It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 pm 
MegaDouche

Quote:
Remember, if it's something wrong in today's society it's Obama's fault. I think Bush was our best president.

What if Obama didn't do anything that he's doing nowadays?

Here's how I see Obama's situation. Place G.W.Bush at the top of a really high hill, miles and miles high with a gigantic round boulder, we'll call the boulder "the economy". At the top , Bush starts his presidency after Clinton, he pushes the boulder downhill and walks away for 8 years. At the bottom of this hill sits B.H.Obama, he's just about to start his presidency and notices this giant boulder rushing at very high speeds towards him. Before he can step one foot forward, he has to stop everything he's doing and try to slow down this boulder. We're not assuming he's a superhero here, he's an everyday person like you and I and there's NO way he's going to be able to stop the boulder, the best he can do for now is to brace himself and gradually slow the boulder down. All that people see is this boulder continuing down the hill. They just watch it go down, and complain about how Obama hasn't stopped the boulder. All B.H.Obama can do is continue to slow the boulder down, forget any plans he had for the country's prosperity.

Conservatives are jumping down his throat, blaming him for not doing something that is IMPOSSIBLE to do given what was hurled towards him when he started his presidency. This country isn't going into the shitter because of B.H.Obama.

Go ahead though, blame Obama, because all the problems in todays world are solely because of him. Isn't it obvious?

http://www.briandcurtis.com/2010/08/oba ... right.html

BS1970
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Nader would have been able to handle this, plus more.

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Presidents don't write tax law.
Presidents don't write Federal budgets.
Presidents can't declare war.

Democrats have been in control of those things since 2006.
Including glorious leader who was voting there since 2005.

Repealing Glass Steigel was bad...ding Republicans for that back in 1999, but if you're looking at causes and people to blame for the economy which broke on the back of the housing market you have 2 fall guys.

Barney Frank and Alan Greenspan.

Not some policy making bill signing resident at 1600 Pennsylvania.

I don't blame Obama for not fixing the economy...he can't.
I blame him for making it worse and using borrowed money to do so.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm 

BS1970 wrote:
Nader would have been able to handle this, plus more.

Nader is senile.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:34 pm 
MegaDouche

I think that a lot of the blame that goes towards Obama is because they think he can fix the economy and he hasn't. So the repubs are jumping in and saying "Yeah, LOOK!!! We told you so!". It's the stupid politicians jumping on top of stupider population. Nobody knows what can be done to fix the economy, and although Obama hasn't made anyone feel better, I think that without spending this money would have things 10 times as worse as it is now. Think of it as a band-aid. It can catch most of the blood, but some will still leak out. If the gov't knew how to get out, they'd have already done it. I don't see the people giving stellar ideas.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:37 pm 
Hart Winner

Nader fucking rules.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Blame is placed because that's the trendy thing to do. We live in a time where over the top partisanship is expected, and if you're not, you aren't heard.

It's not cool to say "I think Obama could have done more to stop the recession." You have to say 'OBAMA IS THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER!!!!1111!!1!!1!'.

And Nader is a tard. Some good ideas, but generally a tard.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:49 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Maybe we should stop electing presidents with a middle name that begins with H or W...or both!

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm 

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
I think that a lot of the blame that goes towards Obama is because they think he can fix the economy and he hasn't. So the repubs are jumping in and saying "Yeah, LOOK!!! We told you so!".

I don't agree with that, but if that's true, Obama most certainly deserves all the criticism.
Enjoy your recovery summer, here's a timeline:

A) Obama budget predicts that the unemployment rate for 2009 will be 8.1 percent (actual rate is 9.3 percent), and says it will be 7.9 percent in 2010 (average so far: 9.7 percent). -- Feb. 26, 2009
B) Fed Chairman Bernanke says he sees "green shoots" of U.S. recovery, which, he said, would "pick up steam" next year. -- March 15, 2009
C) Obama says, "We are beginning to see glimmers of hope." -- April 14, 2009
D) CNN reports that "Job Recovery May Be on the Way." -- May 18, 2009
E) Jeffrey Kling of the Brookings Institution says, "It seems clear the U.S. economy has turned a corner." -- June 5, 2009
F) Bernanke says recovery is under way and "prospects for a return to growth in the near term appear good." -- Sept. 16, 2009
G) Obama says, "We are seeing the corner turn on the economy growing again." -- Feb. 7, 2010
H) Obama says, "The worst of the storm is over. ... We are beginning to turn the corner." -- April 3, 2010
I) Obama says, "The economy is getting stronger by the day." -- June 4, 2010
I) Vice President Joe Biden dubs the months ahead "Recovery Summer," and David Axelrod adds that "this summer will be the most active Recovery Act season yet." -- June 17, 2010
I) Obama declares the economic recovery is "well under way." -- June 29, 2010
J) White House press secretary Robert Gibbs says, "The economy is getting stronger." -- July 8, 2010

Based on all the smoke blown up our collective asses, I'd expect some blame to be headed his way.

newsabresfan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 pm 
Rink Rat

Do any of you remember "Reagan-nomics"? In the early 80's there was a big push for 'deregulation'...of banks, utility companies, phone companies. Allowing the 'general population' (that would be the middle class) to borrow money using credit cards, and financing their homes with Federal help if they didn't have the 20% down payment. Lowering the tarriffs on imported goods, so we could buy 'cheaper'. Anyone remember any of this??

What we have now is the end result of Reagan-nomics. Without all the regulations in place, someone figured out a loophole (or six). Credit card debt is through the roof, I won't get into the whole housing mess, and nothing is "Made in the USA" anymore.

Not sure there's a "fix" to this either...because the only people who can 'fix' it are the politians...and the only way to "fix" it to change politics. Think they are going to slit their own throats??

My two cents.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 pm 
MegaDouche

How does my philosophy of the rolling boulder not apply to that picture? Thanks for the visual assistance to my OP. It was tanking , and now it's staying around a similar value.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 pm 

newsabresfan wrote:
Do any of you remember "Reagan-nomics"? In the early 80's there was a big push for 'deregulation'...of banks, utility companies, phone companies. Allowing the 'general population' (that would be the middle class) to borrow money using credit cards, and financing their homes with Federal help if they didn't have the 20% down payment.

You mean the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977.
Carter was president at the time.

Major deregulation of the banks was between 1989 and 1999...after Reagan.

So no, I don't remember those Reaganomics.

Thank god we have Keynesian economics to save us from the trickle down despair of the late 80's and 90's.
/sarcasm

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:14 pm 

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
How does my philosophy of the rolling boulder not apply to that picture? Thanks for the visual assistance to my OP. It was tanking , and now it's staying around a similar value.

My point was the President has very little to do with the economy...Obama, Bush, whoever.
Therefore I don't blame Obama for what it is (besides the votes he took while a Senator), I only blame him for wasting our money trying to "fix it", something he can't do.

His constant cheer leading of a false reality has however brought deserved criticism.
Don't say everything is getting better if it's not. When you say "we're about to turn the corner" for 1.5 years straight, people are going to start to call you on it.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:18 pm 
MegaDouche

I think he has to say "fix it" though, because if he sits here and says "i'm gonna try to slow it down" he gets 10x more ridicule for not trying to fix it..

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm 

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
I think he has to say "fix it" though, because if he sits here and says "i'm gonna try to slow it down" he gets 10x more ridicule for not trying to fix it..

Now you're on to the truth of the situation.
This isn't about his ability to fix it or not. It's about perceptions.
The general public's perception of confidence and competence.

He's failing all measures, real and perceived.
The mighty message machine is broken and reality isn't coming around to save the day.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 pm 
MegaDouche

So you're saying nowadays isn't about what you can do for your country, but how good you can look to the public? I see Obama completely failing at looking good to the public as well, because he's actually trying to do something good for the economy. My argument earlier, was since there's isn't any seen fix, then trying what he has, by putting money into the economy (worked for the previous economic crash), was a good thing to try.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 pm 

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
then trying what he has, by putting money into the economy (worked for the previous economic crash), was a good thing to try.

A few things wrong with that.

1. It was borrowed money...we can't even pay the interest on that crap.
2. about a decade and a half of empirical data from Japan tells us it wouldn't work.
3. He came out and flat out said "we spend this money, unemployment will only go to 7.9% and we'll be saved"

Those first 2 aren't minor points and the 3rd was him being a giant dumbass.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm 
MegaDouche

Who's his financial advisor?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm 

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
Who's his financial advisor?

Geithner and Bernake are the assholes in charge of this failboat.

Although Christina Romer, chair of the White House Council of Economic Advisers quit at the beginning of the month presumably because things are going so well.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm 
Superstar Goalie

We're a country without a product. We aren't smart and we aren't efficient. Until one of those two changes, we're in for a world of hurt.