It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:32 pm 
PP Quarterback

If i recall correctly, a strong federal government was exactly what the founding fathers tried to avoid...

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Well the founding fathers did need to work hard to unite the many cultural and regional influences in the United States to conduct a war of independence with England. And they outlined Federal powers in the Constitution (along with states rights). My interpretation of accounts from that era is that the goal was balancing strengths, not a strength or a weakness in one area or another. I guess "strong" is a bit of a relative term.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
A strong federal government certainly wasn't one of our founding principles.

It certainly was. And perhaps CV is right in stressing the relative nature of strong, but the central goal was replacing the Articles of Confederation which made the central government too weak. But our first two parties were the Federalists and the anti-Federalists. The Federalists (including people like Madison and Hamilton) won that battle. I don't think there's much disagreement with that. Yes, Jefferson and others stressed not granting too much power to the national government, but his side gave n way more than the Federalists.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

In fact, the two most important events between the Revolutionary War and the writing of the Constitution as far as the strength of the national government were Shay's Rebellion in Massachusetts, and the Whiskey Rebellion in Pennsylvania. Both cases had to do with people trying to rebel against national tax policies. Both were put d.own by the government by force. So I don't see how anyone could make the argument that the "founding fathers" would be for some Republicans' version of states rights where, for example, states would refuse to enact the Affordable Care Act. All the evidence I see says they would have sent in the army to Florida or whatever state tried to do such a thing

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Now that I think about it, Whiskey Rebellion came after the Constitution when George Washington was in office. He still crushed it though.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 pm 
Superstar Goalie

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Not to mention the argument fails to take into account the fact that many LGBT are minors and are incapable of moving.

Really? If that's true, then what have we been putting in the water the past 30-40 years to "make more gays"?

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Not to mention the argument fails to take into account the fact that many LGBT are minors and are incapable of moving.

Really? If that's true, then what have we been putting in the water the past 30-40 years to "make more gays"?

WTF does that mean? If it's a joke, I don't think it's funny. If not, you might want to realize that the percentage of gays hasn't changed. They just used to be too petrified to tell anyone.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 am 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
NYIntensity wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

WTF does that mean? If it's a joke, I don't think it's funny. If not, you might want to realize that the percentage of gays hasn't changed. They just used to be too petrified to tell anyone.

That's exactly the point I'm making. That statistically speaking, the number of LGBT minors is inconsequential, and bears no statistical significance.

That said, why does it seem like you get offended by everything?

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Got offended by that because I totally missed a pretty good joke that I would made myself there. I'm not sure why because it reads as obvious irony now. You put the quotes in there and everything. The 30-40 years thing confused me since we were talking about young people. Sorry for that one at the least if not other over-reactions.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 am 
Franchise Defenseman

And I didn't mean to be so negative in responding to your post about money spent on the Romney campaign NYI. I totally agree it's cool that billionaire idiots poured millions into that crappy candidate for nothing. I just wish that money was going more different places. But I apologize for that too.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:37 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
But our first two parties were the Federalists and the anti-Federalists. The Federalists (including people like Madison and Hamilton) won that battle. I don't think there's much disagreement with that. Yes, Jefferson and others stressed not granting too much power to the national government, but his side gave n way more than the Federalists.

So Madison and Hamilton would approve of what's going on now?
The TSA, the PATRIOT act and the ACA?

uh huh.

Let's step back for a moment and look at the big picture

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 am 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
And I didn't mean to be so negative in responding to your post about money spent on the Romney campaign NYI. I totally agree it's cool that billionaire idiots poured millions into that crappy candidate for nothing. I just wish that money was going more different places. But I apologize for that too.

At least we're on the same page - and no harm, no foul. I share the same sentiment...I wish money had gone to starving people or something else.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
But our first two parties were the Federalists and the anti-Federalists. The Federalists (including people like Madison and Hamilton) won that battle. I don't think there's much disagreement with that. Yes, Jefferson and others stressed not granting too much power to the national government, but his side gave n way more than the Federalists.

So Madison and Hamilton would approve of what's going on now?
The TSA, the PATRIOT act and the ACA?

uh huh.

Let's step back for a moment and look at the big picture

That's not what I meant to stress as much as that they were most definitely for a strong federal government. I don't know what they would have thought about say TSA or the Patriot Act. I think that's a little different because in those cases, we're more talking about individual rights than states' rights. I definitely think the founders wanted to balance individual freedom vs. strong government, but I'm not so sure they were as concerned with balancing state vs. federal power, where they wanted a stronger national government.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:25 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Oh shit...I found out why Obama didn't get my vote. I'm not in ANY of his targeted constituencies.
Damn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8