It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

AFTER READING MY POST, Where do you think the Sabres will finish in the east?
1st 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
2nd 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
3rd 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
4th 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
5th 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
6th 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
7th 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
8th 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Miss the Playoffs 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27
PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:59 pm 
Page Side

As you all know, for the past couple of years, I've remained optimistic about this team; from Darcy Regier all the way down to Mike Weber.

While most people are counting us out due to a lack of upgrades on paper, the more I think, the more I see the Sabres finishing in the top 5 in the eastern conference... possibly even the top 3, as I see Boston slipping from last season, and the Sabres vying for first in the Northeast.

Here is a list of the top 5 reasons the Sabres will take the NHL by storm this season.

1. Core Players, Prime Ages

The average age of the Sabres core of Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Gaustad, and Stafford is 26. Statistically, most players really hit their strides at that age. These players know the kind of effort it takes to make the playoffs, as they were there just 2 years ago. I think you'll see a much stronger group effort out of them this year, partly because:

2. New System, New Success

Last year, I became a huge critic of Lindy Ruff due to the style of system he was running. Theoretically, his defense first approach and play tough nature should work. But you have to have the right players for the job. Our set of small, speedy forwards cannot effectively run that system. It's a miracle that we even came close to making the playoffs. You often heard of players being unwilling to buy into Lindy's system last year. That's the reason why.

This year, Lindy is utilizing the talent we have to draft the system, rather than the other way around. You're going to see a very aggressive Buffalo team this year. The puck pressure and relentlessness in the offensive and neutral zones will remind you much of some certain years prior, only with less odd man rushes and more defensive responsibility; a hybrid. You can see the players are much more passionate about playing under Ruff's rules now, and you can see how excited he is to get the year under way because of it.

3. Veteran Presence Has Returned

Another reason I was critical of the team last season was the lack of veterans at forward. So what did Regier do this offseason? He brought in three of them. Jeff Cowan, Cody McCormick, and Mike Grier will all give the locker room the extra drive that it was lacking last year, not to mention add a tremendous physical edge. As a bonus, Grier will help out big time on an already successful penalty kill unit.

4. Rookies and Depth

I'm sure Darcy and Lindy's heads are spinning trying to figure out who they're going to keep up and send down after tremendous camps out of Gerbe, Kennedy, and Myers. Successful teams have multiple lines that can score goals, and both Gerbe and Kennedy are ready to fulfill that requirement for Buffalo.

In addition, Tyler Myers. Enough said about that. :dance:

5. Ryan Miller

Players at camp said that he appears to be in mid season form. Are we about to see a Vezina calibre performance out of Ryan Miller this season? I wouldn't rule it out. The 29 year old has a lot riding on this season, between leading the Sabres to their first playoff appearance in 3 seasons, and beating Tim Thomas for the starting position on the olympic roster.

Still think my predictions are a stretch? Lets take a look at least season.

1-5 versus Ottawa, and 0-4 versus Atlanta. Lets say we salvage 8 points out of that situation. That would have left us with 99 points, good for 5th in the east.

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for the ride of your life in 2009-2010.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:03 pm 
Mrs. Miller

A very nice, well thought out assessment. We'll see what happens. All I know is that it's going to be one hell of a ride starting on Saturday...

Hockey Night in Buffalo

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

i think you need to see paille step up and tallinder (Myers right now should play over tallinder) and hecht to have a rebound. if any of those three become a drag and are kept up i can see some of that bad feeling rubbing off onto the rest of the team. i hope it doesn't. i hope the right thing is done if those three do slip. I like the assessment, just wonder your opinion on those three and their impact.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm 
Page Side

psychemedisabrefan wrote:
i think you need to see paille step up and tallinder (Myers right now should play over tallinder) and hecht to have a rebound. if any of those three become a drag and are kept up i can see some of that bad feeling rubbing off onto the rest of the team. i hope it doesn't. i hope the right thing is done if those three do slip. I like the assessment, just wonder your opinion on those three and their impact.

I'll be honest; my assessment includes the assumption that Myers will play regular minutes in favor of Tallinder.

While I really, really do not like Hecht, I liked what I saw out of him against Toronto. That was solid play, and if he moves like that this season, I'll have no reason to dislike him.

Paille, I'm not quite sure what to think about. However, I don't think his performance makes or breaks our season.

TRBirdman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:31 pm 
Brawler

Nice work. Me likey too.

But, puhleeeeeze, NOT 1st! That's like being on SI's cover. (We probably don't have to worry.)

You made me all crazy positive, so I got a little carried away and voted 4th.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:52 pm 
Star Sniper

Nice post.

To add a little more positive thoughts to chew on, let's also consider that Butler should really come into his own after a great debut last season, we are unlikely to repeat last season's epic injury losses of Miller, Vanek, Rivet and Connolly for extended periods, plus we have removed the Max cancer and the Peters ineptitude from the roster.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

slesh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:46 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I firmly believe this team will finish in the top 4. Actually, I am committed to the 2 or 3 spot "IF" they can take the division. The only real question that would put this in jeopardy is can Miller stay injury free?

If Miller goes the season injury free I see 2 or 3, but 4 would be the basement for this team.
Also, I see Hecht and/or Tallinder leaving prior to the deadline. I think Darcy has finally learned his lesson on conservative actions at trade deadline, he will most likely go for draft picks as I agree with you, our depth seems to be decent.

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 pm 
Garbage Man

I think Fourth is a solid guess at this point. I'm excited to see what the team can do this season. Saturday can't come soon enough. Great post PSP, it was very well thought out.

Lets Go Buffalo!!

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:32 pm 
Star Sniper

Fourth in the East? Wow.

I'd be happy with 6th or 7th...

TRBirdman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:36 pm 
Brawler

icehound wrote:
Fourth in the East? Wow.

I'd be happy with 6th or 7th...

I know. But PuckSniper served kool-aid, and I was thirsty . . . had just a little sip. :shifty: Only a little. Honest.

It's "think happy thoughts day." ;)

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:48 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

That was a happy vibes post right there, PSP. I dig your logic. I'm gonna go with 5th, because it's making the playoffs and doing really well, but not unrealistically so. If Myers plays, steals a roster spot, and becomes Jesus on skates, then I'll think about a higher place. Until them, I'm rollin' with 5th.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:55 pm 
Star Sniper

I chose 6th... and I think we'd all take that right now if offered. Thing is, most often now the point differential from 5th to 10th is a matter of 5-6 points, so it could go anywhere in that pile.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

if hecht and tallinder can actually help the team and not drag it down, the sabres will improve by that factor by 5 points alone. i really really do think hecht will have a better season then last year. not saying hes going to be good, but better. cant get much worse.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:05 pm 
Star Sniper

Never. Ever. Say something can't get much worse...Speaking from experience, the minute one says that, things become incredibly worse...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 pm 
Power Forward

i think alot of fans are starting to act like teenagers going though puberty, and wanting to hook up......i understand....it is only natural to get excited, and be optimistic for the new season...so i'll try to be too....all summer long i was thinking around 10th place in the east...

so what did i vote for? 8th...there ya go...i could possibly see if all the planets alligned right with what you have said that they could make 8th....

now...if that does happen AND darcy can do some tinkering with some good trades, hell we might just get around 5th....but we'lll forget about relying on him....

so there you go....i'm starting to feel something fuzzy between my legs, and i'll go with 8th after reading your post (but only if the planets alligned themselves correctly)

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:50 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

MakinItLookMean wrote:
i think alot of fans are starting to act like teenagers going though puberty, and wanting to hook up......i understand....it is only natural to get excited, and be optimistic for the new season...so i'll try to be too....all summer long i was thinking around 10th place in the east...

so what did i vote for? 8th...there ya go...i could possibly see if all the planets alligned right with what you have said that they could make 8th....

now...if that does happen AND darcy can do some tinkering with some good trades, hell we might just get around 5th....but we'lll forget about relying on him....

so there you go....i'm starting to feel something fuzzy between my legs, and i'll go with 8th after reading your post (but only if the planets alligned themselves correctly)

Why so low? it's not like we got worse. The only reason we missed the playoffs was because of a hit on Miller at the end of the year. (we were still a .500 team without Vanek and like 1-3456167and 1/2 without miller) If we didn't lose him then we would have made the playoffs.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 am 
Franchise Defenseman

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
This year, Lindy is utilizing the talent we have to draft the system, rather than the other way around. You're going to see a very aggressive Buffalo team this year. The puck pressure and relentlessness in the offensive and neutral zones will remind you much of some certain years prior, only with less odd man rushes and more defensive responsibility; a hybrid. You can see the players are much more passionate about playing under Ruff's rules now, and you can see how excited he is to get the year under way because of it.

Not to be all Buzz Killington...but where are you getting this from? Either you have some pipeline into the locker room you've not shared with us, or this is all just conjecture. I'd LOVE for what you're saying to be true, I just dont know how you can make these statements with any confidence.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 am 
Star Sniper

...These are shiny, happy times - We haven't won anything, yet. But, we haven't started losing the heartbreakers, either.

The blush of the new season is upon us all. This is simply exuberance.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am 
Star Sniper

Premature fanjaculation... Hey, if we can't get off now when can we?

TRBirdman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 am 
Brawler

End The Curse wrote:
Premature fanjaculation... Hey, if we can't get off now when can we?

Guilty :oops:

The first step towards a cure is acknowledging that we have a problem.

(Fanjaculation??? :lol: )

Last edited by TRBirdman on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.