It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Montalo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
so what's the deal with "Thar be dragons" anyway? It says the forum is locked but it sure seems like we have access to it.

the lock prevents you form posting in the "that be dragons" forum, but the subfora arent locked, which is why we have access to it

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:24 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
peteythedancingsabre wrote:
This isn't an issue about people voting for Obama because he's black. It's an issue with people who simply don't feel like educating themselves on politics, and will vote for any politician who looks the best to them based on very little information. That's hardly a situation that's unique to Obama.

Bingo

I participate in every election possible down to school board and dogcatcher. I vote a lot.

In the 2008 general election my polling place for the first time had a line out the door.
In the 2008 general election my polling place for the first time was filled with black people (roughly 75% African-American opposed to the usual crowd of white retirees and Latinos)

I know this is just one person's experience, but it is what it is.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sure, and Christians line up to see Tim Tebow too, even a lot who maybe don't follow football. Yet I don't see too many on the right feeling the need to call out those Christians as being religious bigots.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:42 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Sure, and Christians line up to see Tim Tebow too, even a lot who maybe don't follow football. Yet I don't see too many on the right feeling the need to call out those Christians as being religious bigots.

tim tebow doesn't have the most important job in the country or one of the most important ones in the world.

sorry man, but i really had to point that out, i hate metaphors like that.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:49 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Not a problem Pat, you're right that it's not the same situation, but it's an analogy.

However there has been plenty of anti-black racism in elections past (a lot of sexism too) that has benefitted white men. I just love how the first time anything close to the reverse happens, everyone on the right cries foul as if there used to be this level playing field that Obama cheated us out of.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:52 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

I'm not calling anyone out.
Just stating what I saw and what I assume is obvious to everyone.

But since Obama supporters have so quickly and so often flashed the race card at his opponents I'm not going to get very worked up over this.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Again, I have NEVER heard an Obama supporter call someone who criticized him a racist in person, here, or in the media. I have however heard plenty of people here and in the rightwing media say that people will call them racist if they criticize him. But over and over it's the Obama detractors always bringing up race as far as I see. So again I say whoever smelt it dealt it. Cross, find me one post where someone here says it's racist to not support Obama. Where is the "race card" being flashed here anywhere except by you and others bringing up the race card?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:33 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Again, I have NEVER heard an Obama supporter call someone who criticized him a racist in person, here, or in the media.

Really? Seriously?

Well, here's a Rasmussen poll
Quote:
Rasmussen asked: “Do people oppose the president’s policies primarily because they believe the policies are bad or do they oppose the president’s policies because they are racist?”

43% of black Americans said racist.
26% of black Americans said policies.
31% of black Americans were unsure.

16% of white Americans said racism.
73% of white Americans said policies.
11% of white Americans were unsure.

Here's Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton doing it
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-me ... led-racism

Here's Jimmy Carter doing it
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... ks-so.html

more
http://www.breitbart.tv/abc-news-devote ... a-critics/
more
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bake ... rumpets-ca

but whatever

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

First link: This is what sharpton has to say regarding remarks made by Newt Gingrich, on the campaign trail in florida about obama being 'the foodstamp' president:

'But I think that he is clearly going after what he considers a Southern mentality, with racial allusions, and always wrapped around when he refers to the president, when he talks about this food stamp stuff. These are no -- newt Gingrich is many things, stupid is not one of them. He knows exactly what he's saying, he knows exactly who he's playing to, and when you look at that map, he knows as you deal with that northern border of Florida, which is Southern Alabama and all of those states where the’re headed, he knows what he’s, what card he's playing,"

So, Al sharpton didnt like some things that Newt Gingrich had to say about Obama, feeling they had racial undertones. That's a whole lot different than "all the presidents critics are racially motivated"

Second Link: Ok, Jimmy carter is saying he thinks race is a factor in how people feel about obama. An old guy, from the south, once beltway insider/ruler of the free world, has an opinion about race in politics. Maybe he has SOME idea what he's talking about? That being said, he's one guy and does not speak for everyone. Although i'll admit, this link does support your case.

Third link: What the fuck? It's a news story, about...a news company, who wrote a story. There are no quotes, there are no citations, just a 'news story'. This in no way supports your case.

Fourth link: Again, a news story about a news outlet. Two of them this time, NBC and ABC. And I say...so fucking what? These are news companies, who report the news. Or make shit up and spew it anyways. It has zero bearing on our argument, and does not support your case.

Twice you just use stories ABOUT stories as evidence that us lefties are always rallying on about how people who dont like obama are racially motivated. If 'the left' is accountable for anything any 'liberal' media outlet says, then the right is accountable for everything Fox news says, and dollars to donuts, Fox wins that particular battle of who can be most full of shit.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm 
Star Sniper

It's wrong, but I don't really blame Jackson for saying it. What is funny in a sad way is how some people assume others' beliefs, behavior, and motivation are based in immorality (racism in this example). So much of my efforts at work in years past have been in vain because people just didn't believe or trust me based on race or because I'm law enforcement. Trying to help "at risk" youth is much harder just because of superficial reasons (race, job) on their part. Another person who simply looks like them and isn't law enforcement can get a better response despite knowing jack shit about the issues they deal with. This other person can load them up with BS that won't help a damn, but the kids will at least pay attention and possibly give back an effort. But real knowledge coming from me? "...Nah, he's just another white cop...".

Anyway, no surprise that SOME people will vote based on race alone, but what's disheartening is the extent that some-many people will just assume the other person uses racial reasoning or racist attitudes on about every issue or topic. It's distrust feeding into more distrust until some people never even try for an honest discussion.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Again, I have NEVER heard an Obama supporter call someone who criticized him a racist in person, here, or in the media.

Really? Seriously?

Well, here's a Rasmussen poll
Quote:
Rasmussen asked: “Do people oppose the president’s policies primarily because they believe the policies are bad or do they oppose the president’s policies because they are racist?”

43% of black Americans said racist.
26% of black Americans said policies.
31% of black Americans were unsure.

16% of white Americans said racism.
73% of white Americans said policies.
11% of white Americans were unsure.

Here's Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton doing it
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-me ... led-racism

Here's Jimmy Carter doing it
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... ks-so.html

more
http://www.breitbart.tv/abc-news-devote ... a-critics/
more
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bake ... rumpets-ca

but whatever

Still haven't found one post of someone you actually know here saying it though, have you? And of course I could find you dozens of posts where you and others talk about how people are always using the racecard. But as you say whatever, it's not the right preoccupied with his race right?

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

And also the way in which this whole "racecard" accusation is done by you Cross and others I hear around here couldn't be more transparent. It's kinda like if I went out to a party with my wife and said to our friends "Oops, I'm not allowed to bring up your eating and your weight, so I just won't say anything about that dessert you're eating. Wouldn't want to get in trouble".

peteythedancingsabre
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 pm 
Textbook Grinder

I still don't feel like this is an issue particularly unique to black people. Yes, I'm sure there have been plenty of black people who have pulled the race card when it comes to Obama. Having lived in a majority black county all my life, I'm well aware that there are some people who will pull the race card on you for just about anything. That said, if you had a serious female front runner (and I'm talking someone who isn't batshit insane ala Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachmann/etc. A woman that other women could really connect with.) up for the presidency, I'm sure you'd hear someone screaming sexism for anyone who didn't support the female candidate or others saying that the race was all about gender. Likewise, I'm sure women would be out in full force in the polling booths moreso than they had in past years. I'm sure there would be women who would vote for that female candidate solely for the fact that she's a female. The same could likely be said for a Muslim running for president, or a Latino, etc etc.

Ultimately, this still isn't about race--not when you look at the big picture. It's about people not making fully educated decisions, or simply voting for superficial reasons. That kind of thinking isn't exclusive to just one particular race, religion, or gender. Anyone saying this is all about race is clearly overlooking the fact that this isn't all about race. It's about uneducated or willfully ignorant voters voting for a candidate based on the way he or she looks and acts, rather than on more important issues like policies.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Really? Seriously?

Still haven't found one post of someone you actually know here saying it though, have you? And of course I could find you dozens of posts where you and others talk about how people are always using the racecard. But as you say whatever, it's not the right preoccupied with his race right?

You laid out a challenge, I met it.
It not hard to find any type of media discussing Obama's opponents as racist...google it.
I'm not arguing with anyone here. It is what it is.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Really? Seriously?

You laid out a challenge, I met it.
It not hard to find any type of media discussing Obama's opponents as racist...google it.

That wasn't the challenge, just an observation. The challenge was to find a post saying being anti-Obama means you're racist.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:00 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
That wasn't the challenge, just an observation. The challenge was to find a post saying being anti-Obama means you're racist.

Well you said you haven't heard of it in the media *shrug*
It's not hard to find all over the place...start with MSNBC and "The View"
I'm talking about blanket statements like if you're against health care reform you're really just racist...of if you support the Tea party you're really racist.

Of course people here are calling each other racists...we know each other, that tends to take the edge off the demagoguery.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

So why bring up a gripe with MSNBC when no one here is on MSNBC to my knowledge? I do, on the other hand, hear people here talking about this racecard thing not infrequently when Obama comes up. Thus I am more concerned with that.

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 pm 
Star Sniper

Not to be insulting in any way, but Peteythe19yearoldgurl has the best responses, and she's not even political.

It seems NYI had the intention of throwing a race grenade, and it worked. I think what SLJ meant was that people vote for people like themselves. Christians voted for Bush because he's a Christian. A female candidate would get more female votes, etc. I think the guy just worded it poorly. Is he racist, maybe. Are there tons of racist people out there, definitely. He simply got caught trying to be real in a fake world. A capital offense these days.

Crosscheck wrote:

...and vice-versa.

I know you're a smart enough guy to know the race-card river flows in both directions, and it's all just political posturing.

This thread should probably just get a lock, because we all know the facts, and this is just inciting nonsense, but whatever.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
So why bring up a gripe with MSNBC when no one here is on MSNBC to my knowledge? I do, on the other hand, hear people here talking about this racecard thing not infrequently when Obama comes up. Thus I am more concerned with that.

Because you wrote the words "or in the media".
That's why.
I thought that was an incredulous statement and I needed to address it ;)

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
we all know the facts, and this is just inciting nonsense, but whatever.

My real problem is I'm not gonna sit back and stand by if the facts that some of us chose to highlight are only those Fox News would want us to hear. I know that probably makes me seem like I'm just doing the opposite, toeing the MSNBC line or whatever, but I feel like if I don't, these political forums just become discussions of the latest Rush limbaugh talking-points.