It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PuckSniperPensel
 Post subject: Re: Pominville
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 am 
Page Side

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Pommers did look back to see if someone was coming, but he didn't turn intentionally to draw the hit.

That still doesn't relieve Hjallmarsson of his responsibility not to hit from behind. If he takes one more stride towards the goal line, then comes over and hits him shoulder to shoulder, he only gets an interference penalty, and Pomminville probably isn't injured.

I tend to agree that he wouldnt turn his back to draw the hit...but, he did look at the guy a second before he was hit, how come he didnt protect himself?

Because he had to play the puck. When your back is turned, you aren't supposed to be hammered like that. I'm sure he knew a bump was coming, but didn't expect to get steam rolled.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:54 pm 
Superstar Goalie

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Pommers did look back to see if someone was coming, but he didn't turn intentionally to draw the hit.

That still doesn't relieve Hjallmarsson of his responsibility not to hit from behind. If he takes one more stride towards the goal line, then comes over and hits him shoulder to shoulder, he only gets an interference penalty, and Pomminville probably isn't injured.

I tend to agree that he wouldnt turn his back to draw the hit...but, he did look at the guy a second before he was hit, how come he didnt protect himself?

It looked like a case of just not expecting the guy to blast him like that. I think he expected contact, maybe get pressed up against the board for a battle but not laid fucking out from behind. that sounded bad.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Squanto wrote:

he might not have thought that Hjallmarsson was coming in for the hit. depending on when Pomminville looked Hjallmarsson might have been a long ways out (he skated across the rink to get him) or he thought that he would come in from the side or front in which case me might have braced for that hit and not one from behind.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:35 pm 
MegaDouche

Any news on the NHL handing down anything from that hit?

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:37 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Here's what Miller had to say about the hit, which is what I was echoing in the GDT when people were saying that it wasn't intentional:

"No matter badly Hjalmarsson feels, it’s still an illegal hit, it still put our guy out and it’s still suspendable in my mind," the Sabres' goaltender said today. "It absolutely needs to be punished. I don’t care if it’s unintentional. That’s what we need to get away from in hockey right now, the culture of it where, 'I was trying to make a play, therefore it’s not my fault.'

"A hockey hit is to separate a man from the puck, not anticipating the puck getting there, hitting him from behind and driving him into the boards. So you have two things right there: The puck wasn’t completely there, it was anticipation of it, there’s no separation and it’s a hit from behind.

"It’s completely something where I don’t know if enough was made of it because Jason is walking out with just stitches. What if Jason has a fractured neck? We don’t even know if it’s going to have an impact with concussion, so I just think no matter how badly Hjalmarsson feels, no matter if it’s unintentional, we have to change the culture of it if we’re ever going to change the situations we’re seeing, where guys are laying on the ice bleeding and missing time with concussions. It’s completely an unnecessary play.

"I’m glad he admitted to it and didn’t need to do it, but you’ve got to change the culture sometime, and I hope the league wakes up and sets a precedent for the year."

Hockey Night in Buffalo

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm 
Star Sniper

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
You know...I saw the replay on slow mo a few times, backed it up with the DVR...and, it really looked like Pomminville looked right at the guy who was skating at him, then looked left and down to get the puck, turning his back slightly towards the oncoming check, who then nailed him in the back. It REALLY looked like pominville saw this dude coming at him, I dont understand why he turned his back like that. Of course, no one wants to be hit like that, so maybe he didnt see the guy, but...check out the replay in super slow motion, you'll see what i'm talking about.

(dont get confused, I still think it's a dirty hit and would like what-his-face to be ball-branded for it.)

The crazy thing about NHL players is that they will OFTEN try and draw penalties by literally diving into the board after contact. It could be (I don't think so myself, but I'm not a mind reader) that Poms was thinking about embellishing the imminent contact in an effort to turn the momentum. But the part that makes those plays "crazy", is that you don't know exactly how hard you're going to be hit.

Kind of like when Orpik broke Cole's neck.

It is incumbent upon the players to protect themselves, by always expecting the worst. And it is incumbent upon the players to respect the rules of the game, and those that show disregard for well being of others, should be punished severely. Pomms might want to be able to pick up his kids someday, there's bigger things at stake here.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am 
Garbage Man

Is Pominville close to returning this week?

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 am 
resident car guy

Sabres.com wrote:
Jason Pominville exercised at HSBC Arena on Tuesday for the first time since suffering a concussion last Monday against Chicago when he was hit from behind by Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson. Pominville met with the media following his workout and said his condition has improved over the past week.

“I feel good, much better than I did the first few days,” Pominville said. “I was able to work out today for the first time. I rode the bike, got the heart rate up a bit, so it feels good right now and hopefully will feel good for the rest of the day.”

Pominville acknowledged that he did not see Hjalmarsson coming prior to the hit, which resulted in a five-minute boarding major, a game misconduct and a subsequent two-game suspension for Hjalmarsson. However, Pominville’s focus is on getting healthy and returning to the lineup.

“The puck wasn’t there and I never saw him, so it’s tough for me to take note of it. My back was turned. The League did what they thought was best by suspending him. There’s not much more I can say. I just want to do the best I can to get back on the ice as quick as possible.”

After appearing in 335 consecutive games dating back to 2006, the 27-year-old Pominville has been out for the last three contests. Neither Pominville nor Lindy Ruff have put a timetable on the forward’s return to the lineup.

“As long as the exercise goes well, he gets to progress,” Ruff said.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:01 am 
Garbage Man

No timetable for a return is a vague answer. I assume Pominville is day-to-day.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:31 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Sabretooth wrote:
No timetable for a return is a vague answer. I assume Pominville is day-to-day.

concussions are such a pain in the ass. You get your hopes up when a player starts working out and then their is (not always) a setback.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:19 pm 
Star Sniper

I'm guessing we don't see him on the ice until mid-November.

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 am 
Garbage Man

Seanothan27 wrote:
I'm guessing we don't see him on the ice until mid-November.

That would be longer than expected than all entities would prefer.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 pm 
Superstar Goalie

According to TBN, Pommer failed his testing today and will try again tomorrow. I didn't expect him back anytime before Saturday anyway, just as long as he comes back healthy.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy