It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Stuuuuuuu
 Post subject: The Mitt Romney campaign
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Thought about putting that title in the lol thread since the campaign is such a fucking joke. However, I realized there's so much to laugh at, it needed its own thread.

Holy fucking shit what a dumbass!! That secret camera footage has to qualify as one of the biggest PR blunders of all time. I see absolutely no way to recover from insulting nearly half the population. The Republican party is so fucked.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I don't entirely disagree, but he did insult a group that is largely comprised of people who aren't going to vote for him anyway. However it's likely this won't exactly endear him to undecided voters in states that matter.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:29 pm 
Hart Winner

He bashed 47% of Americans who don't pay income tax.
I mean, Romney pays 14.1%! What a hassle! (.......)

But, let's take a look at those 47% of freeloaders.

The elderly on social security and medicare
The disabled
Our troops
People making 20k or less a year (who pay a payroll tax that is just as much money).

Romney is an idiot, truly.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:18 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Egh, I put that gaffe slightly above the footage of Obama's "clinging to their bibles and guns" statement. As in, "things that everyone in the room is thinking but you don't say out loud".
It didn't move the polls very much so it must be a great feeling for Democrats to know that he can shit the bed that much and not lose support.

Which was sort of his original point...which is true.
Obama will get 47% by default...no matter what. and he'll get 47% by default...no matter what.

Why he tried to link that fact with the bipartisan 47% that don't pay Federal income taxes I have no friggin clue.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:28 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I'm honestly starting to wonder if the Romney campaign (and other republican gaffery) is some sort of complicated performance art in a medium we've not seen before. Tax dodging, Libya, 47%, Pawlenty bailing, Olympic paced marathon time, expert-mountaineering, Eastwood rambling...jesus, are they TRYING to lose the election?

I think if they'd managed to remain on topic (the economy) and make it a referendum about Obama they would probably have won, but the absurd self destruction on their part is just mind boggling.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:44 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
Obama will get 47% by default...no matter what. and he'll get 47% by default...no matter what.

Why he tried to link that fact with the bipartisan 47% that don't pay Federal income taxes I have no friggin clue.

Screw income taxes, how about "think their victims" and "depend on the government for food and healthcare"? That's like Obama saying that 47% of the country will never vote for him because they're racist. Maybe that's what some passionate democrat thinks, but it's not accurate and it shouldn't ever be brought up by the candidate himself.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Maybe that's what some passionate democrat thinks, but it's not accurate and it shouldn't ever be brought up by the candidate himself.

This. There's just this...intangible 'out of touch' feeling about Mitt. And the 47% incident aside, it's everything I've ever seen him say or do. He's awkward and untrustworthy. Maybe I only feel like that because i've got a clear liberal bias, but he just doesn't scare me as a candidate, way too John Kerryish.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 am 
Hart Winner

Crosscheck wrote:
Egh, I put that gaffe slightly above the footage of Obama's "clinging to their bibles and guns" statement. As in, "things that everyone in the room is thinking but you don't say out loud".

I don't think any normal person would think our troops, the elderly on social security, poor workers who pay a payroll tax or the disabled are freeloaders.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:30 am 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
That's like Obama saying that 47% of the country will never vote for him because they're racist. Maybe that's what some passionate democrat thinks, but it's not accurate and it shouldn't ever be brought up by the candidate himself.

That's exactly what I said....it's something everyone int he room is thinking but no one should ever say.
Just like the "guns and bibles" quote....Obama and many Democrats really believe that and no one should ever say it....especially the candidate himself.

It's a millionaire speaking to a room full of millionaires about something most millionaires probably believe.
He badly jumbled together a bunch of country club talking points into a highly offensive conglomeration.

BlueandYellow wrote:
I don't think any normal person would think our troops, the elderly on social security, poor workers who pay a payroll tax or the disabled are freeloaders.

I don't think he believes that either and that's not what he said.
I don't think ANYONE believes that.

To the larger point though...There are, in fact a large number of people who will only vote democrat because of the government benefits they believe republicans will take away.
This is plainly evidenced if you watched any part of the DNC. It was a list of the great things Obama and the democrats would give the people if only the mean republicans didn't get in their way. I was sickened by a couple of the most pandering speeches.

Do you guys believe 99 weeks of Federal unemployment is good and necessary?
Do you guys believe adding more people to food stamps and disability last month than found work is a good thing? A noble thing?

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:38 am 
Franchise Defenseman

No Cross, that's not the larger point. And no, democrats do not all think the working poor cling to their guns and religion. I can't believe you are actually arguing that that's what all democrats think but don't say, and that all republicans think half the country are moochers but just don't say it. I find it ridiculous that you would suggest that.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:40 am 

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's a plain fact that we have an unsustainable entitlement issue in this country and if no one wants to talk about it it'll never get fixed.

Social security will die without major intervention.
Medicare will die without major intervention.

As far as I can tell, non-intervention is the Democrats plan for fear of stepping on toes.
That's an indefensible position.

Crosscheck

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
No Cross, that's not the larger point. And no, democrats do not all think the working poor cling to their guns and religion. I can't believe you are actually arguing that that's what all democrats think but don't say, and that all republicans think half the country are moochers but just don't say it. I find it ridiculous that you would suggest that.

I didn't, I said a room full of millionaire Republican campaign donors would think that.

BlueandYellow
Hart Winner

He said 47% are people who don't pay income taxes who feel entitled to what the government gives them he will not worry about them they need to take responsibility for themselves ETC.

those 47% are troops, the elderly on social security, poor workers who pay a payroll tax or the disabled.

So, he DID INDEED say that our troops, the elderly on social security, poor workers who pay a payroll tax and the disabled are people who feel entitled and people he SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT or assist.

I think THAT'S why those people are going to vote for Obama, because Romney basically FLIPPED THEM THE BIRD.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:42 am 
Hart Winner

To further explain, why would 47% of America vote for the guy INSULTING them for not paying income tax when that's COMPLETELY idiotic? I'd vote for Obama, too!

Another portion of that 47% are students, something I left out.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 am 

You're missing the cause of the gaffe entirely.
He was making a point about 47% of people who won't vote for him
That's true.

For some reason he tried to tie that to a completely different 47% of the population.
That's false.

That doesn't mean he believes those people are one in the same and has said so if you've bothered to listen to any of his interviews since.
I personally don't want him to back down from the entitlement issue. No matter how taboo people think it is.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:52 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is it's a plain fact that we have an unsustainable entitlement issue in this country and if no one wants to talk about it it'll never get fixed.

Social security will die without major intervention.
Medicare will die without major intervention.

As far as I can tell, non-intervention is the Democrats plan for fear of stepping on toes.
That's an indefensible position.

And the GOP plan is: stop spending on those programs. How is that a defensible position? And how are tax cuts gonna help?

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:53 am 
Hart Winner

During the video he came right out and said Obama was corrupt and a bad guy.

"And because they voted for him, they want to be told that they were wrong, that he's a bad guy, and that he did bad things, and that he's corrupt."

If Romney's point is that Obama voters are only voting for him because they don't want to be wrong that's idiocy. If Romney thinks Obama voters are voting for Obama because they feel entitled to government assistance, that's idiocy. Romney's policies and ideas have been thrashed and factually fucked, maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited by BlueandYellow on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:00 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
And the GOP plan is: stop spending on those programs. How is that a defensible position? And how are tax cuts gonna help?

No, the GOP has a couple different plans but most of them involve some level of privatization.

Now you can say that's a shitty plan and you may be right, but at least they have the balls to put one forward.
Because, again, the Democrats plan is to have SS and Medicare rot on the vine...but at least they won't take away your benefits, that'll just kind of happen naturally.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:04 pm 

BlueandYellow wrote:
Romney's policies and ideas have been thrashed and factually fucked, maybe that has something to do with it.

Oh, so you've been through his 50 something point plan for the economy?
Please compare and contrast to Obama's economic plan and highlight where Romney is "factually" wrong.

Have you actually read Obama's pathetic economic plan?
http://change.gov/agenda/economy_agenda/
Government giveaway (Chinese money)
Tax break
Tax break
etc.
I especially like the Government handout directly to banks "if necessary"

It's fucking laughable.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 pm 
Hart Winner

Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

No, the GOP has a couple different plans but most of them involve some level of privatization.

Now you can say that's a shitty plan and you may be right, but at least they have the balls to put one forward.
Because, again, the Democrats plan is to have SS and Medicare rot on the vine...but at least they won't take away your benefits, that'll just kind of happen naturally.

Obama said he wanted to strengthen social security. Last time I checked, Romney and Ryan attacked Obama for cutting medicare, which is exactly what Ryan wanted to do!

$716 billion is the same amount of Medicare savings that he had in his own budget.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next