It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:55 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

OK, so, did you guys know that going into this off-season the Pirates had no RW'ers under contract. With the Sabres announcing signing Lagace today, that gives them one of four. Re-signing Mancari will give them two, while bringing in Legault from the Q and Tropp from the NCAA will give them a full slate of wingers on the right side. I'd imagine they'd line up with Lagace and Mancari interchangeable at one and two, Tropp at three, and Legault at four. Since Legault is 21 and Tropp is believed to be making the jump, I'd assume that Mancari is the only ?? here.

With Enroth healing his ankle over the summer and J.P. Lamoureux providing solid play as a back-up, the goalie position is where the Pirates are most solid coming into the summer.

As I think more on their situation at every position, I'll update this post with my thoughts and signings and whatnot.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am 
Captain Dynasty

I wish Mancari would bring it every game. He looked like a force of nature in a game or two and then just invisible in the rest.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:13 pm 
Cup Winner

Also we should be expecting Adam on the team too.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:26 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

OK, so I recently discovered Cap Geek (which puts NHL Numbers to shame, and bad), and they have all the contract information for the Pirates, too. Very handy.

Right now, the Sabres have five defensemen under contract that are in Portland - Brennan, Persson, Schiestel, Crawford, and Biega. They have one d-man about to hit UFA status (DiPenta) and four about to hit RFA status (Weber, Gragnani, Kostka, and Generous). I'd assume they'll let DiPenta walk and will qualify Gragnani to keep him in the fold, while re-signing Weber and promoting him.

That leaves Portland with:
Brennan-Biega
Crawford-Gragnani
Persson-Schiestel

Well kiddies, I've got RW and defense covered now under my assessment. Let's see what I focus on next.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 pm 
Garbage Man

I'd like to think they'll offer Kostka or Generous an offer as well, just for depth in Portland.

Eh

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:35 pm 
Garbage Man

That Portland roster looks like it could either be league killers, or a team full of cream puffs......odd

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:39 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

sabresEH wrote:
I'd like to think they'll offer Kostka or Generous an offer as well, just for depth in Portland.

How deep is the AHL allowed to go regarding players? The Sabres don't have an ECHL team, so I don't know where they'd stick their depth.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:52 pm 
Garbage Man

They'd probably loan any additional players out to other AHL or ECHL teams if they do not have their own ECHL team

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
sabresEH wrote:

How deep is the AHL allowed to go regarding players? The Sabres don't have an ECHL team, so I don't know where they'd stick their depth.

I'm not sure but I think you would be able to carry some extra players just in case.

Eh

dr.K
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:14 pm 
Late-Round Gem

i doubt Perrson will have a roster spot over generous. perrson is crap, generous is not as much of crap.

As well i would bet a lot that Regier is not going to get that kaberle like defenseman and rely on Gragnani to step up. so that would mean he's up with the big club.

It's sad that as long as Quinn is in charge Regier will be here, and as long as Regier is here Ruff is here. Say hello to more years of mediocrity Buffalo. However it is urged that you don't accept it.

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

DS37
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:51 pm 
Two-Way Center

dr.K wrote:
As well i would bet a lot that Regier is not going to get that kaberle like defenseman and rely on Gragnani to step up. so that would mean he's up with the big club.

I'm not sure about that. If he really doesn't make any move to help the PP and tries to rely on Grags to save us, well, he's out of his mind and we'll have a really long season...

I think he really has no choice, he must bring a good offensive d-man. He can keep Roy and Connolly and do nothing about that but we can't go anywhere with that kind of PP.

So, I don't think Gragnani will be here, but personally, I haven't been impressed by him. He's got good stats but I just don't see him doing much, his defensive game seems to be horrible.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:51 pm 
Star Sniper

I'll puke in my mouth a little if Gragnani is the only new d-man.

If Darcy wants an offensive d-man with no defense, he may as well sign Marc-Andre Bergeron for the same price. At least then we'll definitely get the PP QB with a stiff does of wimpy no-touch defense.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:56 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
I'll puke in my mouth a little if Gragnani is the only new d-man.

If Darcy wants an offensive d-man with no defense, he may as well sign Marc-Andre Bergeron for the same price. At least then we'll definitely get the PP QB with a stiff does of wimpy no-touch defense.

Stole the post right from my fingers.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Well, with Tropp and Lagace both under contract now, all the Sabres need to do is have Mancari accept his new offer and Legault sign on and they're ready at RW

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:28 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Just for kicks, here's a roster update:
C: Luke Adam, Felix Schutz, Paul Byron
LW: Nathan Gerbe, Derek Whitmore, Travis Turnbull
RW: Corey Tropp, Jacob Lagace

D: Alex Biega, Dennis Persson, Nick Crawford, Drew Schiestel, TJ Brennan

G: Enroth

Still open: one C slot, one LW slot, two RW slots, one D slot, and on G slot

If Mancari and Gragnani accept their QOs, that would leave one empty RW spot and fill up the D. If Darcy were to sign Max Legault (who's 20, btw), it would fill up RW. Brian Roloff from West Seneca is speculated to be receiving an AHL contract after a strong showing as a camp invitee, and that would take care of LW. That would leave the last C and G slots as the only vacancies.

dr.K
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:41 pm 
Late-Round Gem

J.P. did an excellent job for the pirates last season i don't see why he wouldn't be re-signed. give enroth a little familiarity. plus if they are sticking with kids who played locally why not sign caruana. the kid plays with heart. I also think Mike york would be an interesting signing as the guy still has something in the tank and would be a decent veteran.

It's sad that as long as Quinn is in charge Regier will be here, and as long as Regier is here Ruff is here. Say hello to more years of mediocrity Buffalo. However it is urged that you don't accept it.

RIP K.E.G. 3-16-2004

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

He didn't get re-signed because Darcy doesn't deal with career AHLers that he didn't draft himself.