It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:06 pm 
Superstar Goalie

But premiums are already high and rise all the time partly because we cover the cost of non-insured people getting care at emergency rooms all the time.

I guess at the end of the day it boils down to two ways of thinking. One being that you are okay with paying a few dollars more in taxes so those less fortunate than yourself will have health care or you feel that your money is yours and to hell with other people. I understand both views and get them. I just wish they would cut out all the other partisan bullshit and just act like fucking adults.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:

So besides the whole "insurance by gov't force" thing, some tax paying working people are afraid their premiums will rise to cover the cost of those getting health insurance that don't pay "their fair share" into the system - both non-workers and workers who choose the paltry 1% tax.

This WILL happen. I have no problem with the insurance mandate. People have to pay other taxes, and have to get car insurance for example. What I hate is that there are no built-in price controls. If you force the insurance companies to take everyone no matter their health, but do nothing to control the financial side, the law becomes a big handout to the insurance industry which is exactly what it is.

This law is a step in the right direction in some ways, but it's high time to get rid of the employer-based healthcare system. It's fucking aasinine.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Furthermore, if Republicans really fucking cared about "small businesses", maybe they'd see that a single-payer healthcare system would do more to help them than almost any other move. In the current system, small businesses have to pay a higher percentage of their revenue on providing an employee health plan, or they don't provide one at all, making them lose a lot of the best employees to bigger companies that do provide healthcare. The current system, and any that puts the burden on the employer, is bound to fuck small business and tilt the playing field evermore towards the larger corporations.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:01 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Displaced Fan wrote:
Can someone answer me this? Why are Republicans saying they are pissed that they will be footing the bill now through taxes? I thought this mandate made people have to pay for their own shit. It doesn't completely take care of the tax burden but now people have to get insurance and pay for their own health care. I'm confused.

It's a flawed narrative.

If you DON'T carry health insurance, you'll pay the tax. If you DO carry health insurance, nothing changes.

The vast majority of the middle class already carries insurance through their employer. So they have nothing to worry about. No new tax. If anything, their premiums _should_ go down, since more people are in the pool to spread the risk. (This is actually where the children to 26 clause helps out a lot ; parents pay the family premium for 8 more years, and insurance companies get that money for really young, healthy people who would probably have skated without it for a while.)

The people who DON'T carry insurance pay the tax, and theoretically that tax goes back into the system when those people don't pay their medical bills. (Theoretically, but probably unlikely.)

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
Can someone answer me this? Why are Republicans saying they are pissed that they will be footing the bill now through taxes? I thought this mandate made people have to pay for their own shit. It doesn't completely take care of the tax burden but now people have to get insurance and pay for their own health care. I'm confused.

It's a flawed narrative.

From republicans? What? No way!

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:38 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

It's a flawed narrative.

From republicans? What? No way!

Hey, let's be fair. The Dems can make up their fair share of shit too.