It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm 
Page Side

End The Curse wrote:
Want to see some really, really sick stats? Here's Enroth's numbers since 11/28/09:
    W/L: 15-6-1
    GAA: 1.68
    SV%: .938
    SHO: 3

That's very good to see. But I'd rather not see that wasted on the bench in the NHL. You have to keep him sharp by allowing him to play regular minutes.

That won't happen in the NHL with Miller on this team.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:29 pm 
Star Sniper

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
End The Curse wrote:
Want to see some really, really sick stats? Here's Enroth's numbers since 11/28/09:
    W/L: 15-6-1
    GAA: 1.68
    SV%: .938
    SHO: 3

That's very good to see. But I'd rather not see that wasted on the bench in the NHL. You have to keep him sharp by allowing him to play regular minutes. That won't happen in the NHL with Miller on this team.

As I said above, you're much more of a gambler than I am. I'm simply not willing to take that kind of a risk on his development.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm 
Star Sniper

Also, don't forget the importance for a young, talented goaltender to be brought up to the NHL as a backup, not a starter. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of adjusting to the next level is the mental maturity, and learning behind Miller about how to become a true professional for a couple years as an apprentice is the smartest way to ease him into the NHL.

A young goalie needs to be mentored, has to see the amount of work that must be put in, the preparation time, how to deal with the media, overcome adversity, the grind of all that pressure, the women, the hostile crowds, etc. The worst thing we could do for his development as a pro would be to let him rot in the AHL too long and then bring him up as an emergency starter without that valuable tutelage.

Again, the risk taker will put all his chips on the AHL and then hope for the best. It might work, it might not, but I don't see why we should take that chance. For my money, the conservative approach of letting him ease into the NHL over time, playing maybe 15-20 games per year for a couple years to build his confidence and learn what it takes to be a top 5 goalie in the NHL, is the best way to insure his successful transition.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

could go either way. one more season in the AHL shouldnt stunt his growth. however, if hes ready, then, hes ready.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 pm 
Garbage Man

Enroth still hasn't shown he can play well through a full schedule. One more year won't hurt at all. He should definitely get some games in next year, and if we lock up a spot he should definitely get a start this year. But he should spend the majority of the time in Portland next year.

Eh