It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:12 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

You don't find it illogical to assume that every Muslim you see is out to kill you?

I do.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:39 pm 
Star Sniper

Your exaggerating, and we already covered that point. Did you not read my earlier response? I'll make the point again though...

I'm not talking about every Muslim people might see anywhere around town. I'm talking about what Juan Williams was talking about - having a worried feeling when boarding a plane and seeing prominently dressed Muslims. I'm sure I must say this yet again for you also...I don't feel that way. However, even though that feeling is illogical to me, I am willing to cut someone a little slack (A LITTLE BIT, remember?), since the ultimate fear involved in that stereotype is a sudden and violent death. Other stereotypes involve ego issues or elitist attitudes most of the time, but this one involves the fear of death. This issue is too new for US citizens, both terrorism and an increasing Muslim immigrant population, for many people to get a firm, rational grasp on it. If they speak about their feelings in a respectable tone, without maliciously attacking others, I'm fine with it. Eventually they will learn that those fears are unfounded either by rational responses or positive interaction.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

You can drop the 'let me repeat that for you' schtick. You're coming off really damn arrogant.

I understand full well what you're saying, and I'm not exaggerating. You're saying that it's perfectly acceptable for people to be scared that any time they see a Muslim on a plane and be scared for their life. You don't feel that way, but you 'can understand' why people would.

That's downright offensive.

If I were to say that I was scared of being shot and killed every time I saw a black man walk into a convenience store at night, I'd be reviled as racist. If I said I was scared of a bomb every time I saw someone wearing a crucifix walk into a Ryder rental location, I'd be reviled as trashing Christianity.

Somehow because people are Muslim the situation is supposed to be different?

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:59 am 
Star Sniper

Yes, you are exaggerating...or you just don't/refuse to understand what I'm saying. I am NOT saying that it is "perfectly acceptable for people to be scared that any time they see a Muslim on a plane and be scared for their life." That is not...NOT perfectly acceptable. I already said numerous times that it is an illogical feeling based on unfounded fears. Understanding that feeling and cutting someone A LITTLE BIT of slack DOES NOT mean that I think it's "perfectly acceptable". For you to continue your exaggerated characterization of my posts justifies me to repeat what I've already typed as often as necessary.

Your counter example of a Christian Ryder truck bomb is silly, because there's been no pattern of that. As for your convenience store example, you're probably right, but I've had plenty of people tell me how scared they are of young black men hanging in and around the stores of their neighborhood. Guess what...all those people were black too. I'm not about to say that "all" anybody does "all" of anything (I don't think that way and I never have), but there is room for conversation about issues. If I were to shut down dialogue with the people that express fears in their community with accusations of being racist, I wouldn't get anywhere and those problems would persist. Talking is better than not talking, even if some people say ignorant things. If they're respectful about it we can probably move forward. If they're malicious about it they're beyond help and probably won't ever change.

To further counter (sorry, repeating again), wouldn't most people cut some slack for a black person if they worried about walking around a small, mostly white southern town? A woman that worried about starting a new job in a male dominated profession? Is that person racist or sexist?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:16 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Squanto wrote:
You can drop the 'let me repeat that for you' schtick. You're coming off really damn arrogant.

I understand full well what you're saying, and I'm not exaggerating. You're saying that it's perfectly acceptable for people to be scared that any time they see a Muslim on a plane and be scared for their life. You don't feel that way, but you 'can understand' why people would.

That's downright offensive.

If I were to say that I was scared of being shot and killed every time I saw a black man walk into a convenience store at night, I'd be reviled as racist. If I said I was scared of a bomb every time I saw someone wearing a crucifix walk into a Ryder rental location, I'd be reviled as trashing Christianity.

Somehow because people are Muslim the situation is supposed to be different?

The other day in downtown LA I rode in an elevator with 2 very large Hispanic gang bangers...teardrop tattoos, wearing their colors...everything.

I was a bit nervous about the situation.

Obviously, I'm bigoted towards Hispanics.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Not really the same.

Thinking that a person wearing gang stuff is going to cause a problem is reasonable.

Thinking that a person wearing a particular religious symbol is going to cause a problem is not.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:51 am 

Given 9/11, the underwear bomber and the shoe bomber, why is being uncomfortable around Muslims on an airplane unreasonable?

Juan was speaking to a primal fear, not a rational assessment of the situation.
Those 2 processes can reach different conclusions.
He made that clear.

He was stressing the need for rationality.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
However, even though that feeling is illogical to me, I am willing to cut someone a little slack (A LITTLE BIT, remember?), since the ultimate fear involved in that stereotype is a sudden and violent death.

People get nervous on planes around Muslims because they associate them with extremist, Islamic FUNDEMENTALISTS. Sooo.....nearly a quarter of the world's population are being bastardized because of a comparable handful of violent nut balls. Islamaphobia isn't just "illogical", it's fucking wrong, hateful, ignorant and dangerous. Cutting someone slack for this feeling is also illogical and perpetuates this illogical stereotype. But then again, people love them some good old fashion hatin'.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:23 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
nearly a quarter of the world's population are being bastardized because of a comparable handful of violent nut balls.

Same thing can be said about Christians.
I don't see many people holding back on that bigotry.

whatever.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:43 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
nearly a quarter of the world's population are being bastardized because of a comparable handful of violent nut balls.

Same thing can be said about Christians.
I don't see many people holding back on that bigotry.

whatever.

Yeah, christians are a really opressed group. :roll: :lol:

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:51 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
Yeah, christians are a really opressed group. :roll: :lol:

This isn't about oppression, it's about unfair stereotypes based on religion.

Catholic priests are homosexual pedophiles.
Mormons have multiple wives.
Southern Baptists are like Fred Phelps.
Born again Christians shoot abortion doctors.

All of these are stereotypes that flow through popular culture and no one bats an eye.
All of those stereotypes are set by the most extreme elements of their religion.

But lets keep it going because Christians aren't "oppressed".

Furthermore, how does being uneasy with a Muslim on an airplane "oppress" them?

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:59 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Christians think that any time someone someone dissagrees or takes offense to something they are doing that it's "Christian Hate". When a Christian group puts up false, misleading ads about our founding fathers being devout christians, of course people who know the truth speak out. Christian Haters!!!! When the Pope defends and protects his priests instead of their raped victims, people speak out. Christian Haters!!!! When courts rule in favor of upholding the seperation of church and state, Christians cry foul and scream "Christian Hate!!!!". Hell. now adays when people speak out against hating Muslims......it's Christian Hate!!! WTF? Unless you are agreeing with them or staying out of their way it's....DUM DUM DUM.....Christian Hate!!! :roll:

What I see time and time again here on this site and even in this thread is people specifically saying "Hating all Muslims because of the few terrorists is just as stupid as hating all Christians for bombing abortion clinics". Besides that, the deep Islamaphobia in this country is head and shoulders beyond some people having a bad taste in their mouths when christianity is concerned.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:02 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Besides, the point of this thread is that the guy said some stuff that NPR thought would end up being a shitty PR nightmare for them and they took action. The guy is a big boy and a professional. He should have been more careful in choosing his words and what opinions he was going to give public voice to. I think NPR acted too quick on it but then again they can fire who they wannt if they don't think that person best represents what they are selling.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I think it's a little bit different to become uncomfortable around a black or hispanic individual dressing in a way that shows ties to an organization with a history of violence (a gang) especially in an area with a high crime rate than it is to become uncomfortable about a Middle Eastern person dressing in a way that shows ties to Islam.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:52 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
Besides that, the deep Islamaphobia in this country is head and shoulders beyond some people having a bad taste in their mouths when christianity is concerned.

So the two things must not be compared.

Got it.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:55 pm 
Star Sniper

Displaced Fan wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
However, even though that feeling is illogical to me, I am willing to cut someone a little slack (A LITTLE BIT, remember?), since the ultimate fear involved in that stereotype is a sudden and violent death.

People get nervous on planes around Muslims because they associate them with extremist, Islamic FUNDEMENTALISTS. Sooo.....nearly a quarter of the world's population are being bastardized because of a comparable handful of violent nut balls. Islamaphobia isn't just "illogical", it's fucking wrong, hateful, ignorant and dangerous. Cutting someone slack for this feeling is also illogical and perpetuates this illogical stereotype. But then again, people love them some good old fashion hatin'.

Islamaphobia, or any other ignorant stereotype, is not necessarily hateful and dangerous. Hateful and dangerous is when people act out on that stereotype with inflamed malicious rhetoric or actions that will harm the feelings or physical safety of Muslims. I suppose it seems like splitting hairs to you, but knowing you have an illogical fear and speaking respectfully about it is different than having that fear, thinking it's actually justified, and teaching your kids that same thing or speaking/acting maliciously in order to harm the target group. That is a big difference to me. One is being flawed and understanding it, one is being flawed and believing in it and acting it out. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assess those two mindsets differently.