It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:00 pm 
Power Forward

It seems to be getting worse and worse with younger players, unless these incidents just weren't getting publicity in the past - I blame Al Gore and his Internet!!

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 pm 
Hart Winner

Some hockey players are acting like football players.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm 
Star Sniper

Think the teens don't notice the NHL's wrist slapping policy on predatory blows to the head? This shit never happened until Bettman and friends decided head hunting was just part of the game, but fighting was taboo.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:08 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Quote:
Hoekstra ended up in hospital for emergency surgery, where doctors removed part of his bowel.

:shock: Sweet jesus fuck! Where the hell are these kids learning this shit? Where has minor hockey gone wrong? This kind of bullshit never went on when I was that age for god sakes!

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

patkane88
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:35 am 
Captain Clutch

If this was done in the CHL it would be all over the place but it wasn't it was done in tier two hockey and it was never brought to the canadian media.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 am 
Franchise Defenseman

What. The. Hell. I would have beat that kids ass if I saw him spear my team mate in the gut. no joke. And you could bet I'd use my stick on the bitch too. (to? two?)

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:53 pm 
Garbage Man

AudSabres wrote:
Quote:
Hoekstra ended up in hospital for emergency surgery, where doctors removed part of his bowel.

:shock: Sweet jesus fuck! Where the hell are these kids learning this shit? Where has minor hockey gone wrong? This kind of bullshit never went on when I was that age for god sakes!

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Have you ever heard anybody's stories from playing minor hockey in the 70's and 80's. Minor hockey back then was fucking war.

Eh

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:49 pm 
Superstar Goalie

sabresEH wrote:
AudSabres wrote:
Quote:

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Have you ever heard anybody's stories from playing minor hockey in the 70's and 80's. Minor hockey back then was fucking war.

That may have been the case in the 70's and 80's, but when I was a teen in the early - mid 90's this kind of shit never went on at the rinks. The only time there were brawls of sorts was during Jr. A games. Pretty much on par with the QMJHL/CHL age range. And you never seen this kind of garbage hockey. Kids that are 13-17 doing this kind of crap was unheard of.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:05 pm 
Star Sniper

The old NAHL would make some of you cry. The Buffalo Norsemen, The Beauce Jaros, Philidelphia Firebirds, Johnstown Jets, Mohawk Valley Stars, Cape Cod, and a couple other I don't remember.

Slapshot was based on this league. I saw a pre game brawl in Buffalo (old Tonawanda Twin Rinks) where Buffalo and Beauce brawled before the officials got on the ice; just like in slapshot, except this happened first. Beauce wanted to get at Buffalo's Greg Neeld, who had a glass eye, and wore a full face shield because of this. Well he was a chirpy fellow, and didn't wear his helmet in warm ups....

Also, having played up in Canada as a youth, it could get very nasty. You wouldn't know they were our "Neighbors To The North" based on the abuse we had heaped on us on the ice, and from the stands. The stuff in this thread DID happen in the seventies; I was there.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Howie Hodge wrote:
The old NAHL would make some of you cry. The Buffalo Norsemen, The Beauce Jaros, Philidelphia Firebirds, Johnstown Jets, Mohawk Valley Stars, Cape Cod, and a couple other I don't remember.

Slapshot was based on this league. I saw a pre game brawl in Buffalo (old Tonawanda Twin Rinks) where Buffalo and Beauce brawled before the officials got on the ice; just like in slapshot, except this happened first. Beauce wanted to get at Buffalo's Greg Neeld, who had a glass eye, and wore a full face shield because of this. Well he was a chirpy fellow, and didn't wear his helmet in warm ups....

Also, having played up in Canada as a youth, it could get very nasty. You wouldn't know they were our "Neighbors To The North" based on the abuse we had heaped on us on the ice, and from the stands. The stuff in this thread DID happen in the seventies; I was there.

yeah, slapshot was based on many stories of ned dowd (who played ogie oglethorpe) who played with the jets. of course, the hanson brothers are real, however, one couldnt be used in the movie, because he was in the NHL at the time, so they brought in carlson. or the other way around. anyways:

"A scene in the film shows the Hanson brothers jumping the Peterboro Patriots during pre-game warm-ups. This scene is based on events in a mid-1970s North American Hockey League playoff series between the Johnstown Jets and the Buffalo Norsemen.[5] The Jets had a black player on their roster, and during a playoff game held in North Tonawanda, New York (a northern suburb of Buffalo where the Norsemen played their home games) a Norsemen fan held up a derogatory sign stating that blacks should be playing basketball. The next game in the series was held in Johnstown, and the Jets retaliated by attacking the Norsemen players during the warm-ups, with a huge brawl erupting. The Norsemen players and coaches then returned to the dressing room and refused to come out to start the game. The game was awarded to the Jets by forfeit, as was the playoff series since the "win" gave the Jets the needed number of victories to capture the series.[5] In an ironic twist of fate, in 1978 the NHL's Buffalo Sabres drafted a black player, Tony McKegney, who became the first black player to make a major impact in the NHL. McKegney played his Buffalo Sabres home games in front of many of the same fans who had attended Buffalo Norsemen games.

Another scene from the movie is also based on a real life event. In the film, Jeff Hanson scores a goal and is hit in the face by a set of keys thrown by a fan. The Hansons then go into the stands after the fan and Jeff Hanson punches out the wrong fan. After the game, the Hansons are arrested for the incident. In real life, a similar incident occurred in Utica, New York in a game between the Johnstown Jets and the Mohawk Valley Comets.[5] Jeff Carlson was hit in the face by a cup of ice thrown by a Utica fan and he went into the stands after the fan with his brothers Jack and Steve. All three were arrested and Dave Hanson gathered the money for bail for the Carlson brothers."

patkane88
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 am 
Captain Clutch

BlueandYellow wrote:

Don't you mean basketball players? ;) :lol:

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

sabresEH
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:54 am 
Garbage Man

AudSabres wrote:
sabresEH wrote:
AudSabres wrote:
Quote:

That may have been the case in the 70's and 80's, but when I was a teen in the early - mid 90's this kind of shit never went on at the rinks. The only time there were brawls of sorts was during Jr. A games. Pretty much on par with the QMJHL/CHL age range. And you never seen this kind of garbage hockey. Kids that are 13-17 doing this kind of crap was unheard of.

Yeah mid 90's it started to slow down. But I still saw some nice minor hockey brawls. Mainly the midget players but even they should be brawling.

Eh

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm 
Power Forward

patkane88 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

Don't you mean basketball players? ;) :lol:

That's what i was gonna say....just add revolver - and instant basketball player ;)

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games