All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 pm 
Star Sniper

Hmmm...this isn't what I expected.

Quote:
Buffalo, NY (WGR550) -- The Buffalo Sabres are on the ice at HSBC Arena following their 6-2 win over the Detroit Red WIngs last night. Forward Thomas Vanek suffered an upper body injury and will miss weeks, according to head coach Lindy Ruff following the game. Adam Mair has taken Vanek's spot on the wing with Derek Roy and Drew Stafford. The rest of the lines remain the same as last night. Dan Paille and Nathan Paetsch are the extra forwards as well.

Stay tuned to WGR Sports Radio 550 and wgr550.com for any updates on Vanek's injury.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Last edited by End The Curse on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:22 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Dreakon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:32 pm 
7th Defenseman

Wait... Mair is going to be on our top line?

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 pm 
Star Sniper

Dreakon wrote:
Wait... Mair is going to be on our top line?

Yeah...it seems that way. I'm having trouble believing they would go with Mair over Paille in trying to replace a skill player, but I guess it's true.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 pm 
Star Sniper

I can see this as working.

Mair's toughness and speed will open up time and space for the other two - It's how we started the season, last year. A grinder on every line.

...It was successful then, it may yet be successful again.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:40 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Ok, Mair may be ready to jump in and play painfree. But, wouldn't it be a little wiser to drop him maybe on the 2nd or 3rd line and see how that pans out first, instead of plunking him in Vanek's spot on the top line? I mean, I was looking forward to him coming back to the lineup, but I think there is a little more skill else where we could pull from in Vaneks' absence.

Although he contributed 2 goals last night, most of our scoring/chances came from elsewhere. So I'm hoping everyone else can pull up their socks and start potting some pucks. Pommer's gatta get going and shoot the damn puck more instead of trying to play Capt. setup.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Dreakon
7th Defenseman

I don't hate the idea, especially if it works. Interesting choice though.

End The Curse
Star Sniper

the strangest part is that they would make Mair the one to take the top line when he's been out of action for so long. Why have him be the one to log 18 minutes with top line pressure? I would have moved up Kennedy or Ellis, but hey, I could be wrong...

Dreakon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:43 pm 
7th Defenseman

Maybe Mairsy has been ripping it up in practice lol.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:45 pm 
Superstar Goalie

We'll get a chance to see how this pans out on Friday night. Ok, I know, it's the Islanders. But I guess I can see why Lindy is adding Mair to the top line with that game coming up. Not saying it'll be an easy one and no disrespect to the Isles, but I'd sooner see Mair get more ice time against a team like them as opposed to a team like the Craps, Sharks, Rags or the Wings just coming back from injury.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Mair on the top line? And instead of Paille? I love Lindy, but man, he does some STUPID things sometimes...

Los9090
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:38 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Interesting, I'm sure Paille is stirring about this.

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:50 pm 
Power Forward

personally i think it's time for mair and paille to be gone....their time here is up, imo...i was kind of hoping to see paetsch in there just to see what he could do on offense....

don't like the idea of mair on the top line either...

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:53 pm 
You know it could work out well. With Mair's ability to sit in front of the net it could be a good fit.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:00 pm 
Star Sniper

The benefit of a tough guy on the top line is that it creates extra space and respect for the skill players to maneuver. The problem is that it reduces the potential scoring when that player is limited in skill. Maybe next season Kassian will make the team and bring us the best of both worlds.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:44 pm 
Cup Winner

In the other articles, it is just for practice for now.

He can't play because he isn't activated and still needs to pass his physical and such.

It has to be either Paille or Paetsch right now, since they were both healthy scratches the past four games.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BS1970
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Maybe they're going to move the MacArthur-Connolly-Pominville line to be the "first" line, and have Mair-Roy-Stafford be the "second" line. I kinda like this idea, but I'll reserve complete judgment until I see how this really pans out.

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

Last edited by BS1970 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

This intrigues me. I am intrigued.

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:56 pm 
Superstar Goalie

O....K...

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

Markus
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:13 pm 
Power Forward

I really want Paille to get in the action, but maybe this will work out.

Even as a big Paille fan, when his time DOES come this season, he better kick it into gear. 2 seasons ago he could have been a "mvp" contender as far as our team goes, and last year he was as bad as Hecht.

Ruff needs to get him in there eventually.