It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

jordano
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21 pm 
Two-Way Center

So they decided to head to Newfoundland for some practices and a couple games. There are 4 Sabres attending this camp (Pysyk, McNabb, Gauthier-Leduc and Kassian), and I'll see them in action tonight during the intrasquad game. I'll let you know my thoughts on these players.

#1 Hockey Nation.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Cool thing! Kris Baker from Sabres Prospects is gonna give updates, too - I think I'll throw those in here as well.

jordano
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:21 pm 
Two-Way Center

I'm attending another game tomorrow so I'll save my updates for then. Although I will say that Kassian got in a helmet razz with Gudbranson. Good stuff.

#1 Hockey Nation.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 pm 
Star Sniper

I saw that on TSN today. He's a mean customer, something this team needs more of to say the least...

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

jordano
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 am 
Two-Way Center

Well, after two solid games I can report that Team Canada will have yet another great team and some solid goalies. As for the Sabres prospects, they were all solid and few made mistakes. With the exception of one..

Jerome Gauthier-Leduc: I never caught much of this guy. He kinda slipped under my radar at times but I did notice that he looks a bit small on the ice. When I looked at the card I was expecting to see 5' 11'' next to his name but I was surprised to see 6' 1''. I did see some great breakout passing from Gauthier-Leduc and a pretty good wrist shot. Other than these small observations I have nothing else to say of him.

Mark Pysyk: Unfortunately Pysyk only played in game one and was scratched from last nights roster (don't know the reason). From what I saw, Pysyk is a good skater and he made some good defensive plays in his own zone. One play that really stood out to me was when he stopped a two on one by sliding at the puck carrier and made a nifty stick swing to knock the puck into the corner. Looks like Pysyk has a good two way game but he does shy away from using his 6 foot frame in the corners.

Brayden McNabb: McNabb displayed some good defensive skills in his own zone and he wasn't afraid to drop a few bods along the way. There was one scenario where Jeff Skinner was waltzing into the zone doing the famous Brian Campbell spinorama when McNabb stepped up to deliver a solid hit. I did see some minor mistakes in his own zone where he was loosing the puck in his feet but maybe he's just getting used to his big size.

Zack Kassian: Last but not least I had the pleasure of watching our 1st round pick of the 2009 draft. Frankly, I wish he was our 5th round pick. When I first seen Kassain step onto the ice with the other guys I suddenly knew what scouts meant when they said that Kassain was NHL ready. He was HUGE. Now you guys are probably loving this size difference but honestly, Kassain is just too slow :snooty: . I think I'm going to call him, Zack "I've eaten too many turkey dinners and drank too many beers so now I can't keep up with other junior players" Kassian. Not only was Kassain slower than a Christmas parade, but he showed no drive or determination to compete at this level. I know you guys might think that it's only a development camp and he probably wasn't going balls out but every other player was so he should have too. I went to the game with a Leafs fan and even he was burying his face in his hands when Kassain knocked the net off (x3), or when he marked the wrong player on a backcheck. Through the bullshit and Drew Staffordesque play I did see some positives. He was definitely showing signs of being a good agitator. My favourite Kassian play was when he jabbed Gudbranson in the back of the knee behind the play. Gudbranson crumbled to the ice in pain while Kassian skated away. About 10 seconds later Kassian skated behind the net where he was crushed by Gudbranson. Naturally the two exchanged words and had a fight with their gloves on. My favourite part of this fight was when they were heading to the penalty box and Gudbranson said something like, 'what are you doing man?'...and Kassian responded with 'don't be a bitch'. I luh dat!

Well all in all the games were good but I never saw much of the Sabres d prospects. Each team had 8 defence so you can see how much of a shit show that might have been. On another note that may please you guys and Leafs fans...Seguin was invisible. :lol: That is all.

#1 Hockey Nation.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:30 pm 
Star Sniper

jordano wrote:
My favourite part of this fight was when they were heading to the penalty box and Gudbranson said something like, 'what are you doing man?'...and Kassian responded with 'don't be a bitch'. I luh dat!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:37 pm 
Star Sniper

Sounds like Pysyk still has a little ways to go. Hopefully the next 2 years of junior (most likely) will do him good. I have a very good feeling about McNabb, and JGL (I like it) looks like a decent puck-moving dman.

Kassian has Milan Lucic written all over him. Hell, he might even be a bigger asshole. Hopefully, he'll have a fire lit under his ass once he gets to the NHL, because the lack of motivation is troubling, especially to Sabres fans, as we've seen quite enough of that...

Thanks for the info, and keep us posted!

jordano
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:48 pm 
Two-Way Center

Gudbranson claimed that Kassian jabbed him in the plums not the back of the knee. :naughty:

#1 Hockey Nation.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:55 pm 
Star Sniper

Hmm..Sounds like Kassian's a real........ Dick.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:57 pm 
Hart Winner

jordano wrote:
Gudbranson claimed that Kassian jabbed him in the plums not the back of the knee. :naughty:

:teasing-nutkick:

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Yeah, thanks for the report.

Definitely unfortunate to hear about Kassian that way. Hopefully, that pick won't turn out to be case of management feeling the heat of ferretesque criticisms about the team lacking size and toughness, and using a first round pick to address the size of the team instead of the skill.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:24 pm 
Star Sniper

I think we have enough skill; if BZK can open up the ice enough for our skill guys to flourish, he'll be way worth it.

Time will tell....