It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Stuuuuuuu
 Post subject: Politics on facebook
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I've had a few political debates on facebook of late. Maybe some of you saw or participated them. It has depressed me and kept me off of facebook in a way that political debates here usually have not. I think that's because I feel people there don't actually listen and take others' points into consideration while talking politics. I know we've had our share of mudslinging here on Sabresjunkie, but I do feel that you people (whom I don't really know and haven't met) listen to my points and arguments better than many relatives and "actual" friends. Again this depresses me.

What do you folks feel about the level of political debate on FB? Am I off-base? If not, why is it easier to talk to you all, under pseudonyms, than people we may know in "real life"? Thoughts?

PatGreen
 Post subject: Re: Politics on facebook
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm 
PP Quarterback

i don't think it's pseudonyms, it's more on how well people reason and argue.
we have a group of smart people who analyze well here. you and i have argued on facebook before and it was fine.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

After 2008 I try, but sometimes fail to completely avoid political discussions on FB.
It's not worth it most of the time.

We may have pseudonyms here but we've also been talking to each other and arguing with each other (sometimes over politics) for years and years.
That's a more substantial personal relationship than I have with 75% of my "friends" on facebook.

That and most people suck at the internet...and they gather on facebook.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I know we have a good group here, and that we've developed our relationships and political conversations over time. I'd say we don't just expect everyone to agree with our views here. We know if we post some stupid sweeping bullshit on here, we'll get called out on it. What I don't understand is why people on facebook don't expect the same things to some degree. Pat, we've disagreed on fb and it's been fine, but you don't expect everyone to agree with you and you are willing to reevaluate your opinions. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like many folks on fb are just bumper-stickering. My step-brother-in-law posted about how his taxes are going up because of Obamacare the other day for example. I mean, how do I even start? Is it worth my effort to point out that Obamacare is not funded by taxes? Probably not, but I feel some sort of responsibility to do so for some reason. I don't know why, nut it really bothers me.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:51 pm 
PP Quarterback

i think what you're getting is general population on facebook, here you're getting willing participants.

people say i like to argue, i think it's more i like to discuss things because that's how you learn. i want to know why how who what when, and if i discuss something with my viewpoint, i'm a fool if i don't know those things.

i just think very few people like to get that far into something. they decide if they like it or hate it at face value, and that's it. that's 99% of the population.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:
i think what you're getting is general population on facebook, here you're getting willing participants.

people say i like to argue, i think it's more i like to discuss things because that's how you learn. i want to know why how who what when, and if i discuss something with my viewpoint, i'm a fool if i don't know those things.

i just think very few people like to get that far into something. they decide if they like it or hate it at face value, and that's it. that's 99% of the population.

I think you're right, but I struggle with that. I'm an elitist, but I want to think better of people.