It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:47 am 
Star Sniper

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/0 ... nd-school/

Ok, maybe not a step toward our doom, but wow...teaching kids that they can feel, act, and BE the opposite sex of which they were born??? Just because some organisms had to adapt in nature in order to survive, doesn't mean any of that applies to humans. This type of class is more likely to cause mental/social/gender stresses or crisis in kids than any bullying or other such problem these people are supposedly trying to avoid. It's times like these that make me wish I could quit the human race and be a raptor instead, or a firetruck.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 am 
Mrs. Miller

You're being pretty dramatic over something you obviously don't understand at all.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 am 
Superstar Goalie

fly as hale wrote:
You're being pretty dramatic over something you obviously don't understand at all.

:clap:

How in the hell is teaching gender diversity to children a bad thing? If you're a homophobic person then, sorry bud. It's assholes like you that make being a stay at home dad while my wife goes to work hard. It's a lack of diversity education that makes it tough for females in the military (like my wife). Funny how guys in my wife's office, who's own wives stay at home with their children ask her why I'm a bum and don't get a job like a "real" man. Apparently being an okay stay at home mom is one step below Mother Teresa but being a kick ass stay at home dad is one step above a street urchin. A lack of diversity education is why the jocks called me a fag when they saw me drawing or reading poetry. People don't have to fit into freaky 1950's gender boxes or wear little Church ordered Adam and Eve name tags. The Greeks knew this for fucks sake so why is it we're acting like "atypical" gender roles are new?

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:26 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
This type of class is more likely to cause mental/social/gender stresses or crisis in kids than any bullying or other such problem these people are supposedly trying to avoid.

Are you an expert?

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 am 
Superstar Goalie

Good thing this kid here didn't get any of that Commie "diversity" education at school. :whistle:

Or these ones:

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 am 
Sober enough to run a server

I think it's great and necessary that kids are taught diversity...by their parents.

No school program will ever mitigate shitty parenting and shitty parents will always exist.

Instilling morality, one way or the other, is NOT the job of our government.

Meh, there are much more controversial things going on in the governments of the Bay area, like mulling a city-wide ban of circumcision.
Fucking idiots up there.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 am 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
like mulling a city-wide ban of circumcision.
Fucking idiots up there.

Wait.....what? :lol:

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 pm 
Star Sniper

Fly, why do you assume I don't understand this subject matter?

DP, you just went off a deep end assuming that I hate gay people, or am racist based on your pics, while that isn't true and actually has NOTHING to do with my stance on the topic.

Squanto, I'm not an expert, and that isn't a requirement to post anything here anyway. FWIW though, my wife IS an expert, and she thinks the program should be sent out to sea on the huge fail boat.

Teaching kids to accept other people and all their differences is one thing that I happen to be in favor of. Teaching kids that they can actually be a girl, when in fact they are a boy, or vice-versa is a rather strange and extreme twist on accepting diversity. Do any of you with kids actually want to teach them that they can be the opposite sex??? Teach them that they don't have to be boxed in by gender roles, but teach them that they can actually be the opposite sex if they feel like it??? Sorry, but nature decides certain things for us and we have to make the best of it.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
like mulling a city-wide ban of circumcision.
Fucking idiots up there.

Wait.....what? :lol:

It's on their ballot in November
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/for ... _blog.html

and people are trying to pass something similar in Santa Monica.
The ignorance is stunning especially for San Francisco since it's been scientifically proven that circumcision prevents the spread of AIDS and other STD's.

So like I said...fucking idiots up there who generally think government can regulate us into utopia.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:17 pm 
Captain Dynasty

circumcision is for the birds, man.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:25 pm 

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Compelling argument.
Here's mine

Quote:
Male circumcision, if widely adopted in Africa, would prevent 3 million deaths over 20 years and would work as well as a moderately effective AIDS vaccine.

-World Health Organization
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/ ... 4135.shtml

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:25 pm 
Star Sniper

Sorry DP, but I have to respond further. Your first post was very offensive to me.

Did you read the story, watch the video, and look up the school program to learn further before responding? My stance has ZERO to do with gender roles. It has everything to do with the extreme extent that this program takes in teaching diversity. I have never had a problem with any man that read poetry or whatever the hell else doesn't fit into a stereotypical "man's" role. Great for you that you can stay at home with the kids...I couldn't care less how that fit's into any gender role as long as it works for you.

This program takes the stance that we can/should ignore nature and biology in order to accept and understand others. That's not just ridiculous, since the basics of common courtesy, fairness, and understanding should cover it, but it's also dangerous. It has the potential to seriously mess with young children's social identities and physical/biological development. Kids have it bad enough with confusion over their bodies and how other's treat them, this program only adds to it.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Compelling argument.
Here's mine

Quote:
Male circumcision, if widely adopted in Africa, would prevent 3 million deaths over 20 years and would work as well as a moderately effective AIDS vaccine.

-World Health Organization
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/ ... 4135.shtml

id show you mine, but id get banned. check your PM box soon.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:36 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Ok, maybe not a step toward our doom, but wow...teaching kids that they can feel, act, and BE the opposite sex of which they were born???

You yourself said this, implying that it isn't okay to "feel, act or be" anything but traditional male and female roles. That, to me, is hard to read any other way than you don't accept people who identify with non-traditional lifestyles. Sorry if I mistook your statement.

That being said, a lot of what this program is about is teaching kids that boys can like pink if they want, girls can play with dump trucks, boys can play with Barbie dolls...basically, you don't have to be be a chest beating "man's man" or a skirt wearing beautician. It's about acceptance instead of hatred.....which is a good thing. Accepting the FACT that it is common for people to feel they were born the wrong gender, relate more with the opposite sex, are physically attracted to the same sex or feel in the middle, is clearly better than say throwing stones at them and chasing them down Main Street with pitch forks. It is not about magically turning straight kids into homosexuals but rather teaching kids that bigotry and hate are bad things. Personally I applaud them for their work. On the other hand, inviting Fox News in to cover the story was a direct attempt to fan the flames which is fucking retarded. Yeah for their message, boo for their tactics with the media.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
Accepting the FACT that it is common for people to feel they were born the wrong gender, relate more with the opposite sex, are physically attracted to the same sex or feel in the middle

Um...what's your definition of common?
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but people who identify as being born the wrong gender are pretty damn far from common.
Sure, the population is higher in the bay area, but even there we're talking fractions of a percent. I'm not sure why they need a light shined on them more, than say, a handicapped person.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Sorry DP, but I have to respond further. Your first post was very offensive to me.

Did you read the story, watch the video, and look up the school program to learn further before responding? My stance has ZERO to do with gender roles. It has everything to do with the extreme extent that this program takes in teaching diversity. I have never had a problem with any man that read poetry or whatever the hell else doesn't fit into a stereotypical "man's" role. Great for you that you can stay at home with the kids...I couldn't care less how that fit's into any gender role as long as it works for you.

This program takes the stance that we can/should ignore nature and biology in order to accept and understand others. That's not just ridiculous, since the basics of common courtesy, fairness, and understanding should cover it, but it's also dangerous. It has the potential to seriously mess with young children's social identities and physical/biological development. Kids have it bad enough with confusion over their bodies and how other's treat them, this program only adds to it.

Did you read anything other than what Fox said about this? I did. Also, no one is saying we should ignore biology etc etc. Homosexuality and the like is something people are born with, not a conscience choice to ignore biology and nature. What this organization is trying to do is say "Hey kids, if you happen to like boys instead of girls you're not evil. It's the way you were made. Also, if your classmate does and you don't, you don't have to hate them."

I think that teaching acceptance to children at a young age instead of continuing the rigid stances of religion and traditional societal norms is a good thing. Now as to it's appropriateness in a public school and with such young kids is more than relevant to discuss.

Personally I teach my kids that there is a difference between gay people and pedophiles, that they can do what ever they want regardless of what society says, my son can dance, my daughter can play hockey and that no matter what they choose I'll love them the same. I just think that many are making a big deal out of this because of their own fears and beliefs (not you necessarily).

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:01 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
Accepting the FACT that it is common for people to feel they were born the wrong gender, relate more with the opposite sex, are physically attracted to the same sex or feel in the middle

Um...what's your definition of common?
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but people who identify as being born the wrong gender are pretty damn far from common.
Sure, the population is higher in the bay area, but even there we're talking fractions of a percent. I'm not sure why they need a light shined on them more, than say, a handicapped person.

It may be more rare for say someone to get a sex change than it is to like Broadway plays but my point overall is that gay people are pretty common place. They are literally everywhere. That being said, many gay people relate more with the opposite sex which is why we have terms like "Bull Dyke" and "Flamingly gay". They don't conform to the norms and happen to be all over the place. I'd say that makes it common and it's far more than a fraction of a percent. 2008 polls showed 4% of Americans claiming lesbian, gay or bisexual status (just a wiki grab but still). That shoots up to 15.4% in the Bay area (2005 American Community Survey). They are the minority but it wouldn't be a once in a lifetime event (for most of us) to see two dudes kissing at the movies or a chick sporting a crew cut and football jersey.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
Star Sniper

"...feel, act, and BE..." Emphasis on "BE". Nature decides what you are physically and we can't change it.

"Did you read anything other than what Fox said about this?"

W...T...F...???? Look at you with all your ridiculous assumptions! I haven't paid any attention to anything FOX News has said about this. The article I read stated that the school board did not seek out national attention at all, but USA Today and Fox picked up on it anyway. Get your facts straight since you choose to make a comment on it, and then hurl a loaded comment like that at me.

In my experience investigating sexual assaults, the many discussions I've had with sexual assault investigators, and the lengthy time I've spent working with middle and high-school kids, I can say that a great deal of sexual related crime and stress comes from confusion. Confusion caused by being a sexual assault victim and from uncertainty about one's own sexual identity. My wife's extensive education and career in domestic violence, juvenile counseling, and substance abuse tells her this program is a failure.

We as adults can cut through to the basic meaning of this program, but K-4 level kids won't always be able to and it can cause further confusion, especially if they are already experiencing problems from home or friends. If we want to teach acceptance of diversity, there is a much better and basic way to teach these values than to go the extent that this program does. It's more dangerous than helpful.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Squanto, I'm not an expert, and that isn't a requirement to post anything here anyway. FWIW though, my wife IS an expert, and she thinks the program should be sent out to sea on the huge fail boat.

No, it's not a requirement.

I just think that the subject matter is more complex than just a one off sentence that says how bad it blows.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:15 pm 
Star Sniper

Well, I never intended on having to post a thesis either.