It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

SabresBillsFan
 Post subject: Nick Crawford
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 pm 
Power Forward

Nick Crawford Barrie Colts (total) 61gp 10g 56a 66pts 22pm
Is in the top 25 in scoring. Not too shabby for a Defenseman. Wonder where he ranks in the system?

Timbo Slice
 Post subject: Re: Nick Crawford
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Interesting. I had no idea he was having such a great year. He was taken in the SIXTH round, 164th overall, in 2008.

He played for Saginaw for several years before being traded to Barrie. Had a pretty darn good year in the OHL in his draft year, but he's taken it to a whole other level this year. Cool.

Got some size, too - 6'1. Only weighs around 185 right now though...

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Is it just me, or are we getting some pretty monster years out of half our prospects? That's what it seems like anyway.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:49 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

We are getting some monster years out of our prospects. Ennis, Adam, Lagace, Crawford, McNabb (another player no one is talking about) and the beleaguered Cory Tropp are all having pretty ridic seasons.

I still don't know if Crawford is part of the dominance in Barrie, or if he's riding the wave.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm 
Cup Winner

56 assists? Holy chit that is alot, even in the CHL and stuff.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

I am getting totally pumped about our stacked pipeline. No more do I find myself looking to MacArthur, Paille and Mancari to be the future of this team. Things are looking up, in my opinion. I think the Sabres have a bright future.

Ham

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:11 am 
Power Forward

Hammygoodness wrote:
I am getting totally pumped about our stacked pipeline. No more do I find myself looking to MacArthur, Paille and Mancari to be the future of this team. Things are looking up, in my opinion. I think the Sabres have a bright future.

Ham

Yeah I hope those numbers aren't deceiving. Just because players light it up in juniors doesn't mean a thing at the pro level. Only in time we will know but like I said it seems like he is flying under the radar. Not much talk about him in the system.

Los9090
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:11 am 
Superstar Goalie

Well he is 20 years old so...

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm 
PP Quarterback

Hammygoodness wrote:

Ham

With 2 nice LW prospects maybe Vanek isn't so exposed next year?

Gosh he needs an Andreychuk-like center on his line.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm 
Cup Winner

SabresBillsFan wrote:
Hammygoodness wrote:

Ham

Yeah I hope those numbers aren't deceiving. Just because players light it up in juniors doesn't mean a thing at the pro level. Only in time we will know but like I said it seems like he is flying under the radar. Not much talk about him in the system.

Of course it doesn't, but it's still pretty damn awesome looking forward to.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 pm 
Garbage Man

Los9090 wrote:
Well he is 20 years old so...

Yeah but he just turned 20. Its not like this is his overage year. Putting up these numbers in his 19 yo year is pretty good. ButI dont wanna get too excited. He is on the best team in the OHL. With soo many assists you gotta think the kid can move the puck well. As long as he plays solid in his own zone he should be able to translate his game to the pro level. But we wont find out til next year.

Eh

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:28 am 
Franchise Defenseman

they signed brennan to help the pirates with the playoffs the same could be of crawford if his team exits early from the playoffs.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:03 am 
Garbage Man

I was thinking about that too but with Barrie a top team in the OHL a long playoff run is probably more likely.

Eh

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:52 am 
Garbage Man

SabresBillsFan wrote:
Hammygoodness wrote:

Ham

Yeah I hope those numbers aren't deceiving. [b]Just because players light it up in juniors doesn't mean a thing at the pro level.[/b] Only in time we will know but like I said it seems like he is flying under the radar. Not much talk about him in the system.

Actually it does. It doesn't prove they will have success at the next level but it does prove they have to offensive capability to succeed at the next level. Whether they can translate that to pro hockey is another story, but a guy with good number in juniors has a much better shot at good numbers in the pros than guys who dont. I think that's pretty obvious

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 pm 
Cup Winner

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
Hammygoodness wrote:

Ham

Yeah I hope those numbers aren't deceiving. [b]Just because players light it up in juniors doesn't mean a thing at the pro level.[/b] Only in time we will know but like I said it seems like he is flying under the radar. Not much talk about him in the system.

Actually it does. It doesn't prove they will have success at the next level but it does prove they have to offensive capability to succeed at the next level. Whether they can translate that to pro hockey is another story, but a guy with good number in juniors has a much better shot at good numbers in the pros than guys who dont. I think that's pretty obvious

It does show you they are capable of lighting the lamp up and helping.

Isn't guaranteed, but sure does help.

Rud wrote:

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crawford named Kaminsky runner-up

Nick Crawford of the Barrie Colts has finished second in voting for the Max Kaminsky Trophy, awarded annually to the OHL's top defenseman. The league's leading defensive scorer, Crawford was edged out by Soo Greyhounds overager Jacob Muzzin by a 73-45 margin for the honor. Past winners of the Kaminsky hardware include Drew Doughty, Andrej Sekera, Brian Campbell, and everyone's favorite Flyer, Chris Pronger.

Crawford, 20, scored 11 goals and 70 points in 68 regular season games split between Saginaw and Barrie. His point total was the most for a Sabres CHL defenseman since Marc-Andre Gragnani's 71 back in 2005-06 with the QMJHL's PEI Rocket. While his patience and poise have made him an excellent power play weapon for the past two seasons, the 6'1 lefty also paced the OHL with an impressive +51 rating en route to helping the Colts to a dominating 57-9-0-2 record and #1 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Crawford has continued his steady play into the postseason, registering 10 assists and a +6 rating through the first three rounds as the stay-back man on the Colts' #1 pair with Blues prospect Alex Pietrangelo. Barrie is currently awaiting the winner of Sunday's Western Conference game seven between the Kitchener Rangers and Zack Kassian's Windsor Spitfires for the rights to rep the OHL in the 2010 Memorial Cup.

The Sabres blueline cupboard is somewhat crowded, but it is a lock that Crawford is signed to an entry-level deal at the end of his season. Adding strength to his smart, shutdown style will make the 2008 sixth-round pick a prime candidate for quality AHL minutes in 2010-ll. From there, it'll be on Crawford to show he can handle the pro speed while doing all the other things that have made him a successful junior player over the past three seasons.

Not bad for a guy who wasn't even ranked by NHL's Central Scouting Bureau heading into the 2008 draft.

patkane88
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 pm 
Captain Clutch

psychemedisabrefan wrote:
Crawford named Kaminsky runner-up

Nick Crawford of the Barrie Colts has finished second in voting for the Max Kaminsky Trophy, awarded annually to the OHL's top defenseman. The league's leading defensive scorer, Crawford was edged out by Soo Greyhounds overager Jacob Muzzin by a 73-45 margin for the honor. Past winners of the Kaminsky hardware include Drew Doughty, Andrej Sekera, Brian Campbell, and everyone's favorite Flyer, Chris Pronger.

Crawford, 20, scored 11 goals and 70 points in 68 regular season games split between Saginaw and Barrie. His point total was the most for a Sabres CHL defenseman since Marc-Andre Gragnani's 71 back in 2005-06 with the QMJHL's PEI Rocket. While his patience and poise have made him an excellent power play weapon for the past two seasons, the 6'1 lefty also paced the OHL with an impressive +51 rating en route to helping the Colts to a dominating 57-9-0-2 record and #1 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Crawford has continued his steady play into the postseason, registering 10 assists and a +6 rating through the first three rounds as the stay-back man on the Colts' #1 pair with Blues prospect Alex Pietrangelo. Barrie is currently awaiting the winner of Sunday's Western Conference game seven between the Kitchener Rangers and Zack Kassian's Windsor Spitfires for the rights to rep the OHL in the 2010 Memorial Cup.

The Sabres blueline cupboard is somewhat crowded, but it is a lock that Crawford is signed to an entry-level deal at the end of his season. Adding strength to his smart, shutdown style will make the 2008 sixth-round pick a prime candidate for quality AHL minutes in 2010-ll. From there, it'll be on Crawford to show he can handle the pro speed while doing all the other things that have made him a successful junior player over the past three seasons.

Not bad for a guy who wasn't even ranked by NHL's Central Scouting Bureau heading into the 2008 draft.

Nice to see a guy taken in the 6th round have a chance to be dman of the year.

Also who the girl in your avatar? She's hot

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:40 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Nick Crawford was signed today to a standard 3-year entry level contract.

Story on Sabres.com

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:54 am 
Superstar Goalie

My only concern is that this is a sign that Darcy will be relying heavily on building from within the organization at the expense of looking to trades and signings come summer. I'm pumped for having young kids come up and be given a chance but I would like to see it tempered with a bulky roster switch via trades etc. as well. If we have learned only one thing from the last several years is that we can't rely solely on the rookies and in house breeding.

Last edited by Displaced Fan on Sat May 08, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:37 am 
Hart Winner

Well if he SUCKED in the juniors we would be pissed, so we should be GLAD he has done good in the juniors.