Technical guitarists bore me.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:44 pm 
Hart Winner

I voted Nickelback.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:45 pm 
Captain Dynasty

give an example of a technical guitarist. i feel thats more metal guitarists.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:49 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

You know those prog guitarists that just play endless solos of a gajillion notes and it just sound like there's no heart and soul behind it? That's technical guitar playing. Petrucci is a great example. Randy Rhoads was so fucking amazing because he could play technically but had so much feeling in his playing that (IMO) no other guitarist has been able to match since.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:49 pm 
Cup Winner

mechaphil wrote:
Technical guitarists bore me.

Depends on your definition of that, I guess mine is a bit different, because the ones I listed were technical, but they only played with soul and heart.

To me Paul Gilbert is a very technical player, but he is as good as anyone could hope for, because he knows his stuff, but his soul is what he plays by.

Rhoads was very dedicated to classical styling but his playing was from his heart always even if he was technical with his playing.

I mean my favorite guitar player just basically beat the shit out of a guitar and mangled to make some of the most beautiful sounds to ever come from that instrument, yet not a single person in the world has been able to play with that kind of power and soul at the same time and recreate his ability.

Also Mike, the joy of music, we all have our opinions even if mine doesn't agree with yours, it's not wrong.

I'm a rocker, and I just don't like today's rock genre, to me it's full of bands who are only doing enough to get noticed for a few years, and none of these bands are going to be around in 20 years, because none of them show the passions and true individuality of many that have stuck around.

No one seems to have that flare that make me want to find out who they even are. I'm old school, reason why I love the Blues and the old hair bands rock n roll. And reason why I want to play those styles.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:51 pm 
Captain Dynasty

thomas erak of the fall of troy is like that. but i do like early the fall of troy.

BlueandYellow
Hart Winner

Wait, an assload of guitar solos? Metallica is famous for that but they're fucking awesome (imho)

Skyline_BNR34
Cup Winner

mechaphil wrote:
You know those prog guitarists that just play endless solos of a gajillion notes and it just sound like there's no heart and soul behind it? That's technical guitar playing. Petrucci is a great example. Randy Rhoads was so fucking amazing because he could play technically but had so much feeling in his playing that (IMO) no other guitarist has been able to match since.

I agree with Rhoads for sure, Gilbert is the same way to me, if you listen to his Hendrix Blues stuff, he puts fast notes with soul.

Satriani is a good example of a guy who can play fast but knows how to do it, Vai is the same way.

Guys like Herman Li are just there to show boat.

Also Marty Friedman plays fast but has some soul.

Hammett is also a guy who makes his notes count it seems too. Lots of their slower songs the solos give me chills.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I 100% agree with Herman Li having no soul in his guitar. The guy is all style and no substance.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 pm 
Cup Winner

I am trying to strive to be like Rhoads with my playing, I love Over The Mountain and trying to learn that song.

Plus since I love me some SRV I gots the blues in me.

Rud wrote:

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:58 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Yea, the blues, man...there is absolutely NOTHING better than going into a dimly lit bar with a great blues band on stage. Holy shit.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

well, none of these bands are going to be around in 20 years because the music industry is so saturated with horrific bullshit crap fuck music, while the true great bands rarely see the light of day. the days of "listen to this! this is NEW!" has been replaced with "listen to THIS! everyone can identify with this!" thats why nickleback is so popular. so many people just assume its good music because the lyrics are catchy with a hint of bad boy influence (oh sex and drugs! these are rebels!)

nothing is ever the way it was. and this is another example.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 am 
Cup Winner

Yea, oh well, it's all that is popular nowadays.

I agree there is a lot of great talent out there in bands, but the ones we hear off aren't the ones doing it for the love, well who knows on that, most are selling out and playing what is cool and catchy.

John Mayer admitted he sold out to become famous because his true passion came from playing the Blues, but he went pop to become famous. You don't have SRV tattooed on your arm and not love the blues or that style.

Rud wrote:

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:09 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

The John Mayer Trio is fucking incredible. He might be one of the biggest douchebags on the planet, but he manipulated the fuck out of the system - get uberfamous off of shitty pop ballads so he can spend as much time as he wants playing awesome blues whenever he damn well feels like it.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:12 am 
Mrs. Miller

X-pensfan wrote:
I don't think either one of those bands deserve their success.

That's bullshit...you may not like their music, that's fine. But to say that they don't deserve their success...do you know anything about KoL? They've worked hard to get where they are. I'm sorry you get annoyed that the radio plays their hits over and over again...but that's what happens when you listen to radio stations that have a very narrow playlist with not much variety. This is nothing new.

I'm sick of people who criticize a band all because recently they got more mainstream and "sold out". If you don't care for a band because you just aren't into their music, then whatever. But to simply dislike a band all because their hits are played on the radio? Get over yourselves and stop acting so damn self righteous.

(my last paragraph wasn't really directed towards anyone in particular, it's just a really big annoyance of mine)

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:13 am 
Cup Winner

mechaphil wrote:
The John Mayer Trio is fucking incredible. He might be one of the biggest douchebags on the planet, but he manipulated the fuck out of the system - get uberfamous off of shitty pop ballads so he can spend as much time as he wants playing awesome blues whenever he damn well feels like it.

I don't fault him for it at all, he is an incredible guitar player, I really need to download his Trio's blues album though.

I wish the one song that SRV did that he covered "So Excited" wasn't blocked by youtube, because he did a fantastic job at it.

Rud wrote:

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:23 pm 
Star Sniper

fly as hale wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
I don't think either one of those bands deserve their success.

That's bullshit...you may not like their music, that's fine. But to say that they don't deserve their success...do you know anything about KoL? They've worked hard to get where they are. I'm sorry you get annoyed that the radio plays their hits over and over again...but that's what happens when you listen to radio stations that have a very narrow playlist with not much variety. This is nothing new.

I'm sick of people who criticize a band all because recently they got more mainstream and "sold out". If you don't care for a band because you just aren't into their music, then whatever. But to simply dislike a band all because their hits are played on the radio? Get over yourselves and stop acting so damn self righteous.

(my last paragraph wasn't really directed towards anyone in particular, it's just a really big annoyance of mine)

They just seem to be more of a marketing gimmick then a talented rock n roll band to me. Just no talent whores sucking harder and harder until somebody finally says, "Okay, I can make a buck off of you.". But then again I've always thought the same exact thing about Aerosmith and countless millions disagree with me about that, and yeah I'm sure that they really worked their asses (same with KoL) off to make it but I still don't think they deserve it. Seriously, have you ever REALLY listened to the song Dream On, have you? It's fucking awful...just awful. I know what I like and KoL aint it, but I do sincerely respect the fact that you're sticking up for what you like because I'll throw down with anybody who shits on music I like (Social Distortion, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Sonic Youth, etc.). To answer your question I don't know anything about KoL and more importantly I DON'T CARE. It's all just a part of their gimmick. "Oh my mom died, oh I ate corn dogs for an entire year", yeah yeah stop sucking then maybe I'll care. We all got problems art boys, work harder at your craft and STFU.

As for the radio I still listen because I am naive enough to want to believe that something good can still make it. I discovered Silversun Pickups by way of radio, and I liked what I heard so much that I decided to go see them play live. And guess what? The two bands that opened up for them I like even more. Cage the Elephant and An Horse. So some good can still come from the radio, if you remember to flip back after the commercials and crap are done.

Oh and BTW, I heard Your Sex is on Fire the other day and I sang along to it like mentally retarded person. And I laughed my ass off because I sounded BETTER then their constipated about to cry tone deaf singer. :whistle:

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:28 pm 
Star Sniper

All this talk about Randy Rhodes has me imagining just what he could have accomplished with his music career by now. He was determined to master every genre of the guitar if I'm not mistaken. And by master I mean the highest academically trained levels of music that are possible to obtain. There was NOTH-ING he could not do with that instrument, he could make it rain in a desert or shatter a yaks skull from 10,000 feet away. Such a loss.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 pm 
Mrs. Miller

X-pensfan wrote:

They just seem to be more of a marketing gimmick then a talented rock n roll band to me. Just no talent whores sucking harder and harder until somebody finally says, "Okay, I can make a buck off of you.". But then again I've always thought the same exact thing about Aerosmith and countless millions disagree with me about that, and yeah I'm sure that they really worked their asses (same with KoL) off to make it but I still don't think they deserve it. Seriously, have you ever REALLY listened to the song Dream On, have you? It's fucking awful...just awful. I know what I like and KoL aint it, but I do sincerely respect the fact that you're sticking up for what you like because I'll throw down with anybody who shits on music I like (Social Distortion, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Sonic Youth, etc.). To answer your question I don't know anything about KoL and more importantly I DON'T CARE. It's all just a part of their gimmick. "Oh my mom died, oh I ate corn dogs for an entire year", yeah yeah stop sucking then maybe I'll care. We all got problems art boys, work harder at your craft and STFU.

As for the radio I still listen because I am naive enough to want to believe that something good can still make it. I discovered Silversun Pickups by way of radio, and I liked what I heard so much that I decided to go see them play live. And guess what? The two bands that opened up for them I like even more. Cage the Elephant and An Horse. So some good can still come from the radio, if you remember to flip back after the commercials and crap are done.

Oh and BTW, I heard Your Sex is on Fire the other day and I sang along to it like mentally retarded person. And I laughed my ass off because I sounded BETTER then their constipated about to cry tone deaf singer. :whistle:

Yeah okay whatever I'm not even going to bother to defend them to you because clearly "you don't care".

I never understood why so many people are so passionate about bands that they don't like. If you simply don't like a band's or musician's music, then just don't listen to them. I don't know why you have to go into a whole spiel about how their music sucks or why they're just a gimmick and whatever "sob story" they have (last time I checked, Kings of Leon don't have one...they've just been around for a long time and worked hard before they became mainstream) is just clearly them trying to market themselves. Whatever man. I personally think they have a great sound and their lead singer certainly isn't tone deaf and I highly doubt you sounded better than him while you were driving. But you can continue rambling on about how much they suck and how they don't deserve their success, all while you're "not caring" about them.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Rud
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Is there still a music discussion going on here that I can wedge my opinion into?