It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Mr. Natural
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:19 pm 
7th Defenseman

This is Time Magazine's 100 "All-Time" songs. See how many you recognize.

The All-TIME 100 Songs in 180 Seconds
http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0 ... ernational

Like any best-of list it is mostly designed to stimulate discussion. No Bob Marley? Come on, mon.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

OK, as a discussion topic, why would the 100 greatest songs of all time all have been from 1923 or after? I have an answer by the way. On a separate note, I hate the tokenism and attempts to be modern. 1 song per performer. So The Stones and Lady Gaga both have equal representation. Makes me want to puke,

Mr. Natural
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 pm 
7th Defenseman

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
OK, as a discussion topic, why would the 100 greatest songs of all time all have been from 1923 or after? I have an answer by the way.

The popularization of the radio and phonograph? I'm guessing that before the '20s the greatest songs were measured by how much sheet music you sold.

Robert Crumb (the author and creator of Mr. Natural) believed music died in the '20s, because that is when we went from actively performing it to passively listening to it.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 pm 
Hart Winner

When that list hit the late 90's and 2000's it fell to shit.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:26 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Mr. Natural wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
OK, as a discussion topic, why would the 100 greatest songs of all time all have been from 1923 or after? I have an answer by the way.

The popularization of the radio and phonograph? I'm guessing that before the '20s the greatest songs were measured by how much sheet music you sold.

Robert Crumb (the author and creator of Mr. Natural) believed music died in the '20s, because that is when we went from actively performing it to passively listening to it.

These lists pretty much only deal in copyrighted music (or books). That's where the real money is for stores, or itunes/kindle now I guess too. I think the public domain cutoff is around 100 years, plus that there are lots of attempts to extend it beyond that. So by making a list of the last century really a list of the past 80 years or so, they give themselves a cushion to sell the stuff before it becomes uncopyrighted.

I was actually talking about this with a friend earlier this week in the context of digital books.

onguard
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 am 
Rink Rat

After reviewing the list, I have to say that I agree with some and others not so much. Again, like someone posted, no Bob Marley? Really?