It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
I think it's sad and moronic that people are now boycotting this place...they're independently owned franchises.

Awesome. When arguing against government intervention in the marketplace it's all "let the free market decide what will live and die", and now when that's actually happening it's sad and pathetic? So basically you just agree with however the right/conservatives/christian militia decide to act. Gotcha.

It's sad and pathetic that uninformed people are boycotting innocent franchise owners.
The free market doesn't enter into the picture here.

EDIT: let me put it this way...it's never been a secret that Chick-Fil-A was founded by a very religious guy (hence it being closed on Sunday) so that part of it should already be baked into the free market equation. I think it's disingenuous for people to now say "OMG this super religious, outspoken Christian believes exactly what we should have assumed he believes...grab your pitchforks!"

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:01 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Honestly, I think it's sad and moronic that the franchisee had to do this at all. While the Cathy family has a right to say what they want, sometimes it's not always the best choice.

If I'm a franchisee, I'm pissed I have to deal with this.

I totally agree, it was a bad business move (but so is refusing to open on Sunday). I think the reaction to the entire fiasco has been overblown and rage has been misplaced.

We've been agreeing a little too much lately. I don't like this.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
I think it's sad and moronic that people are now boycotting this place...they're independently owned franchises.

Awesome. When arguing against government intervention in the marketplace it's all "let the free market decide what will live and die", and now when that's actually happening it's sad and pathetic? So basically you just agree with however the right/conservatives/christian militia decide to act. Gotcha.

It's sad and pathetic that uninformed people are boycotting innocent franchise owners.
The free market doesn't enter into the picture here.

EDIT: let me put it this way...it's never been a secret that Chick-Fil-A was founded by a very religious guy (hence it being closed on Sunday) so that part of it should already be baked into the free market equation. I think it's disingenuous for people to now say "OMG this super religious, outspoken Christian believes exactly what we should have assumed he believes...grab your pitchforks!"

The free market most certainly does enter into the picture here.
1) those franchise owners pay money to the parent corporation. If they lose business, they're less able to pay that franchising fee. The boycott affects both the franchise owner and the family owning chic fil a. Considering that its basically impossible for an unhappy customer to affect the actual owners of chic fil a, this is their only real route of protest.

2) by your own admission, people know this is a 'christian' company, and they should act in such a manner. Ok, well that also applies to franchisees, who have chosen to do business under the leadership of this backwards ass bigot who runs the whole thing. Therefore, they are not 'innocent' when there is backlash to corporate stances on social issues.

And wtf, christians have been pulling this same shit with companies like JCpenney, disney, replacements inc, etc etc etc, whenever a company has a gay spokesman, takes some stance against sexual bigotry, or any progressive stance on anything...you can bet there is some christian mothers association somewhere making fliers and angrily sending out emails telling their flock who/why they should boycott. Except THEIR rationale is based on a 2000 year old book with like, 400 authors. Whereas this protest is based on the fact that this guy is promoting bigotry and exclusion.

So I agree. Fuck Tim Thomas, he can go suck a dick.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:11 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

That's a good point. Christians shouldn't complain about a boycott of a business when they've done exactly the same thing in the past.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:28 pm 
Star Sniper

I like the food, I'm going to keep eating there. My appetite means more than the next flavor of the month social catastrophy.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:00 pm 

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
2) by your own admission, people know this is a 'christian' company, and they should act in such a manner. Ok, well that also applies to franchisees, who have chosen to do business under the leadership of this backwards ass bigot who runs the whole thing. Therefore, they are not 'innocent' when there is backlash to corporate stances on social issues.

You missed the point, which is the knowledge of the owners strong religious beliefs should already be baked into the market's assesment of the company.
People getting up in arms over a revelation that should have been assumed is stupid.

I've never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A and there wasn't even one in my area until about a year ago...so my knowledge of the company is very limited.
The one thing I've known about them for years and years is it's run by very religious christians.

What will happen next week when the owner drops the bomb that's he's pro-life?
Will everyone be shocked then too?

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:

You missed the point, which is the knowledge of the owners strong religious beliefs should already be baked into the market's assesment of the company.
People getting up in arms over a revelation that should have been assumed is stupid.

So you're saying if someone is christian, we should automatically assume they hold the view that 1) Homosexuals do not deserve 'marriage' like heterosexuals do and 2) that they dont believe women should be given the choice to do what they want with their own bodies?

I'd guess that not ALL christians appreciate being pigeonholed like that cross. I keep hearing about these 'moderate' christians who arent crazy social whackado's. What about them?

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

You know, i'm honestly not even sure what we're arguing about. I dont actually disagree that this guy/his company has every right to come out however they want on any social/political issue. And athletes have the right to support them or not, vocally or not, and we all have the right to not eat their food, or eat their food, or call them fucking asshole christian cunts on hockey forums. What exactly is the issue?

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I thought it was a bit of an attention grab by Thomas. I have no doubt that those are the positions he holds, but his timing and presentation have all the appearance of a guy angling for a certain kind of attention, and the post-hockey career such attention can give him.

As far as Chick-fil-A is concerned, their stance on LGBT is old hat. They've been donating to anti-gay hate groups since 2003, perhaps even longer than that. I have no issue with Dan Cathy, or a corporation holding such statements, but I'm also glad that such stances and statements are getting a fair bit of attention empowering those that disagree with the knowledge of said company/person's positions and the ability to choose to take their business elsewhere.

I am sure that, much like the Salvation Army, experiences with Chick-fil-A vary by the particular establishment and region. No doubt they are terrible to LGBT individuals where they can get away with it, and pleasant when they cannot. I don't agree with the mayors that want to bar Chick-fil-A restaurants from opening in their cities, but I can understand where they're coming from. Both Massachusetts and Illinois have laws that bar discrimination based on both gender identity and sexual orientation (ahead of NY in that regard) so it seems a silly war to wage. But, so far as I can tell, politics is all about silly wars.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:20 pm 
Hart Winner

By the way, I have 54% of people in the U.S to back up my opinion, so most people are NOT in favor to completely abolish separation between church and state to oppress the rights of a certain group of people. My point is to not stop people like Thomas and the president of Chick Fil A, but to point out that they're obviously assholes. Which, I'm allowed to say that as well as they're allowed to verbally fuck people in the name of God...

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I thought it was a bit of an attention grab by Thomas. I have no doubt that those are the positions he holds, but his timing and presentation have all the appearance of a guy angling for a certain kind of attention, and the post-hockey career such attention can give him.

As far as Chick-fil-A is concerned, their stance on LGBT is old hat. They've been donating to anti-gay hate groups since 2003, perhaps even longer than that. I have no issue with Dan Cathy, or a corporation holding such statements, but I'm also glad that such stances and statements are getting a fair bit of attention empowering those that disagree with the knowledge of said company/person's positions and the ability to choose to take their business elsewhere.

I am sure that, much like the Salvation Army, experiences with Chick-fil-A vary by the particular establishment and region. No doubt they are terrible to LGBT individuals where they can get away with it, and pleasant when they cannot. I don't agree with the mayors that want to bar Chick-fil-A restaurants from opening in their cities, but I can understand where they're coming from. Both Massachusetts and Illinois have laws that bar discrimination based on both gender identity and sexual orientation (ahead of NY in that regard) so it seems a silly war to wage. But, so far as I can tell, politics is all about silly wars.

You in Seattle yet CV?

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm 
Captain Dynasty

No, I think we are moving out September 4th or 5th. Just had the move assessor come by today and tally up my shit (my partner sent pictures) so we're progressing.

Looking forward to the Pacific NW, it is beautiful by all accounts and it is difficult to find a bad word about it or Seattle specifically. Looking forward to leaving New York as well to be honest. Sick of a great many things.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:24 pm 

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
So you're saying if someone is christian, we should automatically assume they hold the view that 1) Homosexuals do not deserve 'marriage' like heterosexuals do and 2) that they dont believe women should be given the choice to do what they want with their own bodies?

I'd guess that not ALL christians appreciate being pigeonholed like that cross. I keep hearing about these 'moderate' christians who arent crazy social whackado's. What about them?

No, I'm not saying that. I think any reasonable person can take a cursary look at what chick-fil-a stands for as a company and make that assumption though.
He's not a Massachusetts Catholic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Or even a majority catholic, though probably in Georgia.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:22 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Tim Thomas wrote:
I stand with Chick-fil-A.

Not Tim Thomas wrote:
Chick-fil-A is privately owned by the Cathy family. The company president, Dan Cathy, drew the wrath of gay rights advocates and supporters when he made recent statements that some have alleged are anti-gay.

Cathy told Baptist Press that the company was unapologetically in favor of traditional marriage.

“Guilty as charged,” he said. “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

In a separate interview on the Ken Coleman Show — Cathy suggested that the nation could face God’s wrath over the redefinition of marriage.

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” Cathy said. “I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we would have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is all about.”

I think a very important distinction needs to be made here.

Also, I agree with y'all on the "this hurts the franchisee" train. It's exactly the same as when people boycotted any gas station with the BP logo on them.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:04 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:
Tim Thomas wrote:

Not Tim Thomas wrote:
Chick-fil-A is privately owned by the Cathy family. The company president, Dan Cathy, drew the wrath of gay rights advocates and supporters when he made recent statements that some have alleged are anti-gay.

Cathy told Baptist Press that the company was unapologetically in favor of traditional marriage.

“Guilty as charged,” he said. “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

In a separate interview on the Ken Coleman Show — Cathy suggested that the nation could face God’s wrath over the redefinition of marriage.

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” Cathy said. “I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we would have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is all about.”

Also, I agree with y'all on the "this hurts the franchisee" train. It's exactly the same as when people boycotted any gas station with the BP logo on them.

What's the 'very important distinction'? That he didn't actually say this bigoted bullshit, but instead endorsed it?

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm 
Superstar Goalie

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
NYIntensity wrote:
Tim Thomas wrote:

Not Tim Thomas wrote:

What's the 'very important distinction'? That he didn't actually say this bigoted bullshit, but instead endorsed it?

I have yet to hear him say anything bigoted; as far as I can tell, he is only supporting their right to say it.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Really.

Chic fil a comes out and says "No marriage for gay people!"
Tim Thomas says "I stand with Chic fil a"

and YOU interpret that as him saying "I stand by chic fil a's RIGHT to say whatever they want"...and that it has nothing to do with him endorsing their particular stance on gay marriage?

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:31 pm 
Hart Winner

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Really.

Chic fil a comes out and says "No marriage for gay people!"
Tim Thomas says "I stand with Chic fil a"

and YOU interpret that as him saying "I stand by chic fil a's RIGHT to say whatever they want"...and that it has nothing to do with him endorsing their particular stance on gay marriage?

Thank you. I don't get why people are spinning it to make it look like Thomas doesn't agree with Chic-Fil-A. He's obviously sharing the same views.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

NYIntensity wrote:
I have yet to hear him say anything bigoted; as far as I can tell, he is only supporting their right to say it.

I think you're splitting hairs.

Thomas' 'I stand with Chik-fil-A' is about as vague as possible. Could mean any number of things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next