It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
AudSabres
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 pm 
Offline
Superstar Goalie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm
Posts: 4998
Location: In your head, producing very weird thoughts.
jvaccaro6 wrote:
One, you're kidding yourself if you don't think Gibson was awesome in that game. He had 8 or 9 goal scoring chances on him and stopped most of them.

Two, USA's defense humiliated Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in that game. And if you say anything different, you're again being a homer.

Why the USA won that game, they were the better team throughout the game.

They are playing for gold for a reason, and with the effort they put forth, they would have won that game 9 out of 10 times. That's a fact. They play a system, rather than playing to the strength of a few players. Also, McKinnon also proved that just because you're from the same town as Crosby, doesn't mean you are as skilled as Crosby.

The game was loosely officiated at best, but it was a great display of North American Hockey.

Also Binnington was brilliant in the second half of that game, but it didn't change the outcome. Subban did his best, but he was just outclassed by a better, stronger, and more talented American team.


I don't think anything else needs or could be added to explain how good this USA team really was. Very well said, Jay. And this is the reason why they are WJ Champions. Congrats, Team USA!!!

Now, for my take on Team Canada:

Since the beginning of this WJC, I didn't have much faith in the Canadian squad. It just seemed to me they were playing for the name on the back of their jerseys and not the logo on the front. Sure, they made it to the final 4, but when you look at the individual play over the team play, these guys just never came together. Blame coaching, the players, egos, who knows. Stupid penalties when playing with a small lead just showed laziness to work harder to stay or get into the play. Retaliatory penalties proved what many said in the preliminary games that this team was just undisciplined. It all showed and the reason why they played for Bronze this morning is all right there. Sure, the bronze game was a good game (from what I heard) but the effort was a little too late.

As a Canadian, I'm honestly proud of Team USA for representing themselves as well as the North American game and they played it the way hockey was meant to be played; with heart, pride and determination. That gold medal game today is how you play to win. Never expect that just because your country has a rich history in the game, that you are entitled to anything. I've said this for a while, as a proud Canadian, it hasn't ONLY been our game for a long time; since at least 1972, maybe before then. Some people spoke of the USA not having many/any super stars on their team. You don't need to have star players or top prospects to win the game if you play for each other instead of yourself. Need proof of this? We saw it at center ice after the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.

I was told today by a homer who I play hockey with to hand in my Team Canada jersey and citizenship because of how critical I was of the way our kids played. I guess being honest can earn you deportation. Anyone in the US want to adopt a friendly Canuck that isn't afraid to call a spade, a spade? :P

_________________
If it's a tight squeeze, spit on it! - NyI

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy


Top
 Profile  
 
ksquier89
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:24 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 pm
Posts: 1687
Location: Harford County, Maryland
I will adopt you.

USA played a solid all around game. There were not very many mistakes and they played solid as a whole. Sweden played one hell of a game and if it was not for stellar goalkeeping and a stout defense it would have been a blowout. Defense gave up perimeter shots and kept everthing, for the most part, at least 10-15 feet away, and kept the goalies vision on the shooting lanes open. The defense was brutal and pressed the players and did not let them set much of anything up offensively. Our forwards seemed a bit small but played with a shitload of heart. Very proud of our boys.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
jvaccaro6 wrote:
One, you're kidding yourself if you don't think Gibson was awesome in that game. He had 8 or 9 goal scoring chances on him and stopped most of them.

Two, USA's defense humiliated Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in that game. And if you say anything different, you're again being a homer.

Why the USA won that game, they were the better team throughout the game.

They are playing for gold for a reason, and with the effort they put forth, they would have won that game 9 out of 10 times. That's a fact. They play a system, rather than playing to the strength of a few players. Also, McKinnon also proved that just because you're from the same town as Crosby, doesn't mean you are as skilled as Crosby.

The game was loosely officiated at best, but it was a great display of North American Hockey.

Also Binnington was brilliant in the second half of that game, but it didn't change the outcome. Subban did his best, but he was just outclassed by a better, stronger, and more talented American team.


I never said Gibson didn't play awesome, I just said it wasn't so much as him as it was that team Canada just didn't show up to play that game at all. Yeah, Canada had a few scoring chances, but you're absolutely right. RNH was dreadful and I didn't hear a lot from Nathan McKinnon in this tournament.

Canada made a mistake by taking their most skilled players and putting them all on one roster. The US was smart, taking physical guys like JT Miller, along with their scorers, like Johnny Gaudreau, and their great d-men, including Jake McCabe and Seth Jones (who I thought was overhyped, but turned it around eventually). The US was the most complete team in this tournament, but the thing that impressed me the most with them was how quickly they turned it around and clicked with each other.

All-in-all, just an awesome tournament, in general. Best of all, Canada didn't medal. Serves those self-righteous assholes (most of their fans, at least) right.

Edit to AudSabres after reading his post: Upon reading you were Canadian, you're one of the few (on the Internet at least, because Twitter is full of dumbasses) that can actually respect the American brand of hockey. I'm sick of the Canadian argument: It's our game! The CHL developed your talent. That's bullshit. Most of the US's impact players were all part of NCAA hockey, which is finally developing a fine reputation as a place to develop talent of all nations. Don Cherry's argument that the CHL should only be open to Canadian players is a load of crap, and ruins the spirit of why leagues like the CHL and organizations like the NCAA exist: to develop talent from all around the world. The USA and Canada are both nations of immigrants, from when the land was discovered to now, both nations should be accepting of all people, races, etc.

/rant

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:07 pm 
Offline
Hart Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 9770
Location: Buffalo, NY
I don't think Canada did *bad* I just think the USA was the better team. Period.

_________________
"Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone!" ~ Michael Poulsen, Volbeat, Still Standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
BlueandYellow wrote:
I don't think Canada did *bad* I just think the USA was the better team. Period.


Sorry, I never meant to downplay USA's performance. Ever since losing in RR to Canada, they were on fire. Still, Canada made some really dumb decisions in the semis.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 pm 
Offline
Hart Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 9770
Location: Buffalo, NY
I don't think you're downplaying USA's performance, I just think you're being harsh on Canada. Other countries can compete now. Sweden, USA, and Russia are just as good possibly as Canada.

_________________
"Counting all the assholes in the room, I'm definitely not alone!" ~ Michael Poulsen, Volbeat, Still Standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
AudSabres
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 pm 
Offline
Superstar Goalie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm
Posts: 4998
Location: In your head, producing very weird thoughts.
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Edit to AudSabres after reading his post: Upon reading you were Canadian, you're one of the few (on the Internet at least, because Twitter is full of dumbasses) that can actually respect the American brand of hockey. I'm sick of the Canadian argument: It's our game! The CHL developed your talent. That's bullshit. Most of the US's impact players were all part of NCAA hockey, which is finally developing a fine reputation as a place to develop talent of all nations. Don Cherry's argument that the CHL should only be open to Canadian players is a load of crap, and ruins the spirit of why leagues like the CHL and organizations like the NCAA exist: to develop talent from all around the world. The USA and Canada are both nations of immigrants, from when the land was discovered to now, both nations should be accepting of all people, races, etc. /rant


Patriotic when it comes to my country, when they need to be called out and exposed for what they are, I'm not going to pull any punches. It's the idiotic fans you speak of that make me ashamed sometimes to be Canadian. Basically, I call a spade a spade. Besides, when it comes down to being a homer for either my country or the Sabres, I wear the blue & gold on my sleeve (Really, I have our word mark logo tattooed on my left forearm). I'd go to hell and back to defend the Sabres, haha. Anyone who calls themselves a fan of hockey doesn't need to have it explained to them as to why the US deserved to win the gold. They played the game hard, clean and determined to make themselves and their country proud. As I said many times already, they played the game the way it was meant to be played, and did so pretty much perfectly. How can you NOT appreciate their effort?!

As for Grapes, Phil made a good point when he made that statement about US players or Euro players in the CHL. I mentioned how little grapes forgets that Myers was part of Team Canada's last gold medal in 2009. To which Phil pointed out that grapes usually forgets he's wearing underpants most times, so that should pretty much void any opinion he has to offer when it comes to who should be allowed to play in the CHL or not, :P

_________________
If it's a tight squeeze, spit on it! - NyI

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy


Top
 Profile  
 
Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 1998
Location: Buffalo
BlueandYellow wrote:
I don't think you're downplaying USA's performance, I just think you're being harsh on Canada. Other countries can compete now. Sweden, USA, and Russia are just as good possibly as Canada.


I understand that. I just don't think Canada had much effort. They seemed afraid to get dirty, which is what led to their downfall.

_________________
Girgensons for captain. Team Keep Nick DesLauriers forever.

@TJLuckman550


Top
 Profile  
 
Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:35 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Posts: 2876
Location: Portland, Oregano
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Don Cherry's argument that the CHL should only be open to Canadian players is a load of crap, and ruins the spirit of why leagues like the CHL and organizations like the NCAA exist: to develop talent from all around the world. The USA and Canada are both nations of immigrants, from when the land was discovered to now, both nations should be accepting of all people, races, etc.

/rant

Here, here.

BTW, I'm already ducking, but Don Cherry is a nationalist blowhard idiot. The fact that he is so revered by Canadians and hockey fans n general blows my mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Posts: 2876
Location: Portland, Oregano
I've seen Jones play 3 games in person so far. Sometimes, you almost have to tell yourself "OK, Jones is on the ice, I better keep my eyes on him", because he doesn't stick out as much as you'd think. Then you remember he's a defenseman, and he should be making simple plays, which he usually does quite effectively.

But when he does make a special play, it can be something. That redirection pass he made on the powerplay between his legs to the other pointman (against Slovakia I think) was one of the best passes I've ever seen at any level of hockey. And to think it came from an 18 year-old playing defense...all I can say is I think Jones already understands the game at a level most of us could never dream of. I think he lives up to the hype when you watch him over time and that the sky's the limit for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron