All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:52 pm 
Cup Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/173384/4/Sabres-add-size-Signing-Big-Forward-John-Scott
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399743
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636880
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636880

So a local site, TSN, and NHL.com, and the Sabres own website all refer to him as a forward so I guess they're spinning it too. I get the fact that Scott could possibly play D in a pinch, but...

1) He wasn't very good at D when he was younger because he's VERY slow. Now he's older and slower.
2) Buffalo has a glut of d-men that leaves no room for Scott, but not as deep on bottom six forwards.
3) Ruff wants mobile d-men anyway, and we (I) saw how slow even Regehr looked at times, Scott would be a pylon back there.

I'm not sure how I have to spin anything to explain how Scott will play forward and not defense in Buffalo. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for anyone to cling on that he's still a d-man.

Again, it doesn't really matter. He's here for fists, not for hockey.

I say he sees 20 games max then. With an over/under of 10 games.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm 
Star Sniper

And more penalty mins than TOI...lol.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:48 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I don't care where he plays as long as he fills his role.

However, if you're going to insult someone and say they 'lost credibility', then you should probably get your facts straight first.

I guess you ignored these tidbits.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=486755 : "Wild Signs D John Scott To A Contract Sunday, 12.31.2006"
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/gamecenter ... 15_MIN@CAR : Box score from Scott's first career goal. Listed as a defenseman
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=619379 : Rangers trade for defenseman John Scott

Totally never played defense.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 am 
Power Forward

This whole fight about him being a dman or forward is pretty stupid. He's played both positions mostly on the defensive side though. Either way he's the exact same player if he were defenseman or a forward. He sucks. He's good for about 3 PTS. He's here for an enforcer role nothing more.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 am 
Captain Dynasty

30 goals 20 assists. any less, and ill be furious.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:48 am 
Star Sniper

Squanto wrote:

However, if you're going to insult someone and say they 'lost credibility', then you should probably get your facts straight first.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=486755 : "Wild Signs D John Scott To A Contract Sunday, 12.31.2006"
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/gamecenter ... 15_MIN@CAR : Box score from Scott's first career goal. Listed as a defenseman
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=619379 : Rangers trade for defenseman John Scott

Holy...you REALLY care that I "insulted" some 3rd party blogger/writer? Someone who was cited by a poster, but doesn't even post here???

My facts ARE straight. My first post said he's played forward for two years now. I know damn well he USED to be a d-man. At this time in his career he's a forward, and Buffalo doesn't have any room for him on defense even if they wanted him there.

I call out the inaccuracy of some random internet guy who described Buffalo as now having two big and tall d-men, and then you crap on me as if it should really matter to you. I haven't insulted anyone here, yet you develop a problem with me about it. Same old shit, different day.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 am 
Star Sniper

Jammerz04 wrote:
This whole fight about him being a dman or forward is pretty stupid. He's played both positions mostly on the defensive side though. Either way he's the exact same player if he were defenseman or a forward. He sucks. He's good for about 3 PTS. He's here for an enforcer role nothing more.

Yes I agree, his 20 games with 3 mins TOI isn't worth much discussion. I simply thought I would make it known that he's a forward now, because he's incredibly slow and would be a serious liability on Buffalo's d-corps. He can be much less of a liability as a forward.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Squanto wrote:

Holy...you REALLY care that I "insulted" some 3rd party blogger/writer? Someone who was cited by a poster, but doesn't even post here???

My facts ARE straight. My first post said he's played forward for two years now. I know damn well he USED to be a d-man. At this time in his career he's a forward, and Buffalo doesn't have any room for him on defense even if they wanted him there.

I call out the inaccuracy of some random internet guy who described Buffalo as now having two big and tall d-men, and then you crap on me as if it should really matter to you. I haven't insulted anyone here, yet you develop a problem with me about it. Same old shit, different day.

Yep. You're still oversensitive and can't handle it when someone calls you out for making a dumb statement.

The fact of the matter is Scott has played at both F and D, and anyone who refers to him TODAY as a defenseman isn't exactly wrong. Sure, the Sabres PROBABLY aren't going to use him back there. Doesn't mean he couldn't play back there if they asked him to.

The guy from Dobber wasn't wrong when he called Scott a defenseman. End of story. You were wrong to say he has no credibility because of that.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm 
Star Sniper

Not oversensitive, because it's only you nipping at my heels all the damn time. Sounds like rightful agitation to me. I didn't get irritated until you brought up "spinning", after saying he's played his whole career as a d-man. Maybe you misunderstood my initial post as stating that he's never been a d-man, but I said he's been a "forward for two years now" which should've inferred he wasn't a forward prior to that.

FWIW, I wasn't calling the guy out for saying he was a d-man. I called him out for saying he'll be a d-man in Buffalo, after regurgitating the same old unsubstatiated Roy crap. That's the difference between a regular fan talking hockey, and a guy apparently making a living out of reporting hockey. One can make a mistake, one should know the details. He's no different than other hockey reporters on bigger name sites like ESPN or TSN that know hockey, but don't know the Sabres well enough and make mistakes in their articles. People like us can call them out for it. It's what we're allowed to do as fans and a regular function of online sports forums. Didn't realize YOU would be so "oversensitive" about my opinion of some reporter that doesn't even post here. But yeah, it's all me...

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:40 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Jesus. Seriously guys?

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm 
PP Quarterback

Yeah well I can do a no handed "the goat". Yeah wrap your brain around that.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 pm 
Hart Winner

"I found blood in my urine this morning. Something might be wrong five!"

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ksquier89 wrote:

and now youve piqued my curiosity.

also, im fully torqued.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm 
PP Quarterback

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

and now youve piqued my curiosity.
also, im fully torqued.

Not to brag but I have done it while jumping off a diving board into a pool while doing a 360. Boom. :shock:

I am thinking Scott can be the dragon they steal from the park. More of a novelty then something you actually have a use for. Sure it is pretty badass for a house party every month or so but you just look like an ass if he's out there 9 out of 10 occasions. I mean it's a big ass doofy dragon. Who really gives two squirts of piss if the doofy ass dragon lumbers around on defense or as a winger? As long as he cracks Charas and Lucic's skulls together like a monkey trying to pry open a coconut I could care less.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:31 pm 
Star Sniper

I'd like to think Scott could enforce with guys like Lucic or Chara, but even if he gets the chance to be out there with them (at home when Ruff has last change), they won't fight him. Maybe Thronton would, but those other guys will be told, if they don't know better already, about what a horrible trade off it is to get a major or 10 min misconduct for messing with an ogre that has no skill value on the ice.

Scott's best use will be as a potential threat, but I doubt many will throw down with him, at least not the guys we'll want to see Scott pummel. It'll still be a little fun to watch if he hets out there with McCormick and Kaleta...for all of 3 mins anyway.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:53 am 
Garbage Man

OldTimeHockey wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
No more puck hogging W00T

We just got back 30 seconds of our powerplay.

HAHAHA totally true. Makes this deal completely worth it to recapture the lost PP time.......

"And Roy circles around along the boards, comes back to the blueline and...........coughs up the puck and it comes back the other way"