It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Wow, I'm just seeing this hit now for the first time. I'd say ban from Jr's is in order, but now with the cops being involved, one can't rule out the possibility of charges at this point. I agree, I hope the league makes an example out of this punk. This is the kind of shit that needs to be gone from hockey and it ain't gonna happen fast enough.

This puke is a disgrace to our country, Hockey Canada and the game in general.

Hopefully the kid makes a speedy recovery.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

What a POS! Screw him.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 pm 
Captain Dynasty

heres my suspension:

he is suspended one calender year from today. he can return to the team one year from today. HOWEVER! **if tam has not returned to hockey by this point as a result of THIS INCIDENT, cormier hereby has all major junior eligibility waived. (i believe he is 20 next year anyways)**

criminal charges: aggravated assault charges, resulting in 30 days in jail, and 3 years probation, must reimburse all medical charges and salary loss charges as result of this play.

what do you guys think? too soft? too harsh?

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm thinking more along the lines of lifetime ban. The incident itself was quite harsh, combined with his history for such behaviors would lead me to believe that he'll be a repeat offender if allowed to continue to play.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

yeah that was pretty damn awful

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
heres my suspension:

he is suspended one calender year from today. he can return to the team one year from today. HOWEVER! **if tam has not returned to hockey by this point as a result of THIS INCIDENT, cormier hereby has all major junior eligibility waived. (i believe he is 20 next year anyways)**

criminal charges: aggravated assault charges, resulting in 30 days in jail, and 3 years probation, must reimburse all medical charges and salary loss charges as result of this play.

what do you guys think? too soft? too harsh?

Sounds perfect to me, I especially like the part about cormier not coming back if tam is still out. What a piece of trash.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I like your idea as well, Mike.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

im sort of appalled that domi's incident is eerily similar, and he got off light. domi had a reputation of a hard nosed enforcer, but not really a dirty player. i remember he cried after that he felt so bad... i actually like domi.

anyways, if he is banned for lifetime, squanto, wont uncle lou just sign him on his 20th birthday and ship him to albany? or he will play overseas?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:02 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I can see Uncle Lou pulling that stunt, given that he thinks that a lengthy suspension isn't necessary. Fuckin' a.

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 pm 
Garbage Man

what makes it even worse is that he has a history of dirty plays like that. that is not hockey, that is just sickening. Watching that....can't even describe..how anyone could even attempt to defend Cormier, i have no idea.
Any shot to the head is scary, but that was plain horrifying.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:58 pm 
Star Sniper

There is a persistent disconnect between those who run the NHL and junior leagues with the old time mentality of "eye for an eye" for lack of a better term, and the on ice product. At some point these old grumps have to realize that there is more speed and danger in the game today than when they played. The risk of long term serious injury is multiple times more than 15-20 years ago. I would venture to say that there is less mutual respect between players today also.

Colin Campbell and those in charge of the Q, WHL, etc...need to get on the same page and make a commitment to the long term safety of the players. Once strict rules are in place, and actually enforced with meaningful suspensions, players will learn the hard way right from the start what is respectable and acceptable. I don't see anything happening any time soon. For at least another decade current NHLers and Juniors will risk actual death before something worth a damn is done about it.

It will take an NHL death or several Junior deaths. I don't think it's a very bold prediction to say that within 10 years a player will die on the ice. In fact I think we as fans should be preparing ourselves for this. It's been a long time coming - aside from skate blade accidents - and the NHL is fairly lucky that it hasn't already happened.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm 
Mrs. Miller

I know this wasn't in the NHL, but I'm fucking sick of players throwing blatant hits to the head and NOTHING gets done about it. Not implementing discipline on these acts is the league's way of saying that it's OK for players to throw dangerous hits to the head and elbows. It's time to hand out severe disciplinary measures on dangerous hits. I guarentee you if players were suspended for a season or even kicked out of the league (if this hit happened the NHL I'd advocate that Cormier would never, ever see another second of NHL playing time again in his life), then I guarentee you there would be no more of these vicious intents to injure anymore.

I'm all for big hitting, rough and tumble hockey...but there is a serious line that has to be drawn before someone's life is taken because of some idiot scumbag who thinks it's okay to throw their elbows around at player's heads.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:52 pm 
Star Sniper

Disciplinary actions are negotiated into the CBA (NHL); are they not?

Players need to change their views, and actions. This is an issue that the players and owners need to get together on, and make a real effort to eliminate anyone even considering cheap shotting another player.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 pm 
Star Sniper

True Howie, but the players tried to put stiffer penalties/suspensions into the CBA but the owners balked.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:00 pm 
Page Side

That video was disturbing. Even if he does get back in the league, he's got his coming...

AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 pm 
Superstar Goalie

fly as hale wrote:

I'm all for big hitting, rough and tumble hockey...but there is a serious line that has to be drawn before someone's life is taken because of some idiot scumbag who thinks it's okay to throw their elbows around at player's heads.

Right there with ya, fly.

The league and players union are trying to find safer ways for fighters to fight with less chance of them belting their heads off the ice, should their buckets come off. Now, I will agree that it is a very important issue that should be addressed, however players receive more concussions, broken jaws/face, whiplash & cuts from these types of hits. One would assume that in any level of hockey (Jr. NHL, Semi pro etc..) that hits to the head as we've seen delivered by Cormier as well as others, would be top of the pecking order in terms of importance.

If it takes a death on the ice from a hit like this to make the powers above open their eyes to hand down stiff punnishments to try to get this bullshit under control, it'll be way too late as this isn't the first time a hit like this has been delivered and at this rate, unfortunately, it won't be the last. Put some rules in place NOW to prevent these hits from happening again in the future.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:09 am 
Superstar Goalie

(UPDATE 6:12 p.m.: The Quebec Major Junior League has announced that they've suspended Cormier indefinitely. The official length of the suspension will be determined once the disciplinary process is completed.)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc ... nhl,214200

TSN's report..

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=306706

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:01 am 
Star Sniper

AudSabres wrote:
(UPDATE 6:12 p.m.: The Quebec Major Junior League has announced that they've suspended Cormier indefinitely. The official length of the suspension will be determined once the disciplinary process is completed.)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc ... nhl,214200

TSN's report..

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=306706

I hope this fucker never gets the privilege of playing high-level organized hockey again. Three strikes and he's out. Beer league hockey, and a lifetime of reflection about how to behave in society should be the future for this lowlife douche.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:11 pm 
Superstar Goalie

He did look like he was on a mission when he left the bench for sure, Rob. To label him as a guided missile would be an understatement.

I honestly hope the RCMP dig into this one and find some kind of criminal intent. I don't know if there was a history of sorts between the two players. However, from the camera angle which I've seen, he clearly has every intention of leading off with his elbow. For Capt. Lou to ask him how he felt, to me is total and utter bullshit. I'd show a little more concern for Tam. It is he, who now has a swollen brain, has lost a mouthful of teeth and damn near died from this incident. Why? Because this fuckwad had to go head hunting. News flash for Cormier; you were already drafted by an NHL team. There was no need to do something as such to gain notoriety.

Again, I’m all for solid hits where the guy is taken out clean. There is nothing wrong with playing a tough game. But this is the kind of garbage that is ruining this game and needs to be addressed last week for fuck sakes.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:35 pm 
Superstar Goalie

"CORMIER SUSPENDED FOR BALANCE OF QMJHL SEASON AND PLAYOFFS"

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

You've gotta be shittin me. The punk needs to be gone from hockey, completely, IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next