It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Nuthatch
 Post subject: Stupid hockey question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:41 pm 
Penalty Killer

If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it...
(but no laughing)

I have to wonder about the hockey helmets. Perhaps some of you players can chime in? Why are the straps so loose? Why are they not chin straps such as in football? That would certainly keep them on their heads better. That way if a guy crashes to the ice at least his noggin should be okay, right?

And if it's strictly a comfort thing then I exercise my female prerogative to roll my eyes and snort "Men." ;)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:15 pm 
Captain Dynasty

comfort.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:24 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I wear a full cage, and have my helmet tightened down appropriately. I don't get paid to play, I'm sure as hell protecting myself.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:27 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i keep my goalie mask on so loose, it has fallen off before. also, when i play forward, my helmet is way to small for my dome, with no visor or cage, so it pretty much just sits there. i took a clear off the glass to the forehead last season, and i was so disoriented, i went to the wrong bench.

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:32 pm 
Power Forward

good question...i would say for comfort...and they probably think they look cool with a loose strap too

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Yeah I'd say it's for comfort...maybe it just stems back to when the players first started wearing them, and they just weren't used to the feeling of the helmets, so they always wore the straps loose.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 pm 
Garbage Man

Another stupid hockey question:

When a player breaks a stick in his own zone, wouldn't it be better to take five seconds and skate to the bench and get another one rather than to hang around in front of the net unable to make a play? It seems they could call out a signal that would allow the rest of the team to go into shorthanded mode for a few second rather than standing around as a screen on the goalie.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 pm 
Cup Winner

My helmet I bought is tight enough on my head where I don't need to have my chin strap as tight to hold it on.

But I've yet to play a game so I'm not sure if it would come off easily or not, and it seems like it wouldn't fall off since it is adjusted to my head anyways.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Godzilla1960 wrote:

When a player breaks a stick in his own zone, wouldn't it be better to take five seconds and skate to the bench and get another one rather than to hang around in front of the net unable to make a play? It seems they could call out a signal that would allow the rest of the team to go into shorthanded mode for a few second rather than standing around as a screen on the goalie.

F**king THANK you.

Right? How does it help anyone that you're occupying 3 square feet of ice, not moving, not taking anyones body out, just occupying a shooting lane. HOW is that better than 5 seconds of 5 on 4? MADNESS!!!!

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 pm 
Cup Winner

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:

F**king THANK you.

Right? How does it help anyone that you're occupying 3 square feet of ice, not moving, not taking anyones body out, just occupying a shooting lane. HOW is that better than 5 seconds of 5 on 4? MADNESS!!!!

Madness? THIS... IS... SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

1crozier1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:08 am 
Late-Round Gem

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:

F**king THANK you.

How does it help, you ask?

Very simple.

Once that player leaves to go to the bench for a stick, that's 3 square feet of UNOCCUPIED ice -- unoccupied ice that an opponent will skate into, receive a pass, and shoot on goal . . .

-- forward Derek Roy, following the Sabres' 2-1 OT win over the Atlanta Thrashers on Jan. 14, 2010, a game where the home team drew just over 11,000 fans {the ninth time in 22 home games they failed to draw 12,000}

sabresEH
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:12 am 
Garbage Man

Not only would it get itchy but I'm sure a rash could develop after 82+ games of wearing a helmet like that.

Eh

jordano
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 am 
Two-Way Center

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i keep my goalie mask on so loose, it has fallen off before. also, when i play forward, my helmet is way to small for my dome, with no visor or cage, so it pretty much just sits there. i took a clear off the glass to the forehead last season, and i was so disoriented, i went to the wrong bench.

What goalie gear do you have?

#1 Hockey Nation.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

1crozier1 wrote:
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:

F**king THANK you.

How does it help, you ask?

Very simple.

Once that player leaves to go to the bench for a stick, that's 3 square feet of UNOCCUPIED ice -- unoccupied ice that an opponent will skate into, receive a pass, and shoot on goal . . .

Well, seeing as how the guy with the puck can skate RIGHT UP TO the stickless defender, without worry about being upset in any way, can pass the puck right beside him or through his feet no problem, and can get off a shot without one of our liverlillied yellowbellies trying very hard to block it, I say the guy is better off going to get a stick.

Besides, we're what, 3rd in the NHL on the PK? I highly doubt because we leave one spot open for a couple seconds that the other team is immediately going to be able to exploit it for a scoring chance. And 5 seconds of 5 on 4 seems a lot better than 30 seconds of 5 on 4.5, at least to me.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 pm 
Captain Dynasty

My helmet is pretty loose. I don't wear a cage or visor either.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm 
Cup Winner

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
My helmet is pretty loose. I don't wear a cage or visor either.

I don't like how constrictive the view is with a cage, so when I start to play I'm most likely getting a visor.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:26 pm 
Captain Dynasty

cages dont bug me, i must be used to being a goalie.

sabretime30
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 am 
Brawler

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:

F**king THANK you.

Why not just do a man for man switch if you're in the period where the bench is closer to your defending zone? This takes away the hassle of grabbing the stick so in other words it's a one for one line/player change. Yes it risks too many men on the ice if not completed properly but professionals should be able to handle that.

On a side note, going to the bench and grabbing a new piece of lumber can also deploy a spring pass if the offensive team turns the puck over. Think of it, that player who went to retrieve a new stick is behind the defense. That or the defense would be aware of that spring pass and one would play more towards center ice resulting in just a 4 on 4 scenario.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 am 
Star Sniper

Squanto wrote:
I wear a full cage, and have my helmet tightened down appropriately. I don't get paid to play, I'm sure as hell protecting myself.

Yup, my grill is gonna stay intact insomuchas it secures my nookie.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:45 pm 
Captain Dynasty

daz28 wrote:
Squanto wrote:

Yup, my grill is gonna stay intact insomuchas it secures my nookie.

need me to pick up some panty hose at the store for you two ladies too?

BOOSH!