It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:18 pm 
Page Side

Not sure where I should post this, be it sabres hockey, other hockey, or lounge... so move it if you feel it's necessary.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabre ... 60342.html

Quote:
Politicking, intrinsic to Albany's legislative halls, has made its way to the ice rinks. Sen. Charles E. Schumer is urging the Buffalo Sabres to help bring their minor-league team to the state capital.

The Portland Pirates' lease with the Cumberland County Civic Center expires following the season, and ownership is investigating a move from Maine to Albany. The capital is losing its American Hockey League team to Charlotte, N.C., and Schumer hopes the Sabres' affiliate fills the hole.

"Albany is a first-class hockey town, and any AHL team — but especially an upstate New York team like the Sabres — would make a wise choice to move there," Schumer said in a statement. "Creating a Sabres fan base that stretches from west to east across all of upstate is a great idea, and I think that hockey fans in the Albany area will be motivated to root for a team also from upstate New York."

Schumer said he spoke with Larry Quinn this week and released a letter he gave the Sabres' minority owner. The Sabres, who have little to no say in the relocation process, will not comment on the Pirates' situation. Schumer, however, says Quinn confirmed Portland's owners are considering the move.

Pirates managing owner Brian Petrovek said last week his primary goal is to reach a new lease agreement in Portland.

The Pirates visit the Albany River Rats on Friday before playing Saturday and Sunday in Rochester. They have won nine straight games.

I know that I'd be driving down to Albany quite regularly if the Pirates played there.

Maybe he has a point. Build the Sabres fan base up in upstate new york. I bet the Pirates would do much better there than the river rats.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm 
resident car guy

I'd rather see their affiliate back in Rochester, but I don't know how much of a longshot that is.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i dont see why portland would move. the only thing that sucks about the pirates is the name and logo.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Ryan911T wrote:
I'd rather see their affiliate back in Rochester, but I don't know how much of a longshot that is.

It will never happen unless there is another ownership change of the Amerks, and both parties were interested.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm 
Star Sniper

I'm fine with Portland. Not sure I care if they moved to Albany, but I am disturbed that even at the AHL level cities are being threatened with relocation if they don't build newer, shinier arenas.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

slesh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Why not move them to Hamilton? That would bring them even closer. We can have a team naming contest. :)

Pirates_fan_1969
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm 
Rink Rat

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingwhite:

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm 
Star Sniper

slesh wrote:
Why not move them to Hamilton? That would bring them even closer. We can have a team naming contest. :)

The Hamilton Bulldogs may have something to say about that........ :lol:

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm 
Star Sniper

Squanto wrote:
Ryan911T wrote:

It will never happen unless there is another ownership change of the Amerks, and both parties were interested.

Nope; Mr. G won't do business with The Fat Man in Rochester.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I'm also OK with Portland, even though I'd love to see them in Albany.

Schumer made a number of mistakes in his letter, as pointed out by (I think) Mike Harrington.

Pirates_fan_1969
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm 
Rink Rat

if Sen. Schumer was really trying to get the Pirates to move to Albany, one would think he may talk to the ownership of the Pirates, and not the Buffalo Sabres...

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Schumer isn't a bad guy, but sometimes he just doesn't understand how things work. :)

slesh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Pirates_fan_1969 wrote:

Sorry Pf1969, the Hamilton situation is a running joke around these parts ever since some guy tried to get an NHL franchise to relocate their.

Pirates_fan_1969
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm 
Rink Rat

slesh wrote:
Pirates_fan_1969 wrote:

Sorry Pf1969, the Hamilton situation is a running joke around these parts ever since some guy tried to get an NHL franchise to relocate their.

not a problem, I recall Basille and the Coyotes thing. That was more in response to the general situation. I have been going to Pirates games for 17 years, and not happy with the rumors and speculation. I am hoping this is another posturing ploy to get a better deal with the city of Portland than an actual attempt to move. here's some perspective: I am a Pirates full season ticket holder. I live in Nashua NH, games are 1 hour and 40 minutes away, one way.

I'll be in Albany tomorrow and Rochester for the weekend for games.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Squanto wrote:
Schumer isn't a bad guy, but sometimes he just doesn't understand how things work. :)

Maybe Chuck should spend his time worrying about 9% unemployment instead of AHL hockey franchises.

He must have a friend this would benefit in Albany. There's no other explanation.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:04 am 
Page Side

Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:

Maybe Chuck should spend his time worrying about 9% unemployment instead of AHL hockey franchises.

He must have a friend this would benefit in Albany. There's no other explanation.

Or friends, considering all kinds of local businesses surrounding the Times Union Center benefit from having an AHL franchise in town, like the hotels that house players, the bars, restaurants, and shops that serve fans, among other things.

Albany is hurting bad enough. Letting the Rats leave town without finding a replacement would kind of suck.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 am 
Sober enough to run a server

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Or friends, considering all kinds of local businesses surrounding the Times Union Center benefit from having an AHL franchise in town, like the hotels that house players, the bars, restaurants, and shops that serve fans, among other things.

Albany is hurting bad enough. Letting the Rats leave town without finding a replacement would kind of suck.

I would think that particular micro-economy should be beneath the radar of a U.S. Senator at this point in time.

maybe that's just me.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 am 
Page Side

Crosscheck wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:

I would think that particular micro-economy should be beneath the radar of a U.S. Senator at this point in time.

maybe that's just me.

Maybe so. I mean, every little bit helps.

Also, it's not like he's putting a ton of effort into it. He just recommended to the Sabres organization that they do all in their power to help the Pirates move to Albany for a symbiotic relationship.

I just don't like criticizing politicians for doing things that can actually help, even if the effects are minimal. It puts them in a, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Maybe we can turn this back into a hockey discussion?

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 am 
Garbage Man

Pirates_fan_1969 wrote:
slesh wrote:
Pirates_fan_1969 wrote:

not a problem, I recall Basille and the Coyotes thing. That was more in response to the general situation. I have been going to Pirates games for 17 years, and not happy with the rumors and speculation. I am hoping this is another posturing ploy to get a better deal with the city of Portland than an actual attempt to move. here's some perspective: I am a Pirates full season ticket holder. I live in Nashua NH, games are 1 hour and 40 minutes away, one way.

I'll be in Albany tomorrow and Rochester for the weekend for games.

NNiiiiicccccceeeee. So do you get sad when the Sabres prospects get called up to the big club? lol