It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I am new at the whole presidential election thing, just coming up on my 16th birthday this Thursday, but I have to ask, when was the last time America was this wound up over a new president? Or does this kind of thing happen more then I know? :shifty:

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:13 am 
Star Sniper

He's not just the president, he's our Messiah and Big Brother. Dear Leader Obama was chosen, and is now the anointed one who will make our world one great society by helping us to sacrifice our selfish individualism for the common, collective good of humanity.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

My official-licensed, third jersey logo-emblazoned, Sabres garden gnome will fix this.

Sneaky E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:18 am 
Garbage Man

Liking Obama is about as popular as hating Bush was. We're a country of bandwagoners and extremists.

nnyfan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 am 
Textbook Grinder

Please...don't get me started...

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:13 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

To answer that question...No.

I blame the proliferation of cable news and the 24 hour news cycle.
CNN, MSNBC and Fox news are in a death spiral of hatred and dragging otherwise civil people down with it.

The internet hasn't helped either. Now every idiot (like me) has an equally loud bullhorn. Go marinate at Kos or freerepublic for a while. Scary stuff.

dontbethatguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:23 pm 
Brawler

Haha right now it's a free for all for liking or hating the man. He can do no wrong except he's always wrong. That seems to sum up the sentiment nation wide. People forget that Obama's popular vote wasn't as overwhelming as his electoral.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:41 pm 
Crosscheck wrote:
To answer that question...No.

I blame the proliferation of cable news and the 24 hour news cycle.
CNN, MSNBC and Fox news are in a death spiral of hatred and dragging otherwise civil people down with it.

Isn't that the truth. 24 hour news cycles seem to fill their time with sensational reporting instead of facts whether those exaggerations are good or bad it really doesn't matter to them. The news networks have realized that they can pander to people's beliefs and just report anything that strengthens those beliefs to get ratings whether it's true or not. A nasty combination of racism, misplaced patriotism, blind faith, religious intolerance and anger at the current state of the economy have been harnessed by both sides to gain ratings and further political agendas. Finger pointing has become a sick security blanket and it's disgusting to be honest.

This is not how it always is my young friend and it is sad that people your age are growing up with this being the norm. The election of Obama (in my opinion) showed that we have come a long way as a people. That being said, the nasty hate mongering from the right and the blind faith from the left have shown that on the flip side we still have a long way to go as a people. I hope your generation comes through this with an understanding that tactics like this (the hate, the division etc) hurt everyone in the long run.

Wow...listen to me sounding like an adult and shit.. :lol:

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:16 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

I don't know. While the 24 hour news coverage and internet may have exacerbated things some, I think American politics has always been divisive. We've had Alexander Hamilton killed in a duel with Aaron Burr, fights breaking out in Congress, slanderous political cartoons. Plus, you know, this country ripped itself in half over slavery. So yes, shocking as it may be, politics is always a dirty, nasty business. And I believe it always has been. People just always think it's worse today.

Ham

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 pm 

Markus
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 pm 
Power Forward

Seriously though, every idiot with a computer thinks he knows politics.

I am very into politics, and am going to school for political science, but I stay out of political debates on the internet.

I have my own opinions, and by no means are they simply one way.

Obama is a big thing because everybody with facebook thinks they did their part.

I voted for Obama. How do I feel about him? I'll tell you in 3 years.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I don't think America has always been this polar. Washington did warn against political parties.

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:19 am 
Garbage Man

America does get passionate about its presidents.

Harry Truman, campaigning for John F. Kennedy, in 1960, told voters, "If you vote for Nixon, you ought to go to hell." Thomas Jefferson once said of his 'friend' John Adams that he was "a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensiblity of a woman." Martin Van Buren was accused of wearing women’s corsets (by Davy Crockett). Teddy Roosevelt called William Howard Taft, the sitting President and Roosevelt’s former vice president, “a rat in a corner.” Newspaper columns, leaflets, and handbills called Andrew Jackson's mother a prostitute who birthed Jackson by a mulatto father.

Mudslinging and cheap shots are as American as apple pie, slavery, and killing Indians. The difference, as Cross pointed out, is that now every addle-brained wacko with internet connection can hook up with the other lone-wolf wackos to share their 'ideas.'

ItsMe
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:37 pm 
Penalty Killer

Ive watched some House of Commons debates...fuck, those people are passionate and very vocal. They think nothing of calling a colleague an ass or an idiot, including the Prime Minister!

As for this country, mud slinging seems to be the norm. But in todays instantaneous information age and the age of news media ratings for commercial time, ideas and facts become skewed and merged. Add to it the "propagandism" of the government and we have a virtual mess in which the only recourse is to get drunk of course.

Montalo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:30 pm 
PP Quarterback

dont forget about General Jackson's election in 1828

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:11 am 
Garbage Man

Montalo wrote:
dont forget about General Jackson's election in 1828

Or the election he won four years earlier, but had taken from him by the House of Representatives.

In '28 Jackson's opponents referred to him as Andrew Jackass. He liked it and used the donkey as a mascot. Fifty years later a political cartoonist revived the symbol and it has been used as an unofficial mascot of the Democratic Party ever since. The same cartoonist, Thomas Nast, also created the elephant as the mascot for the Republicans (as well as the modern version of Santa Claus).