It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Maestro wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:

Mikael Granlund

Please Darcy

This kid is the second coming of Vanek. Shoots a heavy puck, has great balance and awareness. Nose for finding the puck around the net.

He is nothing like Vanek. Vanek is 6'2 and moved to the United States early to adjust to the North American game, played in the USHL and then playing hockey at a University. Granlund, is a center, and is only 5'10. He is a pass first player. The Hockey News and Goran Stubb (NHL director of European scouting) both compare Granlund to Saku Koivu as "best case" scenario.

Another player comparable would be Nicklas Backstrom of the Capitals. Although, Backstrom played two years in the Swedish Elite league prior to the draft, while Granlund only one. Granlund will probably play another or two more years of Finnish hockey before coming over the pond. With the failures of Zagrapan and Gogulla, i'd be shocked if the Sabres picked a European player in round one.

So what you're saying is, if he's Koivu, or Backstrom, you'd be disappointed...I'd be happily shocked if he was that kind of player.

The point I was making by showing the video, and my statements were, he's a superstar. He's got a good shot, solid hands, and is hard to knock off the puck. Also we need a center, and if you think 5'10 is small for a center, Roy's got some issues with you to be settled later on.

Squanto 7/27/2010

dr.K
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:10 pm 
Late-Round Gem

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2010/06/ ... eview.html

kris Baker of Sabresprospects.com did a decent pre draft preview. above is the link for that preview. I do wonder why he did not mention the likes of Brock Nelson or Kevin Hayes but his article, his thoughts. He was quite high on sheahan and i can understand why, the kid would fit into Ruff's defense 1st mentality.

Sorry to bash any hopes you may have that granlund will fall to buffalo. if he does i would be really shocked. but then again MPS fell a bit.

Kabanov; well there is no denying his talent, but Ruff does not seem to do well with Russian players and despite a recent article about him pledging to stay in the NHL, there is always a chance that he may dash to the KHL (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530234).

To look on the defensive side of the coin Jonathan Merrill would be a decent first round pick if he were to fall into our laps at 23.

There is also McIlrath in the first round who has a cannon and is tougher than nails. just search his name on youtube.

I've also found a decent site to get some information on some of the prospects outside of the NHL's draft site. http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/05/27/2010 ... prospects/. I would recommend the Hockey News' draft preview most of the time but this years edition is a bit lacking.

It's sad that as long as Quinn is in charge Regier will be here, and as long as Regier is here Ruff is here. Say hello to more years of mediocrity Buffalo. However it is urged that you don't accept it.

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

Maestro
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 am 
Career AHL'er

jvaccaro6 - No, i never said that. I would love a guy with the potential as one of those two. I'm just saying, this kid is nothing like Vanek and also i doubt Sabres go drafting European players due to their bad luck. They have gotten very good luck picking Canadian kids, and i will think they still go that route. Some of these Euro guys are high risk, high potential guys. If you nail it, you look like a genius.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Maestro wrote:
jvaccaro6 - No, i never said that. I would love a guy with the potential as one of those two. I'm just saying, this kid is nothing like Vanek and also i doubt Sabres go drafting European players due to their bad luck. They have gotten very good luck picking Canadian kids, and i will think they still go that route. Some of these Euro guys are high risk, high potential guys. If you nail it, you look like a genius.

at 23 in this years draft, we're going to get a Danny Paille at best. I'd roll the dice on the Euro kid who shows promise with the puck, and at worst will end up being Jochen Hecht, and at best will be Kristian Huselius. There's very little star power in this years draft, but I still see Granlund being closer to a 2nd line, possibly 1st line player.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:32 am 
Penalty Killer

jvaccaro6 wrote:
Maestro wrote:

at 23 in this years draft, we're going to get a Danny Paille at best. I'd roll the dice on the Euro kid who shows promise with the puck, and at worst will end up being Jochen Hecht, and at best will be Kristian Huselius. There's very little star power in this years draft, but I still see Granlund being closer to a 2nd line, possibly 1st line player.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/c ... hird_N.htm

Quote:
At Red Line Report, we've been waiting for the past four months for someone to step up and grab the No. 3 spot in our draft rankings by the throat and make it his own.

Finally, we wait no more.

Mikael Granlund produced a virtuoso performance last month in Minsk at the World Under-18 Championships, impacting games on so many different levels and showing such a multi-faceted game that he has clearly separated himself out from the pack in our view.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/c ... ects_N.htm

Quote:
For Red Line, the second tier of forward talent consists of a pair of smaller Europeans with vastly different strengths and styles. Finnish magician Mikael Granlund is supremely skilled with the puck and likely the smartest player in the entire draft at any position. This brilliantly imaginative center makes sublime set-ups with touch off both sides of the blade, can create and finish his own chances around net, and plays just as hard in the defensive end as he does on offence. And despite his diminutive size at 5-10, 178, he excels playing in traffic and is a feisty and physical competitor who gives as good as he gets in the one-on-one puck battles.

RLR has Granlund as the 3rd best forward prospect in the draft.

I doubt he falls to the Sabres at 23.

Personally, I'm expecting the Sabres to continue the recent trend of drafting CHL kids in the 1st round.

So, I'm expecting the Sabres to look at guys like Dylan McIlrath (Moose Jaw - WHL), Emerson Etem (Medicine Hat - WHL), Quinton Howden (Moose Jaw - WHL), Mark Pysyk (Edmonton - WHL), or Ryan Johansen (Portland - WHL)

I would be mildly surprised if they too an NCAA or Jr A (ie headed to the NCAA) guy in the 1st and I'd be really surprised if they took a European player, even if he was a CHL-based Euro ala Alexander Burmistrov.

And I'd be completely stunned if they were the team to roll the dice on Kabanov.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:19 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I'd love to take see the Sabres take Emerson Etem.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:39 pm 
Captain Dynasty

based on his name alone, i would too.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:48 am 
Garbage Man

I'd like to see them take Jared Tinordi....can you imagine a first line pairing in 4 years of Myers at 6'8" and a 6'5" Tinordi, who is also known to be a great skater for his size? INSANE

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:33 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I've seen some mock drafts that have the Sabres taking Tinordi, too.

dr.K
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:24 pm 
Late-Round Gem

Etem is an interesting choice. He is very much a sniper. where i say interesting is the medicine hat connection. two snipers from medicine hat. I do however think that anaheim will take him. Take a look at Jeff Skinner out of kitchner, he is very much underrated by many so called draft experts.

The thing i don't like about tindori is one he's going to Notre Dame, and i don't think that is really a decent hockey school. I also have Jon merrill rated higher and i think there is a chance he might fall to us.

I'm still going to praise Brock Nelson as well the guy has size, potential, and skills.

And Jay, Granlund is going in the 10-17 range, and i would be extremely shocked. In fact if you go to the draft party and i see you there you'll see my shock.

It's sad that as long as Quinn is in charge Regier will be here, and as long as Regier is here Ruff is here. Say hello to more years of mediocrity Buffalo. However it is urged that you don't accept it.

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:07 am 
Penalty Killer

dr.K wrote:
Etem is an interesting choice. He is very much a sniper. where i say interesting is the medicine hat connection. two snipers from medicine hat. I do however think that anaheim will take him. Take a look at Jeff Skinner out of kitchner, he is very much underrated by many so called draft experts.

I think Skinner will go top 10. He is a goal scoring machine and is getting some Mike Richards comparisons.

Skinner scored 50 goals in the OHL this year. I can't see a kid that was that productive falling to 23.

And if he does, I would hope the Sabres would jump all over him concerns over size be damned.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:23 pm 
Power Forward

Jim Bob wrote:
dr.K wrote:

I think Skinner will go top 10. He is a goal scoring machine and is getting some Mike Richards comparisons.

Skinner scored 50 goals in the OHL this year. I can't see a kid that was that productive falling to 23.

And if he does, I would hope the Sabres would jump all over him concerns over size be damned.

I agree totally. I think Skinner would be a great pick at 23 if he's there. I sure hope so.

dr.K
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm 
Late-Round Gem

SabresBillsFan wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:
dr.K wrote:

I agree totally. I think Skinner would be a great pick at 23 if he's there. I sure hope so.

his skating is his biggest issue, which is weird as he was once a nationally ranked figure skater, but a lot of what i'm reading says his skating is atrocious and that will drop him unless a team is willing to take a chance he can become a better skater. nhl.com has him ranked 34th. Thn has him 25th. fanhouse has him 15th.
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/05/26/hold ... uting-rep/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdet ... 37&tab=scr

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

dr.K
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 pm 
Late-Round Gem

Kirill Kabanov: The Top NHL Draft Prospect with the Daddy Problem

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/20/kiri ... dy-proble/

6/20/2010 9:00 AM ET By Christopher Botta

Christopher Botta
Senior NHL Writer
The stories about the falling stock that is Kirill Kabanov, the world-class talent destined to drop into the second round of the NHL draft, are quickly becoming legend.

-- According to a teammate with Moncton of the Quebec League, Kabanov was so obsessed with tattoos that he said he would like to get a new one every week. And then he supposedly came pretty darn close. "Ridiculous," the teammate told NHL FanHouse. "Most of the guys like tats, but Kirill went nuts with them." Kabanov became the illustrated young man while missing half the season with a wrist injury.

-- Before Moncton's third playoff game, Kabanov was given permission to leave the Wildcats to play for Russia at the World Under-18 Championships in Belarus. The reason given was that the experience was important for the young Russian wing. However, one of his former agents -- he has already been through four -- told FanHouse, "The fact is, his teammates in Moncton wanted Kirill off the team."

Of course, when Kabanov arrived back home, he was soon cut from the national team.

Speak to Kabanov, and it's easy to come away with the impression that he's just a teenager from a faraway land who loves hockey and wants to be a star. His preference for the NHL over the KHL may lead to questions about his motives, but he is sincere. At the NHL Draft Combine last month, he even offered to give his inquisitors his passport to prove his commitment to play in North America.

"CHL, AHL, NHL," Kabanov told reporters at the combine, "I don't want to go back to Russia."

So why is this precocious talent -- mentioned in the same breath as Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin and Brett Connolly just nine months ago -- sinking like a stone on draft boards across the NHL? Sadly, Kirill Kabanov's biggest problem appears to be his father.

Perhaps out of respect to an elder or to the notion of family, almost no one will go on the record about Sergei Kabanov's role in the nosedive of his son's status heading into the draft on Friday and Saturday. However, Ilya Moliver, a representative for the Jay Grossman-led Puck Agency, spoke with the Russian newspaper Sovietskiy Sport about his dealings with the player's father. The following was translated by the website Russian Hockey Fans:
"Kirill isn't to be blamed," said Moliver, one of four men to represent Kabanov before walking away. "It's hard to find a common language with his father. Sergei believes that an agent is a player's servant. Kirill is a nice young man. I told him once, 'You have to choose: we either work with you or your dad.' I have worked with players and parents since 1992, and I never had to deal with such a complicated person."

"When we started working together, Sergei told me his son was better at age 16 than (Ilya) Kovalchuk, (Alexander) Ovechkin and (Evgeni) Malkin. Why all this arrogance? This can only spoil the kid. I understand why scouts and agents changed their attitude towards Kabanov. Kirill isn't progressing as he should, but the guilty ones are the ones surrounding him. What can you do when you have a stone wall like Sergei Kabanov?"
To be sure, Kirill Kabanov will be drafted. He has too much talent for every team in the league to ignore him. Once a team's must-haves come off their board -- especially those teams with extra picks in the second and third round -- scouts will push for his selection.

At his new NHL's team Prospect Camp soon after the draft, the coaching staff will immediately go to work on Kabanov's game and psyche. Hopefully for the young man's sake, Sergei Kabanov will be far, far away.

Not every day can be Father's Day.

interesting article.

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 am 
Penalty Killer

dr.K wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
Jim Bob wrote:
dr.K wrote:

his skating is his biggest issue, which is weird as he was once a nationally ranked figure skater, but a lot of what i'm reading says his skating is atrocious and that will drop him unless a team is willing to take a chance he can become a better skater. nhl.com has him ranked 34th. Thn has him 25th. fanhouse has him 15th.
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/05/26/hold ... uting-rep/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdet ... 37&tab=scr

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944

Bob McKenzie does a really good job at ranking prospects and he has Skinner at 10:

Quote:
The Insider Says
Bob McKenzie: Quite simply, Jeff Skinner is the best natural goal-scorer in the entire draft. He scored 50 goals in the regular season for the Kitchener Rangers and added another 20 in the playoffs. He played on the fourth line for Canada at the U-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament last August and led the team in goal scoring. The former minor midget teammate of Tyler Seguin is not big, he’s not that fast, but he’s got a low centre of gravity, he’s agile and he’s hard on the puck and can score with a quick release from far out or get his nose dirty in the blue paint. Kitchener GM-coach Steve Spott talks about Skinner with the same sort of reverence reserved for former Ranger captain Mike Richards, and that’s saying something. Skinner comes from a family of high achievers – both his parents are lawyers, one sister attends Harvard and the other sister, who has been called to the bar this summer, attends Cornell. When he was 12, Skinner finished third in the national junior figure skating championships and reportedly can do a single axle in full hockey equipment, although Spott said he has yet to witness that. Skinner has been rocketing up the charts all season long as concerns about his skating seem to have dissipated and is a bona find top 10 consideration, although scouts are miffed that NHL Central Scouting ranks him 32nd amongst North American skaters.

dr.K
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 pm 
Late-Round Gem

i don't disagree with you that Skinner should go that high. I'm just stating what i've heard. Lets say this if he is available then i would select him. If he is not available, I'm looking at Jon Merrill LHD, Emerson Etem - C, Brock Nelson - C, Tyler Pitlick -C. I think Etem might go to one of the California teams (it would not surprise me). I did make a draft board up of my own and plan on bringing it with me tomorrow to the draft party.

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:00 am 
Superstar Goalie

I'm really high on McIlrath out of Moose Jaw...but are we more looking for scoring?

And too bad Kirill Kabanov is such a jerk off.
http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/prospe ... l-198.html

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:43 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I've been watching videos of McIlrath fight all morning. Holy dicks, that kid can sling fire!

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:57 pm 
Star Sniper

I want McIlrath soooo bad. Don't think he'll last until 23rd, I'm afraid...

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:59 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

The Globe and Mail has him going at 20 and Tinordi going to the Sabres at 23.

Who I really want: Etem, McIlrath
Who I mehhhh sort of want: Campbell
Who my back-ups are: Sheahan, Tinordi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next