginia), Woodrow Wilson (president of Princeton University), Jimmy Carter (nuclear engineer), and Bill Clinton (Rhodes scholar).

There is not historical concensus that they have been our greatest presidents.

It still can't hurt for it to be a factor.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The Wonderlic test doesn't do an accurate job measuring the aptitude of football players. Why would we expect it to do a better job with politicians?

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:38 pm 
Garbage Man

We have had plenty of presidents who historians have judge to be great or near-great, yet who were of average intelligence (George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower).

To be an effective president you don't have to be the smartest person in the room, just smart enough to be in the room.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:29 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Im just looking for a more objective measure.... and a base line to see when someone's skills has diminished... and picture and a test score would tell me a lot... and it certainly does NOT have to be a factor in how you vote.... but say you take someone like Robert Byrd... and his wonderlic test shows that when he first ran for office he scored a 19 on the wonderlic, which would be an extremely high score.... and in his latest election, he scores a 2.... well you now have a bit more of an objective measure of the persons mental capacity ... you can't tell me that someone like Robert Byrd and MANY others through out the years, are just as sharp when they get into office, as say when they are 91.... and if they are, god bless and keep rolling.... but if they aren't, shouldn't WE the people know a little more about these guys...

E X C E L L E N C E

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:58 am 
Garbage Man

gr8daygo wrote:
Im just looking for a more objective measure.... and a base line to see when someone's skills has diminished... and picture and a test score would tell me a lot... and it certainly does NOT have to be a factor in how you vote.... but say you take someone like Robert Byrd... and his wonderlic test shows that when he first ran for office he scored a 19 on the wonderlic, which would be an extremely high score.... and in his latest election, he scores a 2.... well you now have a bit more of an objective measure of the persons mental capacity ... you can't tell me that someone like Robert Byrd and MANY others through out the years, are just as sharp when they get into office, as say when they are 91.... and if they are, god bless and keep rolling.... but if they aren't, shouldn't WE the people know a little more about these guys...

Isn't it possible, especially in our time of groundbreaking communication technology, to evaluate a politican's mental capacity based on his record, speeches, and campaign appearances? Why is a test needed? Simply pay attention to what kind of job he or she has done. Do you honestly think the people of South Carolina didn't know that Strom Thurmond was just a fraction of the man he used to be in 1996 when they once again elected him to the U.S. Senate at the age of 94 (he retired from the Senate in 2002 at the age of 100)? They knew that most of the work was being done by his staff, yet they elected him anyway.

And that is the weak point in the democratic republican system of government: sometimes the people make stupid choices.

Maybe it isn't the politicians who need an intelligence test?

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Godzilla1960 wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:

Isn't it possible, especially in our time of groundbreaking communication technology, to evaluate a politican's mental capacity based on his record, speeches, and campaign appearances? Why is a test needed? Simply pay attention to what kind of job he or she has done. Do you honestly think the people of South Carolina didn't know that Strom Thurmond was just a fraction of the man he used to be in 1996 when they once again elected him to the U.S. Senate at the age of 94 (he retired from the Senate in 2002 at the age of 100)? They knew that most of the work was being done by his staff, yet they elected him anyway.

And that is the weak point in the democratic republican system of government: sometimes the people make stupid choices.

oh i totally agree that it is still the responsibility of the people to be educated on their decisions! But the politicians don't make it overly easy for the people. Byrd still uses a photo probably taken 40 years ago... why shouldn't politicians have a baseline that could be tracked year in year out? Doctors and nurses need to do continuing education... Asking a politician for term limits is something that will probably NEVER occur, so why can't we ask for a simple aptitude test and picture, so we have a simple concise baseline of measurement on these people election in and election out... Of course you bring up a great point, how would we know its not simply the staff taking the test, lol....

E X C E L L E N C E

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:45 am 
Power Forward

Godzilla1960 wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:

You shouldnt base someones intelligence off a speech they make during their campaign. I mean dont get me wrong when I say this.. but Obama didn't write any of his speeches for his campaign. I think he is a very intelligent man but I dont think you should base someones intelligence off of something that they probably didnt write. Im sure in fact that most presidential candidates dont write their own speeches.

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 pm 
Star Sniper

Rutledge222 wrote:

You shouldnt base someones intelligence off a speech they make during their campaign. I mean dont get me wrong when I say this.. but Obama didn't write any of his speeches for his campaign. I think he is a very intelligent man but I dont think you should base someones intelligence off of something that they probably didnt write. Im sure in fact that most presidential candidates dont write their own speeches.

They also have to say and do things during the election to gain party support. That's why I'm not a fan of "broken promises". Just judge the guy by what he's actually doing once he's in office. The election is a whole different ball of wax.

Also, Zilla is correct. It's the voters fault if they allow a tarded representative to fall through the cracks. Just don't vote for the dumb guy, and he won't represent you(no offense if G.W. Bush reads this).