It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 pm 
Star Sniper

Obama has signed the bill that congress passed in order to FINALLY keep TV ads' sound level the same as program level. Some might argue that this is mundane stuff for our gov't to deal with, but if you've had to constantly reach for the mute button during commercials or suffer the bitching from your wife to turn the sound down from loud commercials, this is a day to rejoice and sing upon the mountain tops. Service providers have until Dec 13, 2012 to comply, with some exceptions for a year after that. Most are already working to comply now, and I will at last be able to select a program and leave the remote on the table, no bitching or risk of waking people up late at night if I don't hit the mute button fast enough. Somewhere the sun is shining brighter, flowers are blooming, and rainbows are forming over sparkling waterfalls that unicorns are drinking from...with Led Zeppelin's Dancing Days playing in the background.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:12 am 
resident car guy

I am so glad that this finally passed.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 am 
Star Sniper

You mean that our government of the people actually made the will of the people into law? I figured they be too busy fixing the economy, aka hooking up campaign supporters. I'll bet the lobby for this would have been cheap, too. Tom Vu is gonna be kicking himself that he didn't team up with Bob Vila and Ronco to stomp this bill out.

I wonder what the deregulation crowd will say about this big upset for the people.

lol

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:25 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Everyone, literally, everyone wants this.

Commercials are recorded to play on any number of channels...different channels are broadcast at different volumes.
So unless the broadcasters themselves regulate the volume of their programming and the commercial to be at the same level, the commercial can often be much louder than the programming on that channel at that time.

Contrary to popular belief, advertisers aren't doing this on purpose...they want to grab and hold your attention, and if you're leaping for the remote and hitting the mute button they can't do either.

So maybe it's not the will of the people...it's Big Madison avenue lobbying the FCC ;)

/tinfoil hat