It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm 
Power Forward

Buffalo needs to find a top notch scorer because this team desperately needs a couple especially since Boston will get a top notched player in Hall or Seguin and the whole Northeast division is going to be competitive for years to come.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:02 am 
Penalty Killer

Good luck getting a guy like that in the 20s.

You have like a 5 to 10% chance of getting a stud scorer that late.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 am 
Garbage Man

Jim Bob wrote:
Good luck getting a guy like that in the 20s.

You have like a 5 to 10% chance of getting a stud scorer that late.

Agree with your point, but wanna put the percentage at probably closer to less than 2%, and nowhere near 10%. You just don't get guys like that in the 20's. Players might develop to be on the same level a few years down the road, but the reason those guys go #1 and #2 is they can step in right away and pot 50-70 points

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 am 
Penalty Killer

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
Agree with your point, but wanna put the percentage at probably closer to less than 2%, and nowhere near 10%. You just don't get guys like that in the 20's. Players might develop to be on the same level a few years down the road, but the reason those guys go #1 and #2 is they can step in right away and pot 50-70 points

I wouldn't even count on most top 3 guys to step in and really produce.

This year, Tavares & Duchene were in the mid-50s.

Last year, Stamkos was in the mid-40s.

07-08, Kane got to the low-70s, but was the only top 3 pick to make the jump.

06-07, Staal was low 40s and Kessel didn't even get to 30 pts.

It usually takes to years 2 or 3 after they are drafted for guys to hit their stride offensively.

I'd LOVE to get Seguin. But, I wouldn't count on him being a legit top 2 center in 2010-11. 11-12 or 12-13 is more likely.

And as far as in the 20s, you can hope that this draft is like 2003 where Parise went 17, Getzlaf went 19, Kesler went 23, and Richards went 24.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:08 pm 
Garbage Man

Also Zajac went in the 20's. When drafting in the 20's I think it's best to go for the kids going to college. The kids out of Jr.A or high school. One kid from Penticton has the potential to be a high end winger that will get drafted late first or early second. But you'd have to wait a couple of years before he even plays a pro hockey game.

Eh

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I haven't been watching the NHL prospects as much as the NFL as of current, however near where we are likely to pick I'm liking Jack Campbell G, Brock Nelson C, Riley Sheahan C, Dylan McIlrath D, Quinton Howden C.

leaving the first round according to the so called expert rankings.
Ryan Martindale C.
Beau Bennet RW

a good site to check up on prospects. http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbro ... &year=2010

there are more but thats a start

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:49 pm 
Power Forward

This team needs offensive players in the system. It's okay to draft a goalie in a later round but I believe we are set with Miller and Enroth for years to come. So goaltending shouldn't be a priority.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

SabresBillsFan wrote:
This team needs offensive players in the system. It's okay to draft a goalie in a later round but I believe we are set with Miller and Enroth for years to come. So goaltending shouldn't be a priority.

I wasn't implying that it was a priority. i just was listing best available at point of draft. there was no specific order if that is what you may have thought, just flat out listing players who have value near pick #20. Campbell is slotted to go near pick 20. i will agree with you that it probably is not the most pressing need.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 am 
Penalty Killer

It will be interesting to see if the Sabres breakaway from their trend of picking guys from the CHL in the first couple of rounds?

If not, that means that players like Granlund, Kuznetsov, Pitlick, Bjugstad, Sheahan, Schwartz, Tinordi, Nelson, Rensfeldt, Coyle, Larsson, and Zucker are off the Sabres radar.

Could the Sabres go back to Medicine Hat for Emerson Etem?

A couple of things I like about him:

A played at Shattuck & he works out in the off season TR Goodman. I believe that Jack Johnson & Sidney Crosby have done both of those things, as well.....

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:17 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Jim Bob wrote:
It will be interesting to see if the Sabres breakaway from their trend of picking guys from the CHL in the first couple of rounds?

If not, that means that players like Granlund, Kuznetsov, Pitlick, Bjugstad, Sheahan, Schwartz, Tinordi, Nelson, Rensfeldt, Coyle, Larsson, and Zucker are off the Sabres radar.

A played at Shattuck & he works out in the off season TR Goodman. I believe that Jack Johnson & Sidney Crosby have done both of those things, as well.....

Etem is an interesting prospect. i think his stock has really risen this year and i am not sure if he would be available when the sabres draft. not saying they couldn't trade up, if they did i wouldn't be disappointed. my post was to show prospects avail near pick # 20.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I saw one WHL game this year, Portland vs. Vancouver. The best player on the ice IMO (and the official scorer's too since he was named #1 star) was this guy:

14 Cunningham, Craig C R 5'10'' 179

I was surprised to see two Winterhawks in the first round of the mock draft linked in the first page, but not Cunningham or any other Giant.

sabresrock
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:54 am 
Rink Rat

Do the Sabres own their own 1st round pick or did they acquire it in a trade?

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

pretty sure the first is theirs

sabresEH
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:34 pm 
Garbage Man

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
I saw one WHL game this year, Portland vs. Vancouver. The best player on the ice IMO (and the official scorer's too since he was named #1 star) was this guy:

14 Cunningham, Craig C R 5'10'' 179

I was surprised to see two Winterhawks in the first round of the mock draft linked in the first page, but not Cunningham or any other Giant.

Cunningham has been passed over twice now. If anyone goes for him it will be in the 7th round. I like Marcus Johanssen from the Winterhawks. Havent seen much of him but my boss are work scouts for the canucks and they really like the kid.

Eh

Maestro
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:50 pm 
Career AHL'er

Jim Bob wrote:

If the Sabres have a chance to draft Etem, they have to do it. In fact, if he even drops past the 18th pick, i'd think the Sabres would need to start working the phones. He's an absolute sniper and a great skater. Plays hard ever shift and would be a great addition to the top-6 forwards for the future with Tyler Ennis. Same with Nino, if he starts dropping past 15-18, Sabres need to try to move up.

I doubt either will be available. The guy i on the wagon for right now, and actually have liked for last two weeks as my go-to-pick is Riley Sheahan out of Notre Dame. One expert i read compared him to Ryan Kesler. Another to Jordan Staal. He's excellent in his own end. Battles great by the boards. Hits good. Needs some development on finishing but Sheahan supposedly is open to leaving college for OHL if thats what the NHL team wants. I think OHL can make him a more complete player. His stats from college were not very good, like 6g. 11a or something but you have to remember he was very young. He was in a HS seniors body playing college hockey.

If not Sheahan, guys i really like Nick Bjugstad, Brock Nelson and Dylan Mcilrath.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 am 
Superstar Goalie

I gotta go pick up an a draft magazine...stat!

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 am 
Power Forward

Zucker grew up playing hockey here in Las Vegas and will probably be drafted in the 2nd round or 3rd round of this years draft. I have watched him play and even though he's a very good player. He lacks size and to me seems more of a third or fourth liner at best.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Mikael Granlund

Please Darcy

This kid is the second coming of Vanek. Shoots a heavy puck, has great balance and awareness. Nose for finding the puck around the net.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Maestro
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:52 pm 
Career AHL'er

jvaccaro6 wrote:

Mikael Granlund

Please Darcy

This kid is the second coming of Vanek. Shoots a heavy puck, has great balance and awareness. Nose for finding the puck around the net.

He is nothing like Vanek. Vanek is 6'2 and moved to the United States early to adjust to the North American game, played in the USHL and then playing hockey at a University. Granlund, is a center, and is only 5'10. He is a pass first player. The Hockey News and Goran Stubb (NHL director of European scouting) both compare Granlund to Saku Koivu as "best case" scenario.

Another player comparable would be Nicklas Backstrom of the Capitals. Although, Backstrom played two years in the Swedish Elite league prior to the draft, while Granlund only one. Granlund will probably play another or two more years of Finnish hockey before coming over the pond. With the failures of Zagrapan and Gogulla, i'd be shocked if the Sabres picked a European player in round one.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:21 pm 
Garbage Man

I've said it before and I'll say it again. With one of 3 3rd's we should draft Curtis Hamilton from the Saskatoon Blades. Kind of got plagued with injuries this yeaqr but he's a big boy with a nice skill set. He's from Kelowna and is the son of Rockets President and GM Bruce Hamilton. If it werent for injuries he could have easily become a secound round pick.

Eh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next