It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 pm 
Page Side

Assuming he's signed by the Sabres this week and reports to training camp, what kind of season are you expecting out of him?

30 goal scorer? 40 goal scorer? :dance: Bust? :doh:

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:52 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Well he better not be holding out for a payday then not show up for work.
If this starts to drag into training camp time I'm going to get miffed.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

25-30 goals, same with assists. hes a good player, second liner in the making.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:01 pm 
Star Sniper

To be honest, I'm not liking the holdout, to this point.

It doesn't "smell" right. It could be that his agent is burning up the lines, trying to protect his client's best interests. But, I get the distinct feeling that this may be a further indication of Stafford's need to have it his own way.

Just saying. I don't know that, if this weekend passes uneventfully, Drew will hit the ice for training camp.

He may think that it might put pressure on the Sabres, but I think that (with the current availability of seasoned and talented UFA's, at bargain-basement prices) Drew may suffer a loss of credibility and desirability.

He may end up sitting a great deal longer than he anticipated, if he blows off this (his best) deal.

As an aside: Mancari is also still a holdout.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 pm 
Cup Winner

Well I hope Stafford plays this year, we are a better team with him playing, even if he isn't the second coming of Gretzky.

I say he has signed, but they just are keeping us out of the loop on this one.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

If Stafford wants to hold out, and Darcy isn't feelin like paying a vet, there's always the rebuilding mentality of putting Kassian right into the mix if he has a good camp.

dontbethatguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 pm 
Brawler

If he's signed I think he's 25-30 tops. I'd like to see a break out year from him but I don't get the feeling he's going to have one.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:22 pm 
Star Sniper

mechaphil wrote:
...there's always the rebuilding mentality of putting Kassian right into the mix if he has a good camp.

There are a lot of analysts who believe that Kassian may be the one player taken in this year's draft who is most likely to take the ice this season - And that's quite an assessment.

This franchise may just be turning the corner, in terms of seeing draft picks finally come around.

Darcy seems to have discovered the "W"(HL) and that's been an influential piece of the entire decision-making process; scouting and drafting from a junior league that reflects the current (and possibly future) character of the NHL.

A greater number of league-ready prospects is what they've needed for so long. Performance (in the here and now) is much more immediate and productive than an undefined, future "potential".

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 pm 
Star Sniper

Like Dominic Moore; he has to be careful not to overplay his hand in negotiations............ He "ain't there" yet...

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:14 am 
Superstar Goalie

Its bothering me somewhat that there really has been no mention of this anywhere. Buffalo News, WGR, nothing.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:08 am 
Captain Dynasty

some good players and well respected and well mannered players have held out. fan favourite marty biron in 2000-2001 comes to mind.

adambuffalo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:28 pm 
First Rounder

At this point I don't think it's Stafford holding things up. In most cases it's the agent. I think Drew is happy in Buffalo and wants to play here. He seems to be a very layed back guy who enjoys playing. I think though his laid back personality is what holds him back from being a great player. To me he is the type of guy who has natural talent but doesn't drive himself to be the best. If Drew had the mentality of someone like Chris Drury, I think he would be a 40-50 goal scorer. Now that being said, let's look at the big picture.

The past few weeks has seen a lot of talk about potential offer sheets and trades involving RFAs. Burke being the main person involved. Now all this talk is about Kessel, Dubinsky and recently Babchuk. If Drew is worth as much as a lot of people are suspecting, that would seem to me that he would be included with the other RFAs whose names we've been hearing. Yet, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen a single rumor of any team being interested in Stafford.

Now if Stafford is looking for $3m +, I would consider letting him go and trying to get Kessel who will probably be getting around $4m. I know this is not going to happen and Sabres probably will end up overpaying for Stafford, but that's what I would do.

Maybe Drew read the article with Peca the other day, saw how Peca said he regretted holding out and will just sign.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:50 pm 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/792355.html

At this point, it's pretty obvious that it's the agent and Darcy in a pissing match. I believe Drew deserves a tad bit more that $575,000. I really don't understand the talent that Stafford has and it would be a shame to lose him....

No, Mancari was offered that with his Qualifying offer.

Stafford made just shy of 1 million last year. And his QO had to be at least 110% of what he made last year since he made under 1 million.

Stafford should just accept something like 2 million and call it even.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 pm 
Captain Clutch

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/792355.html

At this point, it's pretty obvious that it's the agent and Darcy in a pissing match. I believe Drew deserves a tad bit more that $575,000. I really don't understand the talent that Stafford has and it would be a shame to lose him....

No, Mancari was offered that with his Qualifying offer.

Stafford made just shy of 1 million last year. And his QO had to be at least 110% of what he made last year since he made under 1 million.

Stafford should just accept something like 2 million and call it even.

I was just going by what the Buffalo News reported. I would agree that 2 million is good for Stafford but his agent has convinced Drew that he can get Drew more..... :doh: :naughty:

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:06 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

If Stafford isn't at camp Saturday morning, immediately slot in Pommers on the top line and Kassian as the second line RW