It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:42 pm 
Star Sniper

Courtesy of CBC.ca:

OHL player gets season ban for hit

"The Ontario Hockey League has reacted strongly to a hit that put a Kitchener Rangers defenceman in critical condition, suspending Michael Liambas of the Erie Otters for the remainder of the season.

Ben Fanelli, who is now listed in serious condition, suffered skull and facial fractures after he was hit into the boards during the Oct. 24 game.

Fanelli's helmet broke and flew off, and his head appeared to strike the metal partition framing the glass at the Zamboni entrance.

"Players must understand they shall be held accountable for their actions," OHL commissioner David Branch said in a statement. "We must all work towards improving the level of respect players have towards opposing players and the game in general."

Pretty harsh - But, a very strong message delivered to all Junior players in North America.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:10 pm 
Star Sniper

A little easier to suspend players when you're not dealing with a player's union...

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:50 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

rbochan wrote:
OHL commissioner David Branch, please get yer ass to the NHL!

QFT

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:45 am 
Power Forward

Video?

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:22 am 
Star Sniper

Maybe now they'll start cutting down on the fucking ridiculous space age suits of armor these players are wearing? The kid that delivered the hit had more plastic on his body than a fullback.

Fanelli is only 16 yo...really hope he'll be ok.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

patkane88
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:49 pm 
Captain Clutch

Liambas is the biggest douchebag in the OHL.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

patkane88
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:55 pm 
Captain Clutch

rbochan wrote:
OHL commissioner David Branch, please get yer ass to the NHL!

Trust me you would not want this guy at all, he is worse commissioner than Bettman.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Captain Pants
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:56 pm 
Brawler

I honestly don't think the hit was that bad. It WAS from behind but it really didn't look all that deliberate, the guy turned at the last second

patkane88
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 am 
Captain Clutch

Captain Pants wrote:
I honestly don't think the hit was that bad. It WAS from behind but it really didn't look all that deliberate, the guy turned at the last second

I agree, the Rager players helmet was coming off before the hit. If he only would have his helmet on properly he would not have had his bell rung but as long as you are in the OHL and ou have a history of doing this like Liambas does you are going to pay for your actions.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

icehound
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:22 pm 
Star Sniper

Courtesy of the Hockey News:

Bob McCown's Blog: Culture, not players, at root of violence

"I have said many times that what is wrong with hockey has nothing to do with those who play the game. They merely try to put into practice what they are taught and what is expected of them.

No, it is those who have established a culture within the game that is without consideration, concern or respect for those who wear a sweater of a different color who are responsible.

And while a 16-year-old…a kid…lies in a hospital bed with his future indeterminate they have the audacity to argue that David Branch’s yearlong suspension was too harsh.

They try telling us this was nothing more than another player “finishing the check.”

They insist that Liambis was “absent malice,” therefore he must not be condemned. They even attempt to turn the debate into an issue over whether or not a 16-year-old should be allowed to play with a 20-year-old.

Repeatedly over the past few days I have heard and read how this incident was merely “part of the game.” Well, those people are right. It is part of the game and that is exactly what is wrong.

Shame on all of them. Shame on them for their colossal and ceaseless stupidity."

...no argument here.

Folks have lost touch with reality - One cannot enter a contest, any contest, with a "win at all costs" attitude. It's simply insane.

Dreakon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:24 pm 
7th Defenseman

For anyone interested, spotted this on YouTube. Video interview with Ben and his family and whatnot. Thought it was pretty interesting, I really know nothing of the OHL or it's players and that was a nasty hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfeo9-Uzmw4

patkane88
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:14 am 
Captain Clutch

Dreakon wrote:
For anyone interested, spotted this on YouTube. Video interview with Ben and his family and whatnot. Thought it was pretty interesting, I really know nothing of the OHL or it's players and that was a nasty hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfeo9-Uzmw4

It was a bad hit but it is not worthy of a balance of the season suspension.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Gasoline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:07 pm 
7th Defenseman

It damn well WAS deserving of a season-long suspension. That hit ended Fanelli's season with the Rangers and could possibly end his hockey career because of long-term complications resulting from any kind of injury to the head, especially something as severe as skull fractures. It was dirty hit, Liambas has a reputation for pulling shit like that. (remember Tavares?) Liambas deserves to have his own season ended just the same, and I'm glad that that was the decision that was reached. In fact, Liambas shouldn't even be in the OHL anymore, he's 20 years old for Christ's sake.

patkane88
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:55 pm 
Captain Clutch

Gasoline wrote:
It damn well WAS deserving of a season-long suspension. That hit ended Fanelli's season with the Rangers and could possibly end his hockey career because of long-term complications resulting from any kind of injury to the head, especially something as severe as skull fractures. It was dirty hit, Liambas has a reputation for pulling shit like that. (remember Tavares?) Liambas deserves to have his own season ended just the same, and I'm glad that that was the decision that was reached. In fact, Liambas shouldn't even be in the OHL anymore, he's 20 years old for Christ's sake.

You can have 3 20-year old on each team so your wrong.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Dreakon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:32 pm 
7th Defenseman

Guy sounds like a saint, learned nothing from potentially ending that kids career. Kudos to all of you who are defending his clean and honest reputation and going after the league for unjustly ending his fantastic season. Any league would be lucky to have him.