It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
They were climbing over themselves to report the Sikh Temple shooter was a skinhead / white power asshole.
Yet here (when reporting was done), they intentionally withheld information regarding motive.

Yeah, I'm not surprised, but I will point it out when they make their biases so obvious.

I do not feel you have done this with any consistency. Are you perhaps referring merely to major events, to shootings, to only things that catch your eye?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:58 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
They were climbing over themselves to report the Sikh Temple shooter was a skinhead / white power asshole.
Yet here (when reporting was done), they intentionally withheld information regarding motive.

Yeah, I'm not surprised, but I will point it out when they make their biases so obvious.

I do not feel you have done this with any consistency. Are you perhaps referring merely to major events, to shootings, to only things that catch your eye?

I don't need to be consistent (I'm just some hack asshole on the internet), they do.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

I don't need to be consistent (I'm just some hack asshole on the internet), they do.

Indeed. LGBT seem to inspire consistency-blinders, on both sides of that issue.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

We're talking about paid professional journalists and this was a hard news piece, not editorial.

I think it's hard to say "well shucks, there they go being inconsistent again"...I mean we're not talking about entertainment news like Fox or MSNBC here.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I really cannot speak to how much coverage there was of this event, I was definitely AWARE it happened, via at least NPR, and some other radio source, but hadnt heard the guys name (not sure if that's a new strategy/tactic they're using, it was discussed a bit after the colorado thing) until today.

But I wonder if we're actually managing to get 'crazy person shoots people' weariness. Like..."yeah, whatever, all he did was shoot a security guard in the arm. The OTHER guys managed to KILL multiple people, in a more spectacular way, in a theater, in a place of worship, places someone might expect more safety than in a politically 'hot' locale such as this."

Are we, as a population reflected by our media, getting desensitized to this? Think about it, since columbine really brought it front and center, it feels like we see this shit all the time now, punctuated by three incidents in what, 5-6 weeks? If they're not going to make a spectacular splash to outdo those who've killed before, I guess we have a hard time getting as excited about it.

Well, that or the media is totally liberally biased, and a pawn of the LBGT community. :)

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Well, they've been having the likes of Tony Perkins, Peter Sprigg, Maggie Gallagher, and Brian Brown on as social policy experts and members of pro-family organizations for years if you want to go that route. The aforementioned individuals are only those two things if you want to live in blatant disregard of the facts.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm 
Captain Dynasty

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
I really cannot speak to how much coverage there was of this event, I was definitely AWARE it happened, via at least NPR, and some other radio source, but hadnt heard the guys name (not sure if that's a new strategy/tactic they're using, it was discussed a bit after the colorado thing) until today.

But I wonder if we're actually managing to get 'crazy person shoots people' weariness. Like..."yeah, whatever, all he did was shoot a security guard in the arm. The OTHER guys managed to KILL multiple people, in a more spectacular way, in a theater, in a place of worship, places someone might expect more safety than in a politically 'hot' locale such as this."

Are we, as a population reflected by our media, getting desensitized to this? Think about it, since columbine really brought it front and center, it feels like we see this shit all the time now, punctuated by three incidents in what, 5-6 weeks? If they're not going to make a spectacular splash to outdo those who've killed before, I guess we have a hard time getting as excited about it.

Well, that or the media is totally liberally biased, and a pawn of the LBGT community. :)

If the media was a complete pawn of the LGBT community, they'd start calling people like Tony Perkins of the FRC what they are instead of letting them off the hook as supporters of "traditional values" and "social policy experts."

That said, it seems there has always been a slant in one direction or the other on every single issue via an out of context quote or withheld information.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:50 pm 
Star Sniper

I'm desensitized to the fact that regardless of a media outlet's bias in one direction or another, that they will always provide an incomplete or inaccurate story. I see this weekly when I read news stories about local crime, but have access to the detailed police reports. The gap between the two is ridonkulous. For example, locally there is a trend to always identify white suspects and/or show pictures, while black suspects are not described or pictured, stating "police provided an incomplete description of the suspect". The editor deems a "complete description" as not only the sex and race, but the clothing from head to toe. So when a victim or witness tells the officer that a black male with dreads and a white t-shirt robbed the gas station, the paper reports an "incomplete description" because they didn't describe the pants or shoes. But a white suspect with a blue ball cap gets described as such, with no further info on hair, eyes, clothing, etc. It's actually a source of entertainment for me several times a week to compare stories to reports.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I guess Tony Perkins did a good enough job crying victim to be allowed to (allegedly) write the anti-marriage equality anti-family portion of the GOP's plank.

Meanwhile, awkward silence over at GOProud and Log Cabin Republicans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6