It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:33 am 
Page Side

And I love it.

4 man attack on offense. 2 men on the forecheck. Defensemen pinch on seemingly every play.

We've returned to run and gun, with a modern NHL twist.

Get ready for a fun season.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:39 am 
Power Forward

WHOO HOO! I kinda noticed that feel from 05-06 tonight... and I really enjoyed it, I have a good feeling about this season fellas!

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:47 am 
Page Side

Did you see Myers go all the way to the goal tonight?

It's like having 3 wingers.

It's called smothering. And when you make a team feel like they're being smothered, you create all kinds of turnovers, and you keep the play in the neutral and offensive zones, instead of your own.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:50 am 
Power Forward

Ya... I was impressed by Myers yet again, he should stay up no matter what... he has become a real asset.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:06 am 
Captain Clutch

Honestly, I think Lindy is using this system because he has players now that can be effective with it.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

We look great. We hit, score, and play defense. I love it.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:30 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

The defense is pretty choking, honestly. Miller hasn't had this much help getting the puck away from the net in years.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:42 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil wrote:
The defense is pretty choking, honestly. Miller hasn't had this much help getting the puck away from the net in years.

Yeah, we've done an excellent job of clearing it out, not just in front of the net, but out of the zone on the PK and in empty net situations.

I remember last year, our pk consisted of hoping miller could save the 5-7 shots they put on us, ditto for empty net situations.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 am 
Cup Winner

sabresindc wrote:
Honestly, I think Lindy is using this system because he has players now that can be effective with it.

Yea, we added grit back into our team, which helps keep the other team guessing who is going to get hit and who is going to score, or shoot.

Also having another leader on our team works wonders. Rivet can deal more with defense and Grier is taking on the role for forwards.

Having guys on your team who makes you responsible for your mistake is what this team has lacked lately. And being positive and trusting in the system you play in.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I missed this system. As soon as the top six forwards on the team get their eyes fixed, the goal scoring will be boffo.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:16 am 
More Heart Than Skill

An interesting observations, Pensel. That was an exciting time. Now if only all those turnovers they've generated can start turning into goals!

Ham

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:48 am 
Garbage Man

got the drive, now just looking for the finish. If we can keep this intensity then the goals will come in time.
:)
it's definitely an exciting start to the season!

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 am 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil wrote:
I missed this system. As soon as the top six forwards on the team get their eyes fixed, the goal scoring will be boffo.

If Drew Stafford had ESP, would you say he had a fourth sense?

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 am 
Star Sniper

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

...I think you might be a bit generous, there.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am 
Page Side

icehound wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

...I think you might be a bit generous, there.

:lol:

This is ALMOST as bad as my "quiet boards" blunder earlier this season.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:56 am 
Star Sniper

I think this team incorporates the best of the 2005-06, plus added toughness and less fancy shit. I love that we're rolling 4 lines again, have a defense stout enough to push the puck and take the body, plus the team speed to run most opponents into the ice.

It's early, but unlike last year when we had a fast start but were often outplayed, this year we are really forcing pace, dominating shots and scoring opportunities, and owning possession time advantage. All this, coupled with Miller playing at the top of his game, shows the potential for us to be a very nasty team to handle this year.

Most importantly, I'm happy to see the team playing with heart again.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:01 am 
Star Sniper

Those who are working hardest need to demand more of themselves and all around them. Set the bar higher - Each practice, each game.

Championships aren't won by chubby, easily pleased, non-competitors.

I want to see this team on the verge of tearing itself apart - Then taking it out on the opposition, night after night.

THAT would put a sweet grin on my stupid face, that could not be erased.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 am 
Cup Winner

End The Curse wrote:
I think this team incorporates the best of the 2005-06, plus added toughness and less fancy shit. I love that we're rolling 4 lines again, have a defense stout enough to push the puck and take the body, plus the team speed to run most opponents into the ice.

It's early, but unlike last year when we had a fast start but were often outplayed, this year we are really forcing pace, dominating shots and scoring opportunities, and owning possession time advantage. All this, coupled with Miller playing at the top of his game, shows the potential for us to be a very nasty team to handle this year.

Reacquiring Grier is a huge thing with heart. Especially with the leader he is on this team.

Everyone on the bottom 2 lines is playing with heart, and they've been rewarded for it, and soon the top 2 lines will see their hard work and do the same.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 am 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
End The Curse wrote:

Reacquiring Grier is a huge thing with heart. Especially with the leader he is on this team.

Everyone on the bottom 2 lines is playing with heart, and they've been rewarded for it, and soon the top 2 lines will see their hard work and do the same.

One can only hope.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:42 am 
Page Side

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
End The Curse wrote:

One can only hope.

I don't think we've really had a problem with the first two lines playing with a lack of heart either though. They've been flying, generating good chances... they just need to make the decision to shoot a little more instead of pass.