It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

sabresEH wrote:
Wooord Phil. 3 apples eh. Did that finish the series then with tonights win?

Yessir, it did!

And I've been thinking about the whole Foligno thing, and my stance on him has changed to that of a softer one. He was picked in the fourth round, not the second like his brother was. They knew what they were doing when they drafted a big, mean Foligno. He'll be a fourth-liner and that's pretty much all he be expected to be. They scouted him for what they needed and drafted him for what they needed, and since size and grit are what they needed, I'm ok with him playing that role.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:54 pm 
Cup Winner

Jim Bob wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
This is my opinion about him getting picked by Buffalo. Buffalo was looking for size and grit rather than looking for any type of skill since most of this team is on the small side. Do I agree with it. I think you have to take the best player skill wise available and by that I mean a guy that looks like he can play at the NHL level. I would be looking at his skating and his total skill and what kind of upside this guy could have in a few years of development. It's really a crap shoot and isn't that easy to know if the guy is going to pan out but I would rather pick a guy with skill rather than base it on size and grit. Worst case scenario if the guy is on the smaller side but has the skill to make it you at least have some trade value there.

And what if the small skilled guy doesn't work out?

A bust is a bust is a bust.

When you are talking about a 4th round pick, the odds are about 1 in 5 that a 4th rounder turn into NHLers.

About the same goes for 5th rounders. So, for every Ryan Miller you have 4 or 5 busts that never make the show.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Foligno pick as the Sabres need to balance out their prospect portfolio with some more size & grit.

Teams need a balance between size & grit. I like the direction that the club went last year especially given how Kassian & McNabb are playing.

Miller was a different story really. He was taken in the 5th round and then after he was selected had amazing numbers at Michigan.

Foligno could make it. The odds are against him, but I think most 4th rounds their chance of being an NHL guy is close to the 1 in 8 people or so.

Also Phil, Nick Foligno was drafted at 28th overall in 2006, so he was a first round draft pick.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Whoops.

Games on tonight:
Medicine Hat vs Kootenay, 7PM MDT (Brayden McNabb)
Prince Edward Island vs Saint John, 7:30PM EST (Jordan Southorn)

eh, I know you're reading this - post the final of the Kelowna game in here, will ya.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Foligno, Nick RFA 0.850, if you think having his brother on the team would help spark the young foligno. don't know what you'd offer him, because ottawa will get the picks.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:26 pm 
Garbage Man

The Hat is up 3-2 on Kootenay right now. McNabb no points but is +1. Which is one thing I've noticed about McNabb is even when they lose he's usually even or sometimes a plus.
As for Southorn well he had no points again in Saint John's 7-2 shit kicking of PEI. Good luck next year Jordan.

Will do Phil.

Eh

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 pm 
Garbage Man

So Kootenay lost tonight 5-2 and are down 3-2 in the series after winning the first two. McNabb finished with no points 2 pims and even.

Eh

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
This is my opinion about him getting picked by Buffalo. Buffalo was looking for size and grit rather than looking for any type of skill since most of this team is on the small side. Do I agree with it. I think you have to take the best player skill wise available and by that I mean a guy that looks like he can play at the NHL level. I would be looking at his skating and his total skill and what kind of upside this guy could have in a few years of development. It's really a crap shoot and isn't that easy to know if the guy is going to pan out but I would rather pick a guy with skill rather than base it on size and grit. Worst case scenario if the guy is on the smaller side but has the skill to make it you at least have some trade value there.

When you are talking about a 4th round pick, the odds are about 1 in 5 that a 4th rounder turn into NHLers.

About the same goes for 5th rounders. So, for every Ryan Miller you have 4 or 5 busts that never make the show.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Foligno pick as the Sabres need to balance out their prospect portfolio with some more size & grit.

Teams need a balance between size & grit. I like the direction that the club went last year especially given how Kassian & McNabb are playing.

Miller was a different story really. He was taken in the 5th round and then after he was selected had amazing numbers at Michigan.

Foligno could make it. The odds are against him, but I think most 4th rounds their chance of being an NHL guy is close to the 1 in 8 people or so.

Also Phil, Nick Foligno was drafted at 28th overall in 2006, so he was a first round draft pick.

miller had yet to play in college prior to being drafted.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 pm 
Garbage Man

Fuck Phil sorry forgot to post it last night. 4-0 final.

Eh

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:10 am 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:

miller had yet to play in college prior to being drafted.

I know, reason I said Miller was drafted and then had amazing numbers in college. Miller was, as it looks, drafted only because he was available at the time and they decided to pick a goalie then.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 am 
Garbage Man

Well Phil the Rockets are headed back to Everett for a game seven battle. They won this evening 5-4. Its been a homer season so far but it just comes down to one game. Hey Darcy release Myers for one game please :wink:

Eh

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Welp, Brayden McNabb and the Ice are done for after losing to Medicine Hat 4-2 in game six.

Edit: I'm a derp

Last edited by mechaphil on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:23 pm 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
Welp, Brayden McNabb and the Ice are done for after losing to Medicine Hat 4-2 in game six.

This leaves only Nick Crawford as the only Sabres prospect in the CHL with something to play for.

Kassian is still playing Phil.

Eh

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:25 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

sabresEH wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

This leaves only Nick Crawford as the only Sabres prospect in the CHL with something to play for.

Kassian is still playing Phil.

Completely forgot he's on Windsor! (Still thought he was on PBO derrrp)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:30 pm 
Captain Dynasty

did crawford get traded from the spirit?

edit: yes.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I know we don't have any kids on Kelowna this year, but since this is the thread where eh and I have been discussing the Rockets (The Guggenburglar!) and game 7 is tonight, I figured that this is the right thread for:
Let's go Rockets!

sabresEH
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:06 pm 
Garbage Man

Hahaha niice Phil. Everyone please send out good thoughts towards the Rockets tonight they are gonna need all the help they can get.

Eh

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Woo Rockets win game 7 on Guggenberger's 40-save effort!

sabresEH
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 am 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
Woo Rockets win game 7 on Guggenberger's 40-save effort!

I was just about to come post it haha. Huge win. Looks like we get the Tri-City Americans next. Yayyyy /sarcasm.

Eh

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 pm 
Cup Winner

Guggenberger? Wasn't he the undrafted goalie in the WJC who won gold with USA?

Or am I crazy?

Rud wrote:

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Guggenberger? Wasn't he the undrafted goalie in the WJC who won gold with USA?

Or am I crazy?

That's Jack Campbell. Guggenberger was the goalie who played out of his skull for the Rockets last season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next