PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:19 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... of-the-sex
Quote:
It's about the having of the sex
By Will Femia
-
Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 PM EDT

A larger theme in the Republican war on abortion rights didn't occur to me until I read it in a comment by GrrrlRomeo on Wednesday's links post. Since then I've seen it echoed a few more times, including on the show last night in the interview with N.O.W. president Terry O'Neill.

The idea, in short, is that if your goal is to restore old-fashioned gender roles and family structure to the American way of life, taking away a woman's ability to have sex without getting pregnant is a fast way to reach that goal.

From GrrrlRomeo's comment:

Yes, there is a faction of anti-abortion activists that only want to save the fetuses at any and all costs. But the broader mainstream conservative strategy is the same as it ever was. They don't think the government should fund services for people they deem to be leading an immoral lifestyle (people who have sex).

While there have been a lot of mentions of Pap tests, no one is really saying what it's for. It's a cancer screening for a cancer that's caused by HPV, a sexually transmitted infection that affects 50% of men and women at some point in their lives.

Here's Gail Collins in yesterday's New York Times:

For eons now, people have been wondering why the two sides can’t just join hands and agree to work together to reduce the number of abortions by expanding the availability of family-planning services and contraception.

The answer is that a large part of the anti-abortion community is also anti-contraception.
Beyond the science, there’s the fact that many social conservatives are simply opposed to giving women the ability to have sex without the possibility of procreation.
What we have here is a wide-ranging attack on women’s right to control their reproductive lives...

And N.O.W.'s Terry O'Neill last night:

And here`s the thing -- this hostility to women`s abortion rights doesn`t stop with abortion. What we`re seeing across the board really is hostility to women`s reproductive health care rights. We just had a fight in which the extremists in the House of Representatives and in Congress tried to cut off funding, all funding, for family planning clinics that serve more than 5 million women and men every year, right? These are family planning clinics that don`t provide abortions, that provide contraception, pap tests, mammograms, STD testing and treatment, HIV/AIDS testing.

What`s happening is that as abortion -- as anti-abortion laws gain more and more traction, we`re also seeing attacks on all of the other aspects of women`s reproductive health. And frankly, defunding the family planning clinics is a public health nightmare in the making. But we`re seeing these attacks across the reproductive health rights.

I also went back and re-watched Wednesday night's interview with Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and I believe she was also alluding to this larger theme:

But I think what is important, too, Rachel, that folks understand that literally what the House of Representatives and what Speaker Boehner are trying to do is not end abortion services. They are trying to eliminate birth control and cancer screenings for women.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

The politicization of morality is exactly why the Federal government shouldn't be in the business of funding Planned Parenthood.
The same thing goes for the marriage debate.

Argument FAIL.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:15 pm 
Star Sniper

The population in the world is OUT OF CONTROL, and it ain't the smart hard working people over populating, in fact they are more likely the ones getting the abortions lol

fuck this world go sabres

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:33 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck wrote:
The politicization of morality is exactly why the Federal government shouldn't be in the business of funding Planned Parenthood.
The same thing goes for the marriage debate.

Argument FAIL.

The only service that Planed Parenthood provides that is at all morally debatable is abortion, and they're legally barred from using public money to provide those services anyway.

If you're going to pull funding from PP, then you also need to yank all federal funding for hospitals that provide the same services as PP, which is all of them.

Of course, that won't happen, because that's not the political football of the day.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I'm doing my part by not having any sex right now...no need for me to fund any abortion clinics or even purchase contraception...thats how I roll...

Squanto 7/27/2010

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:52 pm 
MegaDouche

I hereby officially rename politics to "controlitics", what a fucking nightmare.

Montalo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

im getting sick of this being a political issue at all

the pro life and pro abortion will never agree on it or even compromise, so lets move on from it to issues that we can solve

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:54 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Well the OP was whining about PP being a political football. Well that's not going to change as long as they get Federal funding.

End the funding and those mean fundie right wingers have no say over what they do. End of story. This answer is made even more blindingly obvious by the fact that PP doesn't NEED Federal funding to provide the services they do.

They're profitable.

The left loves the issue just as much as the right so either side bemoaning the fact that the controversy exists is laughable.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

My interest in the article was mainly with the ironic tendency for poor sex education i.e. abstinence only sex education to result in higher rates of teen pregnancy and thus higher abortion rates. Ironic that by fighting one thing (comprehensive sex ed) people indirectly cause another thing they fight (abortions).

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:50 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I dont find that shocking at all. It's like telling a teen not to drink, smoke or anything else. The more you make it taboo, the more kids are gonna do it. Hell we all did it, well the majority of us anyway. It simply starts by not making things such a big deal, remind them of the consequences, and give them the opportunity to make their own choices.

Squanto 7/27/2010