All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

SchonyGal
 Post subject: Weber wants his job!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Per TBN: http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/791572.html

Mike Weber thinks he's ready to compete for a regular NHL job.
Weber says he shouldn't be overlooked
By John Vogl
News Sports Reporter

Mike Weber easily qualifies as the Buffalo Sabres' forgotten man. He hasn't played since February. He plays arguably the team's most crowded position. He's competing with a prospect who dwarfs him in intrigue, attention and stature.

It's understandable if the 21-year-old already gets lumped with yesterday's news. Well, restart the presses. Weber is intent on becoming front-page material again.

The third-year defenseman, skating with the Sabres' rookies this week in preparation for Saturday's start of training camp, plans to move from the background to the starting lineup. And he plans to do it soon.

"My goal from Day One when I was 18 years old and came here was to make this team," Weber said Thursday. "I feel like I'm finally in a position where it's my spot. I'm 21 years old now. I'm a little bit older, a little bit more mature.

"This is my season."

Weber has reason to be confident. He sees what everyone else sees. The NHL is transitioning back to a league where toughness reigns, and that's his game. The 6-foot-2, 211-pounder would rather hit an opponent than score a goal.

Also in his favor is that's exactly what the Sabres have been missing. Their offseason mantra, echoed from the top down, was they needed more grit. Weber is eager to supply it.

"I feel like the team is going in the right direction for my style of play," he said between workouts in HSBC Arena.

It helps that he's healthy, too. Weber played just 49 games last year, including seven with the Sabres, before undergoing shoulder surgery in February. The final cut of training camp spent the closing months of the season in the Buffalo press box. His nights consisted of lonely elevator rides and online scoreboard watching to see how his minor-league mates in Portland were doing.

"I can't express how excited I am to just finally get back on the ice and compete again," Weber said. "That was my first experience ever missing that much time and having a major injury like that with my shoulder."

"This summer, I just had a lot of time to think, a lot of time to go over my game and my style of play, kind of watch video with [pro scouts] Dennis Miller and Jon Christiano. I've had a long summer to regroup here and get after it."

Weber's main problem is he's not alone. Coach Lindy Ruff loves a six-man defensive rotation (though he usually keeps seven on the roster). There are at least nine guys who believe they deserve a spot.

Craig Rivet, Chris Butler, Toni Lydman, Henrik Tallinder, Andrej Sekera and Nathan Paetsch are back from last season's team. Steve Montador was added as an unrestricted free agent. And then there's Tyler Myers. The 6-8 defenseman had a monster year in juniors last season, and the 19-year-old will get the most attention of anyone in training camp.

Weber admires them all, but he's not moving out of the way for any of them.

"You're always in competition with someone," he said. "Whether it's taking a job from someone who has a wife and kids, or trying to prevent someone from taking a job that's younger than you, I kind of understand that. That's kind of the name and the business of this game. I'm more than willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to be a full-time player here.

"Hopefully, I open their eyes a little more."

PuckSniperPensel
 Post subject: Re: Weber wants his job!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:10 pm 
Page Side

I really hope Weber gets a spot on this team.

We're talking about a very talented physical defenseman that's been taking a back seat to the likes of Tallinder and Sekera.

icehound
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 pm 
Star Sniper

Well, Mikey's going to have more competition than in previous years, and he better be up to the task.

What, with Sekera, DiPenta, Myers, Montador, Paetsch and Butler all looking to fight it out behind Tallinder, Lydman and Rivet - He had better bring his "A" game.

He'll be facing a tougher field and greater expectations. Provided Lindy isn't just "going through the motions" on this, as it seems he has in the last couple of seasons.

I'm hoping that Tallinder, Lydman and Rivet also have to earn making the cut. No free passes.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I knew Rob was going to bust that out hahaha

I hope no one's job is safe on this blueline. If that truly were the case, I'd see Butler, Myers, Weber, Rivet, Lydman, and Montador make the club. I'd be happy with Sekera over Montador.

But we all know that this isn't how the Sabres work. I fear Weber and/or Myers don't make the squad.

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:44 pm 
Garbage Man

arg. Tallinder being here still makes things a lot more complicated. Personally looking at last seasons Hank, I'd rather give Weber the spot over him. I love Hank to death, but I just think last season he kinda shit the bed a little.
I guess we'll see what happens.
All I know is, I just wanna see some god damn hockey again!

icehound
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:59 pm 
Star Sniper

Holy Shyte! Yer woman is falling down (the hole) again....!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:31 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I hope he has the patience to wait a year for Tallinder's contract to expire. Then he'd be a shoo in for sure

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:49 pm 
Star Sniper

He doesn't have much choice...........

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.