It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:37 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Displaced Fan wrote:
Anyone saying this "burqa ban" is a way to liberate women are hiding behind that to veil their own fears and hatred towards Islam.

Bullshit.
As I previously mentioned I have many friends and colleagues who are Muslims and NONE of them or their family members wear the burqa.

It is exclusive to the type of Islam that systematically oppresses women and I reject it.

No one seems to have mentioned that fact yet.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 am 

Squanto wrote:
Targeting Muslims is religious persecution, not racism.

What's it called when they target us?

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Displaced Fan wrote:

Anyone saying this "burqa ban" is a way to liberate women are hiding behind that to veil their own fears and hatred towards Islam. Have you ever spoken to a Muslim woman who said "Yeah these things suck and I wish they would ban them!"? No of course you haven't

No, of course we havent...they're not allowed to talk to men. :)

Last edited by YankeeInRaleigh on Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:50 am 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:

:doh: This is exactly the ignorant shit I hear from people. Muslims attacked us so ALL Muslims are at fault. Pretty sad thing to hear.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:54 am 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
Bullshit.
As I previously mentioned I have many friends and colleagues who are Muslims and NONE of them or their family members wear the burqa.

It is exclusive to the type of Islam that systematically oppresses women and I reject it.

No one seems to have mentioned that fact yet.

I didn't say you shouldn't reject it, jesus are you just trying to fight about shit? I said flat out several times that it's oppressive and bull. It's just none of our business and not our place to step in. I think the "ban" being put in place stems mostly from fear brought on by terrorism rather than the PR reason of liberation. What do you think about the Swiss Mosque ban then? More liberation?

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 am 
Superstar Goalie

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
No, or course we havent...they're not allowed to talk to men. :)

Touche :lol:

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 am 

Displaced Fan wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:

:doh: This is exactly the ignorant shit I hear from people. Muslims attacked us so ALL Muslims are at fault. Pretty sad thing to hear.

It was a hypothetical question meant to provoke thought.
But please, we can keep ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the room just like Eric Holder.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:58 am 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:

It was a hypothetical question meant to provoke thought.
But please, we can keep ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the room just like Eric Holder.

Made me think it was an uneducated spout off, so if I was supposed to ponder it I guess I missed the point. Profiling in an airport or the like isn't what is being talked about here. We're talking about changing someone's religious practice and cultural tradition, not preventing terrorism that stems from the Middle East.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 am 

Displaced Fan wrote:
I said flat out several times that it's oppressive and bull. It's just none of our business and not our place to step in.

I disagree...if we don't give a voice to oppressed women, who will? They have no voice by penalty of death.
Quote:
I think the "ban" being put in place stems mostly from fear brought on by terrorism rather than the PR reason of liberation. What do you think about the Swiss Mosque ban then? More liberation?

I can't speak to the motivation of others on the other side of the planet.

There is no Swiss "mosque ban" though. They voted to ban new construction of minarets on Mosques. It seems pretty stupid to me because I don't see it accomplishing anything other than pissing off Muslims.
Luckily for Switzerland, the type of Muslims living in their country are from Turkey and Kosovo and not the type that tend to blow shit up when offended (or wear burqas).

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:28 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
I disagree...if we don't give a voice to oppressed women, who will? They have no voice by penalty of death.

There is no Swiss "mosque ban" though. They voted to ban new construction of minarets on Mosques. It seems pretty stupid to me because I don't see it accomplishing anything other than pissing off Muslims.
Luckily for Switzerland, the type of Muslims living in their country are from Turkey and Kosovo and not the type that tend to blow shit up when offended (or wear burqas).

I think that teaching young children that the earth was created in a week some 7,000 years ago is wrong and that the children have no voices. Teaching them that rubbish when they don't have the ability to decide for themselves is dangerous and wrong in my opinion but it's not place to stop them as long as they don't try and teach it to my kids. As much as I hate it, I have no right to step into their lives and demand change. I think that the 70% of muslim women outside of the Middle East who don't wear a burqa is a sign of liberation and progress though.

As for the minaret ban it would be like being told that you can't build a steeple on the top of your Catholic church. I agree that the only thing that comes from that is angering the Muslim population for no gain. Just caught a quote from the Swiss justice minister saying that the ban “reflects fears among the population of Islamic fundamentalist tendencies.” That sucks. Don't really know what else to say, haha.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:48 pm 

Well the only issue I have with that analogy is kids eventually have their own voice.
As an adult I haven't practiced the religion in which I was raised, however I do believe it was a beneficial influence in my life.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:20 pm 
Hart Winner

Crap. I didn't mean racist. I actually meant prejudice.

Phil almost killed me with his swords.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:46 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
Well the only issue I have with that analogy is kids eventually have their own voice.
As an adult I haven't practiced the religion in which I was raised, however I do believe it was a beneficial influence in my life.

I'm assuming your parents didn't home school you, teach you that the Bible creation story was literal or that science is evil. Kids are a captive audience and I'm not saying that teaching them religious values is a bad thing, I'm saying that the teachings of any religious fanatic, especially to children is terrible. I went to the First Pres in Lewiston and it was great. It had a big role in shaping me but the difference between sunday school and teaching kids ignorance is a huge diff. Religion has the potential to save people from themselves and help millions, but it also has the potential to be the root of unbelievable violence and hate.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 pm 

I was raised Mormon so it was probably more strict than you think.

My point is once one becomes an adult one can make up their own mind (as we both did).
Unless one is a brain washed cultist.
Which is a completely separate scenario from a society systematically keeping someone down against their will.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:48 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Wow, you're the first Mormon I have heard of from Lewiston. I mean I guess I just never thought of it before. Not saying that to be a douche. And yeah, that's a whole other can of beans.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:17 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
Wow, you're the first Mormon I have heard of from Lewiston. I mean I guess I just never thought of it before. Not saying that to be a douche. And yeah, that's a whole other can of beans.

The Mormon church for the entire Niagara Falls area is in Lewiston.
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&cl ... 16&iwloc=A

I can think of 3 or 4 that you graduated with and there were at least 5 in my class at Lew-Port.
I'm guessing most people know lots of Mormons and don't realize it because people assume they dress like Amish people and have multiple wives.

Despite what HBO would have people believe, Mormons are, in fact, quite normal folks.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

My misconception was always the suits with name tags for all the "Elders"

Captain Pants
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:15 am 
Brawler

Displaced Fan wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
The Muslims are the ones who moved into western society, so the obligation to make societal concessions is on them, not the other way around IMO.

Anyone saying this "burqa ban" is a way to liberate women are hiding behind that to veil their own fears and hatred towards Islam. Have you ever spoken to a Muslim woman who said "Yeah these things suck and I wish they would ban them!"? No of course you haven't but they MUST want to be freed from wearing them right? There can't possibly be a religious, cultural, environmental, historical or other reason these women would want to actually wear them that could challenge or out weigh our Western beliefs of equality and morality. The bottom line is people are afraid and confused and now they are once again hiding behind patriotism and human rights to further their own belief structure.

Dunno about this man... I'm sure there are a lot of women out there that aren't in love with their burqas. The whole punishment by death thing kinda sucks too

Captain Pants
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:18 am 
Brawler

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:47 am 

South Park season 4 episode 11

[addressing the damned]
Hell Director: Hello, newcomers and welcome. Can everybody hear me? Hello?
[taps microphone]
Hell Director: Can everybody... ok. Um, I am the Hell Director. Uh, it looks like we have 8,615 of you newbies today. And for those of you who were little confused: uh, you are dead; and this is Hell. So abbandon all hope and yadda-yadda-yadda. Uh, we are now going to start the orientation PROcess which will last about...
Protestant: Hey, wait a minute. I shouldn't be here, I was a totally strick and devout Protestant. I thought we went to heaven.
Hell Director: Yes, well, I'm afraid you are wrong.
Soldier: I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.
Hell Director: Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.
Man from Crowd: Well who was right? Who gets in to Heaven?
Hell Director: I'm afraid it was the MORmons. Yes, the MORmons were the correct answer.
The Damned: Awwww...