It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:33 pm 
Star Sniper

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=BUF&season=0910

This site has just been updated once more to reflect the current roster. Please notice at the bottom the 56.7 million cap hit. All summer there were complaints about why Darcy didn't sign this player or that player, when in fact there was no room without trading Hecht or Tallinder. Let's not pretend that Darcy didn't try to trade these players, but if none of us want those guys around there aren't any GMs that want them or their contracts either.

Next summer there will be a potential of 14 million dumped from mostly expendable players, aside from Kennedy and Kaleta. I'm sure they will be retained, but the other spots will be open for MacArthur (if he produces this season), Gerbe, Weber, Brennan, or any respectable FA signing. With the better part of the roster intact, we might actually have some hope for a Cup contender by then.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:44 pm 
Cup Winner

We'll be able to actually sign someone when we get three guys on our roster who won't make more than a Million.

Weber should be up full time next year also, with Gerbe, and probably Gogulla or another one of the young forwards.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:22 am 
Superstar Goalie

zomg teh salariez cap izz a strukshr kreeted bah gollysono dnt u no enytingggggg

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if mgt does try to keep Lydman...but I don't think they'll move heaven and earth to keep him.

icehound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:05 pm 
Star Sniper

Now, if Tommy G. and Larry (the pufter) could see past their own dicks, and buy out a couple of useless, douchy contracts...the Sabres might even make a deep playoff-run, and earn these idiots a bunch of dough.

meh...Who's kidding whom?

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:15 pm 
Power Forward

golisano is not being cheap...but obviously the money was spent in the wrong ways

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

SabresKings2624
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm 
Rink Rat

MakinItLookMean wrote:
golisano is not being cheap...but obviously the money was spent in the wrong ways

This.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:09 pm 
Star Sniper

That's for sure. The arguments over who's fault it is are endless. I'm not really interested in all that right now, but it's fair to say that Golisano is overpaying by about seven million based on production.

Vanek - nothing against him, but he really is a 5 mil player...not 7
Pominville - he's overpaid by at least a mil with a 5.3 mil cap hit
Hecht - his numbers are worthy of a 1.5 mil deal, not 3.5
Tallinder - he's a 500k player, not 2.5 mil

We could argue about nickels and dimes with other players, but those are the obvious no-brainer examples. Regardless, Golisano isn't (and shouldn't be) part of the player evaluation process. He should be willing to sign checks though, and this season he obviously is.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 pm 
Cup Winner

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
That's for sure. The arguments over who's fault it is are endless. I'm not really interested in all that right now, but it's fair to say that Golisano is overpaying by about seven million based on production.

Vanek - nothing against him, but he really is a 5 mil player...not 7
Pominville - he's overpaid by at least a mil with a 5.3 mil cap hit
Hecht - his numbers are worthy of a 1.5 mil deal, not 3.5
Tallinder - he's a 500k player, not 2.5 mil

We could argue about nickels and dimes with other players, but those are the obvious no-brainer examples. Regardless, Golisano isn't (and shouldn't be) part of the player evaluation process. He should be willing to sign checks though, and this season he obviously is.

Remember the whole deal with Vanek, was not their fault entirely.

Pominville, well other players who are scoring 80 points are making five million, he earned that contract by scoring 80 points.

Hecht Earned his for having a great year the year he got the exstension.

Tallinder earned his contract for being a great defensmen at the time.

The thing the NHL needs to do is let them renegotiate contracts. The NFL does it and it works just fine.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:42 am 
Star Sniper

I agree that Regier did not screw up in those contracts...except for Hecht. Market issues forced the price on the other deals, but Hecht did not ever have a season worth 3.5 mil, nor could anyone ever think he would be a 3.5 mil player. I guess it was over compensation after the B and D issue.