It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

dont be ridiculious. ive praised buffalo for a long time, and enjoyed the time i spend there. everyone should be disappointed by the lack of a sell out for a season opener a day prior to the game. if thats shitting on your town, id have to assume you to be a little over sensitive.

JD1970
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:28 pm 
7th Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
dont be ridiculious. ive praised buffalo for a long time, and enjoyed the time i spend there. everyone should be disappointed by the lack of a sell out for a season opener a day prior to the game. if thats shitting on your town, id have to assume you to be a little over sensitive.

In case you haven't noticed, the US economy has gone down the toilet this year.
Maybe some people have better things to spend their money on, like food.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:57 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Hey, look. The game sold out.

Guess we're not a bunch of poor degenerates after all.

For the record, I would not be disappointed one bit if the game hadn't sold out. This team has missed the playoffs for two years running, and I don't blame fans one bit if they decided they wanted to wait and see before spending their hard earned money on tickets to see them play.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:10 pm 
Star Sniper

This was maybe the dumbest thread I've seen in a long time. Gratutous, and clearly intended to provoke reaction.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:11 pm 
Mrs. Miller

I'm much more disappointed about the game not selling out by Friday than I am about us losing.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:19 am 
Captain Dynasty

you guys are just reaching now. it was merely to say the game isnt sold out. if you guys want to take it as a hit to the city, and to cause confrontation, feel free. it wasnt, and nor do i care.

Sneaky E
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:07 am 
Garbage Man

I do get what Mike was saying, and I don't seeing it as being a knock. It was a long offseason, and while there are the contributing factors of the economy and the playoffs, it is odd that people weren't immediately chomping at the bit to be there.

Sold out anyway, so it's a moot point now.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:34 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
you guys are just reaching now. it was merely to say the game isnt sold out. if you guys want to take it as a hit to the city, and to cause confrontation, feel free. it wasnt, and nor do i care.

I'm still trying to get your point. So there were tickets available 36 hours before the puck drop. If you had done some research instead of just quoting a single article, you would have known that number was less than 500.

Even the article you linked talked about a league wide trend in ticket sales.

Quote:
Hockey arenas are putting down their sheets of ice this week in preparation for the 2009-10 NHL season; and while many box offices and ticket offices have been busy selling season packages, the usually bankable sellout for the home opener isn't the case in certain markets.

THAT is the crux of the article.

Another relevant comment.

Quote:
The current economic crisis, coupled with disenchanted fans, are surely having an impact on ticket sales all throughout sports. In a time when athlete salaries are rising annually while Joe Fan's income and savings are dwindling, sports teams need to find innovative ways to sell their seats to fan bases that are rearranging their personal budgets -- which frequently do not feature large "entertainment" budget anymore.

It was a decent analysis of why ticket sales are down, and frankly wasn't even a check of every team in the league. The guy just spot checked teams (like Buffalo) who are fairly reliable selling out on opening night.

Not taking shots at Buffalo?

Quote:
still, not a great sign from a team that tried to get illitches "hockeytown" copyright.

So what the fuck is that?

You completely ignored every relevant fact as to why ticket sales are down (league wide) just so you could say we should be disappointed that the game wasn't sold out 6 weeks in advance. It has ZILCH to do with our fanbase. NOTHING.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

dude. let it go. its disappointing to me that the game wasnt sold out in hurry. if you want to read into it as a bash on the fanbase, then so be it. but it wasnt.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
dude. let it go. its disappointing to me that the game wasnt sold out in hurry. if you want to read into it as a bash on the fanbase, then so be it. but it wasnt.

Yeah, well with comments like that, what did you expect? From one of the most often bashed on fan bases and most often bashed on cities...

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

alex, im not sittin pretty in the sun belt myself.

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:42 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I would say that what he said is more... Hmm. Not "Oh, look, Buffalo's grouped with NJ, Anaheim, and Atlanta for not selling out! HAHA! How pathetic!" but "Buffalo hasn't sold out? And those are the only other teams that haven't? WTF is going on?"

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:24 pm 
Star Sniper

mechaphil wrote:
It'll be sold out before the puck drops.

Philamus or Nastradamus...? ;)

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.