It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm 
Star Sniper

Yeah sorry for the long read. I agree that that this guy in the clip is of no use. I won't go on about it but to me, invoking god into the issue is an end to any serious discussion. Problem is, we can't do anything about the blatent disregard that other countries have for the environment. The US can only do so much for our air quality, and that effort is neutralized globally by the lack of effort in Russia and China alone.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 am 
Superstar Goalie

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Yeah sorry for the long read. I agree that that this guy in the clip is of no use. I won't go on about it but to me, invoking god into the issue is an end to any serious discussion. Problem is, we can't do anything about the blatent disregard that other countries have for the environment. The US can only do so much for our air quality, and that effort is neutralized globally by the lack of effort in Russia and China alone.

I agree, but then again it is kind of like saying "Well my neighbor doesn't mow his lawn so I why should I?"

Aside from air pollution though, we have big problems in other environmental arenas. I mean just look to the Gulf. The pollution issue is more than the debate over climate change and with leaders that seem to have a combination of corruption, ideology, apathy and ignorance, I just don't see anything changing.

For example, I was listening to NPR and people at Berkley are concerned that if politicians don't feel a sense of urgency or importance when it comes to chemical development that research that leads to safer chemicals for us and the environment won't get funding. Even classes in "green" chemistry (making chemicals with less waste as well as making chemicals that are safer for consumers) are lacking funding because (in part) they lack political interest. Just a shitty situation all in all.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:21 am 
Star Sniper

Russia and China and other countries won't pass or enforce stricter environmental standards so that they are more corporate and industry friendly. It's just like labor laws - if they are lax businesses and factories will locate there and produce for the economy. If the US, no matter how just, wise, and eco-friendly it is, pass and enforce tougher environmental laws they will not attract industry and watch the economy fall even further behind. We aren't collectively smart enough to compete in the research, science, and technology market so without industry we'll be in a real bad spot. I don't want to sit around and not try to be more eco-friendly, but to what extent based on reliable research, and to what cost when others' lack of effort nullifies ours?