It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:27 pm 
Garbage Man

Red tape delayed Zach McKelvie's chance to be on the blue line this season. And now, his dream of playing professional hockey is all but dead.

"I was a bit of an underdog to begin with," McKelvie told FanHouse. "I'm really looking at an uphill battle now."

McKelvie is a 24-year-old West Point graduate who was originally given the green light by his superiors with the United States Army last summer to sign a one-year contract with the Boston Bruins. He believed he went through the process respectfully, adhering to military policy every step of the way. However, just as McKelvie was to begin his pro career in October -- likely with the Bruins' top minor league affiliate in Providence -- West Point offficials told him they needed time to "re-evaluate" their decision.

Read the Full Story:

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/28/u-s-army-denies-west-point-grad-zach-mckelvies-nhl-dream/

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:41 pm 
Page Side

I'd probably request Boston to trade me to a Canadian team, and move up there.

That fucking sucks. :(

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I believe there are service-specific guidelines to those "once in a lifetime" opportunities; I don't know if a job qualifies, but I do know that if someone wins the lotto or gets a large inheritance, it usually behooves the service to administratively separate them.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

If you value your independence and freedom, don't sign those rights away for a free education.

Most people graduating from a military academy owe the US government 4 years after graduation.
Zach knew this.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm 
Captain Clutch

if you think you may have a promising career in professional sports, you don't sign with the military...

case in point http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/07/army_calebcampbell_072308w/

Quote:
The announcement follows a policy signed July 11 by Army Secretary Pete Geren that changed the Army’s policy regarding officers who are given the opportunity to play in professional sports.

The policy requires officers to serve at least two years on active duty before they are allowed to request an early release from their military service obligation. It also calls for Campbell and three other officers who are engaged in professional sports to report to training and then to a unit.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm 
Garbage Man

Crosscheck wrote:
If you value your independence and freedom, don't sign those rights away for a free education.

Most people graduating from a military academy owe the US government 4 years after graduation.
Zach knew this.

I understand this, but thats not what angered me about the article. They've done this (released athletes in special situations) in the past and ALSO allowed him out essentially, and then went back on their word. The Army is supposed to value honor quite highly last time I checked and this seems to be near dishonorable.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:39 pm 
Captain Clutch

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

Zach knew this.

I understand this, but thats not what angered me about the article. They've done this (released athletes in special situations) in the past and ALSO allowed him out essentially, and then went back on their word. The Army is supposed to value honor quite highly last time I checked and this seems to be near dishonorable.

I posted that in 2008 they changed a policy that requires any grad who plans on seeking a professional career will have to do 2 years first, then it will be re-evaluated. Royally screwed the guy who signed with the lions.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Last edited by sabresindc on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:39 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'd agree with that.

If he was told ahead of time that it would be OK, and he followed all the rules, it does bother me that they're reneging on the promise.

I know that's how the military works, but it shouldn't.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 pm 
Captain Clutch

definitely a bullshit move by the military but they have been know to do one thing and then decided to do the opposite....just because they can.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:

The army didn't go back on their word unless he's holding a signed agreement from them that says they would release him.

Because the army *does* have a signed agreement from him to fulfill his obligations post graduation.
2 wars going on, they need officers.

Don't sign a contract then complain about fulfilling it.
Period.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:18 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

All he has to do is say he's gay and he'll be discharged, because we can't have the gays around you know.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Quote:
All he has to do is say he's gay and he'll be discharged, because we can't have the gays around you know.

You forgot to say, "Not that there's anything wrong with it", Squanto :lol: j/k

But yeah man, that does suck. I've heard of this thing back in the 80's with players coming over from the U.S.S.R. to play in north America and defecting, but never before of the service over here. Of course, I'm not up to par with the rules and guidelines for joining the military either...

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Last edited by AudSabres on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SchonyGal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

sabresindc wrote:
do one thing and then decided to do the opposite....just because they can.

They own your ass, plain and simple. I was never so stressed out in my life as when my son was in boot Camp, AIT, and then waiting for word on where he'd be stationed. The story changed day to day until I learned that's just how it is.

Being a Military Mom has taught me a LOT & kept my prescription for Xanax refilled on a monthly basis ;)

Interesting article and scenario though.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Here's my perspective on it. This kid is 24 years old, he's got a degree from one of the finest colleges in the world, and chances are he would never play a game in the NHL anyway.

He signed on, knowing full well that he'd be called upon by the military. It's not like when they issue you a waiver to go pursue a professional career, you owe nothing for 4 years of free, IVY LEAGUE quality education. You are put into the reserves, and are on call for active duty at all times, over the duration of the owed years of service. This is one of those circumstances where he's going to be called to active duty.

It rarely happens, but depending on his field of study (ie communication, or foreign affairs) he could be considered a valuable asset, and a must needed deployment soldier.

Albeit it is unfortunate he won't be able to pursue his dreams, he'll still be a successful person in life, given his education, and experience he'll be gaining.

Squanto 7/27/2010