It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

patkane88 wrote:
Kassian might be facing suspension for hitting a guy shoulder to chest.

He was given a match penalty, so that comes with an automatic 1 game suspension. Team Canada will appeal, and I'd have to say if he did hit him in the chest they wouldn't tack on that penalty.

EDIT: I didn't see the play, but there's plenty of reports that say Kassian caught him on the jaw. Can anyone who saw it lend some insight?

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:20 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Squanto wrote:
patkane88 wrote:
Kassian might be facing suspension for hitting a guy shoulder to chest.

He was given a match penalty, so that comes with an automatic 1 game suspension. Team Canada will appeal, and I'd have to say if he did hit him in the chest they wouldn't tack on that penalty.

EDIT: I didn't see the play, but there's plenty of reports that say Kassian caught him on the jaw. Can anyone who saw it lend some insight?

I saw the play, and it wasn't a direct blow to the head, or even a deflecting blow to the head, the issue is the IIHF rules read that any hit that causes trauma to the head, is considered a hit to the head.

This includes hits where a players head violently smashes off the ice.

I think thats where the penalty comes from, and in which case, it could indeed be considered a hit that causes trauma to the head...IIHF goes above and beyond to protect their players, especially from head shots.

Also the IIHF views the neck to be part of the head. so basically anything above the collar bone is off limits.

Squanto 7/27/2010

fan4life61
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:52 pm 
PP Quarterback

here's the play and article

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey ... key-301223

"on the ice now for buffalo, looking for the pass, and gets it, afinogenov, couldnt get the shot away, now HE DOES, HE SCORES!!!! HOLY MACKEREL ROLE THE HIGH LIGHT FILM, MAXIM AFINOGENOV, WHAT A MOVE!!!!.... thats not fair... that was unbelievable"
-R.J. and Lorenz

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:00 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I hate to admit that I agree with Pierre on this one, but just an unfortunate hit. The officials didn't have much choice to call what they did per IIHF rules.

I'd guess they rescind the match penalty after looking at the tape, but who knows.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I don't like the hit. The guy didn't even have the puck and Kassian leveled him anyways. Legal or not, you can't fix stupid.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 pm 
Star Sniper

I was really hoping Kassian would no better by now...

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:45 pm 
Hart Winner

Wow. At the Sweden vs. Russia game, some Canadian fans were there chanting Canada. Okay. Not a problem. The announcer says Canada winning 7-2. Great. Nobody booing, everyone cheering. But when USA is leading 3-0, they all decide to boo and curse USA. Every single one of the Canadians there.There were a lot of USA fans, too.

Last edited by BlueandYellow on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 pm 
Hart Winner

And that Kassian hit was DIRTY, DIRTY, DIRTY. Announcers are stupid. The dude was hit in the chin and his head snapped back. No puck, either. You see the elbow come up too.

Los9090
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:55 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Van_Da_Man wrote:
I don't like the hit. The guy didn't even have the puck and Kassian leveled him anyways. Legal or not, you can't fix stupid.

That's the first thing I saw, Senkerik did not even have the puck when he got hit. Yikes

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:00 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

BlueandYellow wrote:
And that Kassian hit was DIRTY, DIRTY, DIRTY. Announcers are stupid. The dude was hit in the chin and his head snapped back. No puck, either. You see the elbow come up too.

And this is why I don't bother discussion headshots in depth around here anymore. Kassian's arm was down at his side throughout the action of the hit. The arm raises up slightly after the hit is complete and the two separate, but at no time is the elbow ever raised up to make contact. EVER.

The hit was slightly late, and it looks like Kassian did catch him high chest/jaw. However, he wasn't headhunting, not at all. That was just a function of height. He needs to not hit a guy late, that's all.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 am 
Hart Winner

Squanto wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

And this is why I don't bother discussion headshots in depth around here anymore. Kassian's arm was down at his side throughout the action of the hit. The arm raises up slightly after the hit is complete and the two separate, but at no time is the elbow ever raised up to make contact. EVER.

The hit was slightly late, and it looks like Kassian did catch him high chest/jaw. However, he wasn't headhunting, not at all. That was just a function of height. He needs to not hit a guy late, that's all.

What do you think hit the guy in the chin and obliterated his head?

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:10 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Kassian's shoulder contacted partly in the chest, and partly the chin. Because there was some chin contact there, and the angles they hit, the head whipped around. Kassian's arm was tight with his body when contact was made, only raising up after he disengaged.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:15 am 
Hart Winner

I honestly can't tell and give a 100% answer, but I think I'm seeing the elbow come up. Either way, you just don't make that hit.

Los9090
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am 
Superstar Goalie

Well, how about Kyle Palmieri's performance?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:23 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Palmer was awesome. What WASN'T awesome was the Slovaks headhunting late, dishing out two disgusting hits to the head. How Kassian got immediately tossed for a clean albeit late hit while these pussies got to finish the game is beyond me.

patkane88
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:35 am 
Captain Clutch

I can see people say it being a late hit but there is no hit to the head at all. And that is all I am going to say because some people on here like to go in circles and argue.

Anyways I really am staring to love this Folingo, especially when he was slashed by the douchebag goalie, then on the pp he stands right back in front of the net and when the goal goes in he basically yells right in his face.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:12 am 
Captain Clutch

mechaphil wrote:
Palmer was awesome. What WASN'T awesome was the Slovaks headhunting late, dishing out two disgusting hits to the head. How Kassian got immediately tossed for a clean albeit late hit while these pussies got to finish the game is beyond me.

Because Kassian is a marked player already. I agree with everyone here who thought it was a clean (late) hit. If there was any sort of chin contact it was ever so slightly. The force of the hit cause the kids' head to wipe back and the fall to the ice probably cause more issues that the hit. I hope Canada does appeal because that BS to suspend Kassian for it.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:29 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Bob McKenzie said yesterday that Team Canada isn't appealing the suspension.

In the context of IIHF rules, the call was correct.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 am 
Captain Clutch

Squanto wrote:

I guess they saw this and then made the decision not to appeal. I guess he did made a little incidental contact with the head.

Attachments:
ept_sports_nhl_experts-34627469-1293634135.jpg
ept_sports_nhl_experts-34627469-1293634135.jpg [ 11.1 KiB | Viewed 3946 times ]

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

patkane88
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 am 
Captain Clutch

sabresindc wrote:
Squanto wrote:

I guess they saw this and then made the decision not to appeal. I guess he did made a little incidental contact with the head.

And NO elbow at all from that picture, if people think that is an elbow they need to look harder.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next