It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13107746

Quote:
CORDOVA, TN (WMC-TV) - In New York protesters continue to demonstrate against a proposed mosque near the site of the September 11th attacks. This protest comes days after a Nashville Mosque site was vandalized. But here in the Mid-South there's a different sentiment. A Cordova church congregation is welcoming a new Islamic Center.

The words on the sign said it all, "Heartsong Church welcomes Memphis Islamic Center to the neighborhood."

"Once we put up the sign, within three days people from Memphis Islamic Center contacted us and were overwhelmed with emotion that we would be so welcoming."

Steve Stone, pastor of Heartsong Church, said when he heard about plans for the multimillion dollar Memphis Islamic Center Complex being built near his church, he knew he had to react.

"I don't know a lot about Islam and I only know one fellow who is a Muslim," said Pastor Stone. "So I knew it was going to be a learning process for me, but we follow Jesus and he tells us to love our neighbors."

Stone said he hopes that by putting out a welcome mat for Muslims, it will send a strong message to those who may have associated Christians with being anti-Islam.

"People that associate Christians with folks that are afraid of or don't like Muslims, I can't judge those people that are Christian. I believe that to take the name of Christ and do hateful things is a real insult."

To prove his point, Stone told Action News 5 that the Heartsong Church congregation is taking its new relationship with members of the Memphis Islamic Center one step further.

"Their facility is not quite finished and they came and asked us if they might be able to use our facility for Ramadan prayers which we took as a high compliment."

Stone said it's the beginning of a friendship he hopes will inspire others to love their neighbors.

According to Pastor Stone, the congregations of both churches have gotten to know each other on a first name basis. They even call each other brother and sister.

Copyright 2010 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:43 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Quote:
I believe that to take the name of Christ and do hateful things is a real insult."

It is great to see a Christian actually acting like one. It's baffling to see people who's faith is based on love and forgiveness constantly being hateful towards people who think differently than they do. I'm pretty sure Jesus would have wanted us to love ALL of our neighbors, not just the ones who go to our church. Nice to see a church leader calling shenanigans like this and reaching out to fellow faith bases in his community. If only this kind of thought process could spread! :clap:

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:05 am 
Captain Dynasty

Displaced Fan wrote:
Quote:
I believe that to take the name of Christ and do hateful things is a real insult."

It is great to see a Christian actually acting like one. It's baffling to see people who's faith is based on love and forgiveness constantly being hateful towards people who think differently than they do. I'm pretty sure Jesus would have wanted us to love ALL of our neighbors, not just the ones who go to our church. Nice to see a church leader calling shenanigans like this and reaching out to fellow faith bases in his community. If only this kind of thought process could spread! :clap:

I rather liked this one.

Quote:
"I don't know a lot about Islam and I only know one fellow who is a Muslim," said Pastor Stone. "So I knew it was going to be a learning process for me, but we follow Jesus and he tells us to love our neighbors."

Tvan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:58 pm 
7th Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
Quote:

I rather liked this one.

Quote:

All of this...

I hope this gets as much press as those fools in Florida who are burning the Qurans

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

That toolbox pastor canceled his little exercise.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:13 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Seems the old Feds visited Terry Jones annd told him that if he burned the Qurans he would most likely be a target for some old fashioned pay back. makes me wonder if this was in fact what made him change his mind and not that bull about Muslims helping him get the "ground Zero Mosque" moved. Seems far more likely that this dumb fuck realized what his actions could bring down on his head and his spine gave out on him.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... evenge-hit

On another note, there seem to be a lot of other bigogts out there that have been "inspired" :puke-front: by Jones and will be carrying out their own Quran BBQ's this weekend. I hope they get what is coming to them but the unfortunate part is that would play right into their hands. If Muslims that are offended do anything in response violently it will be taken as evidence that these intolerant pieces of shit were "right". Fucking helll.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... ors_a.html

Tvan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:25 am 
7th Defenseman

So I'm guessing the only terrible thing that happened in Gainesville was USF losing to the damn gators.

Good.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:34 am 
Captain Dynasty

as a christian, i hate saying it, but those muslims should just turn the tables and burn bibles.

i just wish everyone could get along and different religions could work towards making the world a better place.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 am 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
as a christian, i hate saying it, but those muslims should just turn the tables and burn bibles.

i just wish everyone could get along and different religions could work towards making the world a better place.

The smartest thing they could do is to do nothing at all. Maybe make a statement about it being unfortunate and misguided but fighting fire with fire (no pun intended) would be playing into the stereotypes of violence that some right wing christians hold against Muslims. I think that this kind of action by christians is like bait. They are hoping some Muslim takes revenge on them or does something that they can point to and go "Aha! SEE! Told you they were all violent christian haters!!!"

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:40 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

When I was diving last weekend, my dive partner kept making cracks on Saturday because he didn't have a Quran to burn. I wanted to tell him off, but considering I had to dive with him 6 times, I kept my mouth shut.

On the flip side, on the drive up there, I heard a heartening story on the radio. Half of the cabbies in Toronto took Friday off as part of Ramadan. Waits for cabs were upwards of 3 hours in the GTA because of this.

Yet nobody was complaining.