It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ROCHESTER — Tyler Ennis' short time in the NHL is rarely far from his mind — or his computer screen.

"I check out the goal on YouTube quite often," Ennis said with a grin.

The goal against Philadelphia during Ennis' lone appearance with the Buffalo Sabres in November is his one big-league highlight. At the pace he is developing, it certainly won't be his last.

Ennis has become the Sabres' No. 1 prospect, something he continued to prove during Portland's two games in Rochester over the weekend. The depleted Pirates leaned heavily on their 20-year-old forward, and Ennis helped deliver three of four points with a victory and shootout loss.

"We're just on a roll and finding ways to win," said Ennis, whose team is 11-0-1 in the last 12 games after Sunday's 3-2 shootout setback to the Amerks.

Ennis assisted on the opening goal Sunday and scored in the shootout. He has five goals and eight assists during the run and leads the Pirates with 54 points in 56 games. He has 18 goals and a team-high 36 assists.

They are numbers that have caught even the offensively gifted Ennis off-guard.

"First-year pro, I didn't know what to expect," he said. "I'm a competitive guy and wanted to put up good numbers. I didn't necessarily expect to put up these numbers, but lately, as the season's gone on, I've started to expect that of myself, and I'm setting the bar higher and higher."

The bar, it seems, should stretch from Maine to Western New York. The Sabres like their prospects to spend at least a season in the minor leagues. Ennis, drafted 26th overall in 2008, is making a solid case his stay shouldn't last longer than that.

"His top-end skill is the best in the American League," Sabres pro scout Jon Christiano said. "He has quick hands, quick feet that not all guys have. ... He makes more NHL plays than any player at that level."

Over the weekend, Ennis made more plays than anybody. He also had more opportunities. The Pirates were down to 10 forwards for Saturday's game, so Portland coach Kevin Dineen called on Ennis often, double-shifting the forward while keeping him on the power play and penalty kill.

Ennis didn't record a point in the 4-3 victory, but he was the most noticeable player on the ice as the Pirates set a franchise record with their 11th straight win.

"Tyler's been playing a real lot of quality minutes for us," Dineen said. "He's played center a lot this year, he's played wing the last 10 to 15 games. Wherever he is, he's a fire starter. Good things seem to follow where he is."

Ennis is skating as the left winger for center Brad Larsen and right wing Mark Mancari, Portland's top line. Ennis previously centered for Mancari and left wing Nathan Gerbe, but Gerbe has missed 13 straight games with a groin strain.

It's clear Ennis is the key no matter the line. He has the high-end speed to pull away from defenders, the shiftiness and quick bursts to create open ice and the pinpoint passing to set up teammates.

Ennis' lack of size — he's 5-foot-9, 163 pounds — is his primary drawback, but the Edmonton native confidently strides to the middle of the ice with his head up. He also isn't afraid to initiate contact, giving up the puck with Rochester's Michael Repik barreling in so he could send a shoulder Repik's way.

"Teams are really starting to really know how much of a key guy he is, but to me that's what defines a great player: Everyone knows you're great but you can still make it happen," Portland defenseman T.J. Brennan said. "He's the youngest guy on our team, but he brings it every night. You can't teach that kind of stuff."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/02/21/9 ... parks.html

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
Page Side

Ennis in the NHL next year = awesome fun sabres games to watch.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm 
Star Sniper

I really, really hope so. I'm getting a bit jaded by the fact that we haven't had a true Top 6 forward emerge from the AHL since '05-'06.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Tyler Small is gonna be a highlight-reel terror.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ennis makes gerbe expendable at the deadline.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:30 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

And who thought we'd be saying that about Ennis and Gerbe right now, at this point last season when Gerbe was TEARING UP the AHL?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ennis is a few inches taller then gerbe, several years younger, and has a better background. i mean, gerbe played well in college, but theres a reason he was drafted late. and just as well, i dont think he has that high of a ceiling. ennis, on the other hand, has a much much higher ceiling. plus, you and i have always felt gerbe has a bad attitude.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

I agree.

Man, I can't wait for Ennis to get up with us. Think next year he'll break through? I think he will.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Aye, we did, Mike. I did feel as though he was turning his attitude around, but I've always felt (after observing Ennis' last junior season and Gerbe's rookie AHL season) that Ennis is a more valuable player. Plus, he has filthy, disgusting, dirty hands! :D

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:55 pm 
Captain Dynasty

well, he could wash them...

*tap tap tap*
is this thing on?

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 pm 
Page Side

Gerbe is faster than Ennis. That's one of the things he's got going for him. He could easily be one of the fastest players in the NHL if he could crack the lineup.

But if we have to trade away Gerbe to bring in someone worth while for this year and next year, I'm okay with it.

The way Ennis can just cradle the puck and release a wrist shot without anyone suspecting it... it's crazy.

He showed it in his first NHL game. I know you all know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to post it anyways because it's awesome to watch:

EDIT:

The thing I like about Gerbe is how pissy he gets. We need some hot headedness on this team.

Gerbe went right after Rick Nash when he played against Columbus. You won't see Derek Roy doing that.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:56 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Gerbe still pulls himself out of the play with his pissiness...there's the basis for my argument against him.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:21 pm 
Page Side

mechaphil wrote:
Gerbe still pulls himself out of the play with his pissiness...there's the basis for my argument against him.

You think he's still doing that?

I'd think the motivation to make it to the NHL would be enough to get him to quit it, and I'm sure Dineen has spoken to him about it more than once.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I wish his groin would heal so I could see him in action and re-evaluate him. But as it stands right now, I'm gonna side with Tennis the Menace.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 pm 
Page Side

mechaphil wrote:
I wish his groin would heal so I could see him in action and re-evaluate him. But as it stands right now, I'm gonna side with Tennis the Menace.

Oh well if it came down to one or the other, my obvious pick is Ennis.

But in 4 years from now, to see Gerbe and Ennis out on the ice at the same time... all that speed and shiftiness...

They would TERRORIZE teams.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:28 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I know both play wing, so a giant playmaking center would make that a devastating line.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:21 pm 
Cup Winner

Oh I can't wait for this kid to make our NHL line-up.

He will be an amazing player for sure and there is a reason why he is our top prospect with numbers like that.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 am 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
I know both play wing, so a giant playmaking center would make that a devastating line.

Ennis is only playing wing cause Gerbs is injured. He'll move back to center when Gerbe comes back. But perhaps that center could be Adam? But I really wanna see Gerbe-Ennis-Kassian.

Eh

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:48 am 
Page Side

sabresEH wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

Ennis is only playing wing cause Gerbs is injured. He'll move back to center when Gerbe comes back. But perhaps that center could be Adam? But I really wanna see Gerbe-Ennis-Kassian.

I really don't like that our organization is turning our high flying wingers into centers.

Ennis, Kennedy, and Gerbe are much better suited to play wing because of their size and raw offensive talent.

Oh well.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I've got a feeling this kid is going to jump gerbe in the call up list, which makes gerbe expendable, especially if gerbe is going to become a man made of glass