All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

icehound
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:25 pm 
Star Sniper

Courtesy of TBN:

Work ethic of Sabres' Ellis earns Ruff's praise

"At first, it's hard to tell who's happier that Matt Ellis is a member of the Buffalo Sabres, the player or the organization. Both speak glowingly of each other, and the praise is genuine.

But when Ellis' words finally slow down a notch or two, the answer comes.

"It definitely feels like a home," Ellis said Friday in HSBC Arena. "I love it here. I won't lie to you. It's a great group of guys, management, coaching staff, right down. Great fan base. Growing up a half-hour from here [in Welland, Ont.], it doesn't get much better than this."

If it sounds like Ellis feels blessed, his actions show it. The 28-year-old soaks in every moment of his NHL existence and treats each one as a gift. How so? By shutting his mouth and going to work.

"He works extremely hard, if not the hardest on the team," center Paul Gaustad said. "He's just a good team guy. It's the epitome of what you want on your team."

ATTABOY, MATT!!! What I'm talkin' 'bout...

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:46 pm 
Garbage Man

ahh i love this!! i've always been a fan of matt ellis, because it's so obvious that he cares and always tries his hardest. He looked good during the preseason game I saw too. He deserves to be here and its obvious that he appreciates being here. I love a hardworking player, especially when that player loves Buffalo too :)

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:58 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

An Ellis McCormick Kaleta 4th line excites me...Although I have a feeling some nights we'll see Ellis, he's going to be the 13th forward on the roster, considering McCormick's superior faceoff ability, and the fact that Dan Paille is on the roster.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Mac-Connolly-Pommer
Hecht-Goose-Grier
Paille-McCormick-Kaleta

And then Matt Ellis, which is a shame, because I like him more than Paille, but at the same time, Paille does offer more of a scoring touch. In all honesty, it's a good problem to have.

Cheers to Ellis though, wish we could put his heart and work ethic in Stafford's body.

Squanto 7/27/2010

icehound
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:08 pm 
Star Sniper

...Somehow, I don't see McCormick making a regular line. I have a disconcerting feeling that Lindy's going to utilise him exactly in the way he did Peters.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:53 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I can agree with that to an extent Ice, but McCormick has been an absolute animal in the preseason games I've seen. Recording 4-8 hits per night, and did very well in the one fight I saw. Granted I only saw two games, but in both those games, he looked like a hockey player first, and an enforcer second. Either way...like I said, it's a good problem to have.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:00 pm 
Cup Winner

Well he is one guy you need on your team, no matter how he plays, good character guys like that makes the others look to see what he has had to work for his entire life.

This shows the other players who were gifted enough to not have to work as hard how fortunate they are.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:02 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

it's easy to see this guy plays with his heart. i wondered some nights why guys who played with no heart where on the ice and matt was in the booth. i mean if i remember, at one point ellis had a point streak going. I didn't say hecht's spot because it didn't take much to be better than hecht last season, and it would be disrespectful almost to say he was better than hecht, because lets face it the it didn't take much to be better than hecht last season.

TRBirdman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:59 pm 
Brawler

Perhaps it's misguided and naive, but in my book, hard work often trumps talent. Add a great attitude, and that's my kind of guy.

We need more like Matt. I just jumped on his fanwagon. :clap:

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:38 pm 
Cup Winner

After seeing him play some last season and reading about how hard he has to work I loved the guy.

Show how hard it is for some to have to make it in the NHL. Vanek doesn't have to try to put up 30 goals, but Ellis has to try every shift in order to put up 5, and that is what we need on this team, at least two of those guys is what we need.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Markus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:02 am 
Power Forward

If everyone one on this team had the heart of Ellis, we'd be in a good spot.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:04 am 
Franchise Defenseman

It's a shame that the people with the most heart tend to be the ones who have to work just to keep a spot on the team. That's what made players like Gretzky great, they didn't accept just being good.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Markus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 am 
Power Forward

Van_Da_Man wrote:
It's a shame that the people with the most heart tend to be the ones who have to work just to keep a spot on the team. That's what made players like Gretzky great, they didn't accept just being good.

Most of the time though, their jobs are to make those 1st and 2nd liners look good. They open up spots, and combat the tougher guys on the opposing team.

There are enough pure scorers in this world that every team could go with who could score the most goals for all 4 lines, but instead the last two lines are filled with tougher players.

BS1970
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:57 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Markus wrote:
If everyone one on this team had the heart of Ellis, we'd be in a good spot.

If everyone on this team had the heart of Ellis, we'd be in the top 5 in the league.

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

End The Curse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 am 
Star Sniper

Ellis: The anti-Hechtallinder.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:44 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I've been a fan of Matt Ellis since his first game as a Sabre when, on the penalty kill, he skated in from his position to block an open lane and deflect a shot wide with his knee. Ever since, I knew he was a solid dude. It's very nice to see praise like this for a guy who doesn't know if he'll ever play in the NHL again from game to game.

Bauter88
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:40 pm 
Power Forward

i have liked Ellis ever since he wore a Sabres sweater.. The guy puts in his work. Damn good player

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 pm 
Captain Clutch

Bauter88 wrote:
i have liked Ellis ever since he wore a Sabres sweater.. The guy puts in his work. Damn good player

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 pm 
Star Sniper

Hallelujah, Brothers and Sisters!

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 pm 
Star Sniper

Ellis being able to play center makes him an even more integral part of this team. He needs to be on that roster or else.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:21 pm 
Star Sniper

I sometmes wonder if this organization could spot a "real" Hockey player, if he skated over and put his size 10 blade up their nancy asses.