It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
useful fictions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 am 
Brawler

...but where is the occupy wall st. thread?

i would've thought some people would be talking up quite a storm on this one.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:26 am 
Franchise Defenseman

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can post attachments in this forum

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am 
More Heart Than Skill

Ham

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:55 am 
Sober enough to run a server

It's the damn corporate media suppressing the story man.

Wake up people!

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:

Wake up people!

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but it's true.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:31 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i love the typical response of people backing the 1%.. "if you want to have money like a CEO, just become a CEO!"

the grey area they fail to acknowledge is larger then the pacific ocean.

Montalo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 pm 
PP Quarterback

we had a nice occupy UB on campus the other day

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:35 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

Wake up people!

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but it's true.

It was sarcasm (because he was complaining about it not being a thread on a hockey forum) but...I'll play along anyway.

I've seen extensive coverage of the protests on CNN, BBC, Al Jezira, and MSNBC...NPR won't shut up about it and they even cover it on Fox...so in what way is the story being repressed by corporate media?

How much air time do whining hippies deserve when they have no clear demands, no leadership and no real political or social point?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm 

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i love the typical response of people backing the 1%.. "if you want to have money like a CEO, just become a CEO!"

...and their answer to that is if you're the 99% you should sit around and complain until someone gives you money?
Got it.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I consider myself pretty damned liberal, and this protest is doing nothing more than pissing me off.

It's supposed to be the counterbalance to the tea party? Well that goes pretty far towards illustrating the difference between the left and right. On the right, they organize, have a sort of clear vision of what they want, gain political momentum, and bring us to the point we're at...where they've basically kidnapped the GOP and are weilding an incredible amount of power at the moment.

What do we do on the left? We sit around wall street banging bongos, with no clear demands nor 'exit strategy' ( I mean seriously, is there ANY events/outcome that would be considered 'victory' for these people? If so, are they going to share that with anyone at any point?) and bitch and moan about the man keeping them down. What the fuck. I dont agree with the whackado's on the right, but they sure as shit know how to collectivize, mobilize and enact real change. (collectivize is a word, right?)

Anyways, this is pathetic. I wish there were a real counterweight to the tea party on the progressive side, but once again the politicians on the left lack any real balls, and the normal grass roots folks are too busy smoking pot and whateverthefuck else they're doing to enact any real change.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:05 pm 

Thank you Yankee for basically making a point I would have eventually.

The tea party protests led directly to Republicans winning control of the house.
Occupy Wall Street will lead directly to a large sanitation bill.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:15 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The core of the movement was pretty solid before it was co-opted by people who just want to moan.

People are pissed about corporate welfare. People are pissed that the banking system was a large part of the reason why the economy took a shit. People are pissed because they got laid off not because there was a lack of work, but because their company wasn't making ENOUGH money. People are pissed that their tax dollars were given to banks that simply took that money to make more money for themselves, when they really didn't need it in the first place.

Lots of people down there have a right to be pissed. Plenty of other people are just hipsters who saw it on twitter.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:26 pm 

Squanto wrote:
The core of the movement was pretty solid before it was co-opted by people who just want to moan.

See I think the original movement was without purpose and focus then it was co-opted by people with a purpose and focus (Unions, move-on, DNC) just trying to capitalize on enthusiasm.

Regardless, I'd say they're not helping their cause.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:30 pm 

additionally...I think this is born of the Obama administration completely letting people down.

If these folks were so pissed at Wall Street, we should have seen them in 2008 or anytime between then and now.
Instead we see them after everyone has realized Obama isn't the leftist savior they hoped and is actually pretty powerless to enact "social justice" or whatever the fuck they're after.
Obama isn't going to get it done and he may not get re-elected and the Neo-cons will be in power again and these folks are pissed about that because they can't stop it.

So we sit and whine.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
additionally...I think this is born of the Obama administration completely letting people down.

If these folks were so pissed at Wall Street, we should have seen them in 2008 or anytime between then and now.
Instead we see them after everyone has realized Obama isn't the leftist savior they hoped and is actually pretty powerless to enact "social justice" or whatever the fuck they're after.
Obama isn't going to get it done and he may not get re-elected and the Neo-cons will be in power again and these folks are pissed about that because they can't stop it.

So we sit and whine.

Well, I try my best not to agree with you, :) but I think you're pretty right here.

And remembering all his campaign promises, rhetoric, fiery determination....I cant imagine the guy who actually WOULD have been able to get some 'social justice', or hell, to get republicans to budge one fucking inch on ANYTHING. Jesus, Obama looks like a neutered dog humping a stuffed teddy bear right about now he's so impotent.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:47 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

He deserves some fault for sure, but I think the fact that the government as a whole is impotent is the larger point.

I know other Democratic presidents have been able to work with Republican Congresses, but I think we can all agree the current Congress is completely dysfunctional, and has openly blocked everything that Obama has wanted to do for the last two years.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:53 pm 

Squanto wrote:
openly blocked everything that Obama has wanted to do for the last two years.

Oh come on now...they only had to block the things Obama didn't immediately roll over on ;)

Bush, idiot who got everything past a congress controlled by Dems.
Obama, genius who can't get anything past a congress controlled by Dems.

Mr. Natural
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:55 pm 
7th Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
...they have no clear demands, no leadership and no real political or social point

Sounds familiar

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:02 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck wrote:
Oh come on now...they only had to block the things Obama didn't immediately roll over on ;)

Sadly not totally wrong.

I dunno. I've just become totally disinterested in politics. Again. There isn't a party or candidate that gives a shit about anything other than keeping their donors happy, and keeping their pockets lined. Anyone who says otherwise is just bullshitting.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm 

Mr. Natural wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
...they have no clear demands, no leadership and no real political or social point

Sounds familiar

Uh no, not at all actually.

The Tea party came from a specific action (Rick Santelli's rant on the floor of the Chicago stock exchange) about a specific issue (tax payer funded bailouts).
That was generally expanded to a movement against high taxes, large government and government waste.

The folks squatting in NYC want everything from free internet for all, to the forgiveness of all student loan debt.

The only thing the movements have in common is they were both co-opted by a major political party.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next