All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Would you support hydrofracking in NY?
YES 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
NO 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7
slesh
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 am 
Franchise Defenseman

In a 9-0 vote, the Buffalo Common Council voted to ban Hydrofracking in the city........
Odd, considering there is no Marcelus Shale under the city.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communi ... 309816.ece

I know there is a great deal of controversy on this method of mining. I also know there is isolated reports of environmental damage, specifically the water wells in PA.
But people do need to stop and pause on this subject for a moment. Energy is the key, and cheap energy (which Natural Gas is) is absolutely essential for economic development and growth.

Is Natural Gas the answer?
Short term, Yes.
Long term, No.

This nation needs a bridge between fossils and alternatives, Natural Gas is a huge portion of that bridge.
It is still a fossil fuel to be sure, but, its one of the cleanest fossil fuels we have.

This area has 3 resources with which to transition from fossils over to alternatives/renewables.
1. Hydro (we already heavily generate energy with water in this region)
Unfortunately, much of the energy created heads downstate.
2. Wind (off shore is the best due to the effeciency ratings along the Lake shores)
Who in the hell would want to limit fishing, boating and the view along the Great Lakes?
3. Waste to Energy (Niagara County is the #1 importer of trash on the East Coast)
Ontario as well as much of the NorthEast send their trash to CWM, the landfill outside of Lewiston on the lower escarpement. This by far has the most significant impact on economics in the region and could actually catapult the Western New York region into the envious position of number 1 alternative/renewable energy production globally.
It takes political will and vision to achieve this, to date, we have 1 (the vision) but not the other (political will).

I don't particularly like Hydrofracking myself, as an energy guy I always believe there may be "options", but it would be a boone for WNY if they allowed the mining.

Why post this and what's the reasoning?
Mr. Pegula was heavily involved in this industry in PA. He was very successful.
You want development capital here in WNY? Then this is one of those key resources that would bring it in.
So, the poll is up, before you vote, please do the research on the "facts" of this then take the poll.

Remember folks, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, there must be a balance between what is needed and what isn't.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:55 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I'm in favor of hydrofracking...if the formula is disclosed so that it may be modified to use effective yet safer chemical compositions. That's the only way I'm in favor of it. So because my vote isn't so cut and dry, I won't vote.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

This would only be a short term boost to the WNY economy, and would end up potentially leaving the area in much worse shape after that initial boost. Environmental damage can't be so quickly and easily reversed. Also, compromising the integrity of the water table could have direct (cleanup) and indirect (increased disease rates in an area already high in cancer) costs that could easily dwarf those short term economic benefits a hydrofracking operation would bring.

Bad method for acquiring energy, bad strategy for long term economic development. Kudos to the Buffalo City Council for their vote.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

There will never be any hydrofracking in the city limits of Buffalo. I have no idea why the Common Council wasted their time with this resolution.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Well that's stupid....is that how they spend their time on the council?

This reminds me of the sign at Berkeley, Ca. city limits declaring the city a "Nuclear free zone". Well no shit.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm 
PP Quarterback

mechaphil wrote:
I'm in favor of hydrofracking...if the formula is disclosed so that it may be modified to use effective yet safer chemical compositions. That's the only way I'm in favor of it. So because my vote isn't so cut and dry, I won't vote.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... fends.html

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=563161

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/all_ne ... astewater/

PA was dumping their wastewater into beautiful streams...ridiculous.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... fends.html

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=563161

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/all_ne ... astewater/

PA was dumping their wastewater into beautiful streams...ridiculous.

Check out those articles for a look into your future if fracking comes to NY. Top environmental official is "confident" drinking water hasn't been compromised. Yeah, I wonder how much $ the state executive branch has received from the natural gas industry? I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with that statement.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I wish there was a better name, the word "hydrofracking" just makes me laugh.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I wish there was a better name, the word "hydrofracking" just makes me laugh.

In Caprica, it would probably mean having sex underwater.